Questions about Cruising to New England and Canada

Karen1956

Hi Sue.. I'm on your cruise.... our roll call is terrible... are you posting?

I did post there a while back. I'm on 'the list'

I see you're from Michigan. I hope you enjoy your East Coast experience.

I don't know if you've been east before, but you will be BLOWN AWAY by NYC if you've never been before. Sailing out of Manhattan is great (sorry Bayonne,NJ isn't the same.)

This will be my first solo cruise and my first Carnival cruise and my first cruise since 2008.

We did a b2b Boston-Quebec-Boston last year - Sept 27 - October 11. It was pretty cool weather (which I personally like). But it made for a peculiar cruise in the sense that the pool deck wasn't used nearly as much as in a warm weather cruise.

On the sunny days, people would gather in their fleeces and play cards or games, and hang out with their friends. But it also rained a lot, and when it did the weather was kind of raw, so there weren't many mid-day barbecue events taking place. You still had to cut through the pool deck to get to the buffet from our room so we crossed many more times than we ever spent time out there.

That said, only one of the port days was exceptionally rainy and cold. Many were brilliantly bright and crisp and lovely. On some tours we warmed up enough to remove a fleece.

I think if you go into it understanding that it's not a sunbathing/swimming kind of itinerary, you'll be fine. Take layers!

Cybercat, I think early September is one of the best times of the year in Halifax- hot during the day and cool for sleeping at night. The ocean has warmed up and swimming at all of our beautiful beaches is amazing. Hope you all have a great cruise, and the weather cooperates- and the layering advice is golden!

Cybercat, I think early September is one of the best times of the year in Halifax- hot during the day and cool for sleeping at night. The ocean has warmed up and swimming at all of our beautiful beaches is amazing. Hope you all have a great cruise, and the weather cooperates- and the layering advice is golden!

Thanks - I'm hoping for good weather - don't mind if it's a bit chilly at night. The Splendor has a retractable roof over the main lido pool, so that's good.

We got a balcony - I figure for sailing into and out of NYC if for no other reason. I'm hoping to see whales, too :)

I've been to Saint John and we took a boat to the Reversing Falls (not the jet boat, but the same company). I understand that the company is no longer in business. Any suggestions about where to view the Reversing Falls and how to get there? My husband's never been - I went the last time with my sister. I know he'll like the New Brunswick museum so we'll probably check that out. As best I can tell, high tide is at around noon 9/3 when we'll be there.

He wants to do the Carnival Tall Ship excursion in Halifax, but I was hoping to get to Peggy's Cove. Any suggestions there?

My DH and I will be cruising to New England and Canada on the Splendor on October 4th. I'd like to know what the weather is like during that time. What did you wear while at the ports? And what about when you were on the ship, is it warm enough for shorts, etc.?

Thank you for your help!

Karen

Did the New England/Canada cruise last 9/28/13. It was quite warm, we were at the pool everyday, just to catch some sun. Swam in the Adult only area and it was quite warm there too. Wore jeans and t-shirts everyday but did wish we had capris or shorts on 2 of those days, walking around we got hot. At night a sweatshirt or sweater was necessary, especially since we were watching football on the big screen outside.

That being said, New England as they say - if you don't like the weather wait a minute, it will change.

Just be prepared for any type of weather, as people have said, check about a week out but be ready for anything.

We had a private tour of Halifax that went to Peggy's Cove. Very picturesque. Whether it beats the tall ship tour depends on your interests.

I'm interested in Peggy's Cove but DH wants to do the Tall Ship - since he wasn't wild about going on a cruise to Canada in the first place, I will acquiesce :)

Will check out your pics though - maybe I can change his mind!

How about early Sept? We're doing Saint John and Halifax on the Sept 1-6 sailing.

Last time we went in June and it was mostly cold and rainy, although we had a glorious warm and sunny afternoon in Saint John (morning - not so warm and sunny :) )

I have warm clothes and cold clothes picked out. I'll pack when I see the forecast a week or so out.

We are doing 2 weeks on Celebrity's Summit leaving NJ 9/7. We are going to have to pack both warm and cold weather clothes. Surprisingly, we don't have polar fleeces, despite living in NY, and shopping at this point is not an option. Besides, they take up way too much luggage space imho. After reading this thread, I am going to throw in 2 pairs of shorts just in case, and at least 3 pairs of jeans. Then LOTS of tops to layer, including non fleece hoodies. I think a few scarves and maybe even a pair of gloves can help if the weather ends up being cold at night, especially for Quebec City, where we will be overnight.