1 day cruise from Seattle to Vancouver on Grand

MoyCoy

Yeah, people definitely turn the 1-day sailings into party cruises. On the one I went on, people showed up to the muster drill hammered (granted, the muster drill did happen 2 hours late.) When doing a cruise after a 1-day, the captain came to the CC meet-and-greet, and told some stories about the 1-day, stuff like people who were found still asleep in their cabins after the time everyone was supposed to have disembarked, people ending up in the brig, things like that.

We have the opposite direction planned for 2016, Honolulu to Vancouver on the Solstice, then a night in Vancouver, then the Ruby from Vancouver to Seattle.

Last September we sailed Golden Seattle to Vancouver and then hopped on Island for 2 nights, Vancouver to San Francisco. I called it our onesie/twosie cruises:) It was a fun way to explore a couple ships we hadn't sailed on before.

Thank You! Is there a station near the cruise port where one can purchase a day pass?

Darn, now you're asking me to remember a couple years back :confused: pretty sure we walked up the ramp from the ship, crossed the street right there at the top of the ramp and then walked about 1/4 block up the hill and the entrance to the station was right there (underground). They had machines to buy the passes. We figured it was actually slightly cheaper to buy individual tickets but it's so nice having a pass and just get on busses/skytrains/the ferry across the bay without worrying about the fare.

I spent a lot of time online figuring out everywhere I wanted to go before we got there so once we were on the ground the rest was easy.

I've also done the 1 day Vancouver/Seattle run in both directions and like other posters generally leaving from Vancouver (especially with 4 ships in town) can really be awful. We prefer the Northbound Seattle to Vancouver over the Southbound, as it seems like there are way more party goers heading south. We have done this cruise now twice a year, once in each direction.

I believe the Grand is the Sunday sailing so it should be a little less crazy than the Golden which leaves on Saturday. On each of these trips dinner has always been the "Prime Rib" and during 1 month we had 3 cruises booked with Princess so we skipped it and both Sabatini's and Crown Grill were open and quite full. There were a ton of party goers and a large portion of those were very intoxicated individuals, many of whom missed the muster. Our most recent experience was rather awful, as there was a number of first time cruisers who umm "lacked etiquette" pushing/shoving/cutting in lines bumping people etc.. Especially once you added the extended boarding/debarking process.

Once we complete our Elite status runs, we won't do this again, no matter how cheap it is(We've booked as low as $29pp before).

I've also done the 1 day Vancouver/Seattle run in both directions and like other posters generally leaving from Vancouver (especially with 4 ships in town) can really be awful. We prefer the Northbound Seattle to Vancouver over the Southbound, as it seems like there are way more party goers heading south. We have done this cruise now twice a year, once in each direction.

I believe the Grand is the Sunday sailing so it should be a little less crazy than the Golden which leaves on Saturday. On each of these trips dinner has always been the "Prime Rib" and during 1 month we had 3 cruises booked with Princess so we skipped it and both Sabatini's and Crown Grill were open and quite full. There were a ton of party goers and a large portion of those were very intoxicated individuals, many of whom missed the muster. Our most recent experience was rather awful, as there was a number of first time cruisers who umm "lacked etiquette" pushing/shoving/cutting in lines bumping people etc.. Especially once you added the extended boarding/debarking process.

Once we complete our Elite status runs, we won't do this again, no matter how cheap it is(We've booked as low as $29pp before).

Thank you! It is now $44 for a inside guarantee. Did you buy your ticket 6 weeks before or 4 weeks before? Did the price drop that low because of the proximity to sail away?

Hey we are doing both 1 day cruises in September and have done 1 already in May and thought it was nice but nothing that great. I agree the food is not as good as longer cruises but its always fun to get together and have a drink or two.

It does see that more people go to the clubs and disco on a 1 day cruise.

sea ya

Eric

TBA November 2014

Golden Princess & Grand Princess Sep2014

Cunard Queen Elisabeth Jun2014

Golden Princess May2014

Royal Princess Jan 2014

Caribbean Princess Feb 2013

Carnival Liberty Nov2012

Hal Westerdam March2012

Ruby Princess Nov2010

Sapphire Princess Sep2010

Rccl Adventure Of The Seas April 2010

Carnival Miracle Feb2010

Rccl Oassis of the Seas Feb2010

Rccl Majesty of the Seas Nov2009

Rccl Navigator of Seas Sep2009

Hal Westerdam Nov&Dec2008

Caribbean Princess Nov2007

Sea Princess Nov&Dec 2006

Diamond Princess Apr2005

Rccl Navigator Dec2004

NCL SUN Nov2004

Visit of QM2 Oct2004

Carnival Victory Nov2003

Golden Princess Apr2003

Celebrity Mercury Nov2002

Carnival Elation Nov2001

NCL SKY Nov2000

Thank you! It is now $44 for a inside guarantee. Did you buy your ticket 6 weeks before or 4 weeks before? Did the price drop that low because of the proximity to sail away?

I booked at final payment for $53 cdn, as we have other plans scheduled around the 1 day cruise. the $29. pp cruise was booked about 10 months out. My wife checks the princess website every now and again and stumbled upon it. But we have seen the $29 as a "last minute" booking in years past. Don't forget if you are a shareholder you get $50 shipboard credit on the 1 day, so it covers gratuities and you can buy yourself a little gift or two.

So I called My TA to book the 1 day cruise , who in turn called Celebrity to make sure this mini cruise was not a violation of the Jones Act. Celebrity said it was! My TA said they were wrong. So confused

Celebrity told my TA that I could be fined by Customs in Vancouver. Celebrity said it was a different cruise line so it would not necessarily be easy to detect, but if they found out, I would be fined indeed. A supervisor at my TA stated that because it was different cruise lines, we are indeed not in violation. Supposedly , it does not matter that we are staying over night in Vancouver before boarding the Solstice. I still need to call Princess to see what they think.

Who do I believe?

Edited by MoyCoy

So I called My TA to book the 1 day cruise , who in turn called Celebrity to make sure this mini cruise was not a violation of the Jones Act. Celebrity said it was! My TA said they were wrong. So confused

Celebrity told my TA that I could be fined by Customs in Vancouver. Celebrity said it was a different cruise line so it would not necessarily be easy to detect, but if they found out, I would be fined indeed. A supervisor at my TA stated that because it was different cruise lines, we are indeed not in violation. Supposedly , it does not matter that we are staying over night in Vancouver before boarding the Solstice. I still need to call Princess to see what they think.

Who do I believe?

That's absurd. Even if you were arriving and departing Vancouver the same day, you wouldn't be in violation of the Passenger Vessel Services Act, as you are changing ships. Switching ships or staying overnight will not result in a violation of the PVSA.

Also, the Jones Act is the enforcement of cargo ships. PVSA is for passengers.

Edit: Just call Princess and book the cruise through them or online. There's no need to even mention your Hawaii cruise on Celebrity. Princess told me that my one night/two night was a violation, even though we were changing ships and overnighting in Vancouver. It required a supervisor to verify there weren't any flags on the voyage number because the first representative displayed limited product knowledge and arrogance towards "the system" when attempting to make the booking.

Edited by Disconnections

That's absurd. Even if you were arriving and departing Vancouver the same day, you wouldn't be in violation of the Passenger Vessel Services Act, as you are changing ships. Switching ships or staying overnight will not result in a violation of the PVSA.

Also, the Jones Act is the enforcement of cargo ships. PVSA is for passengers.

Edit: Just call Princess and book the cruise through them or online. There's no need to even mention your Hawaii cruise on Celebrity. Princess told me that my one night/two night was a violation, even though we were changing ships and overnighting in Vancouver. It required a supervisor to verify there weren't any flags on the voyage number because the first representative displayed limited product knowledge and arrogance towards "the system" when attempting to make the booking.

Thanks for the information! Very Helpful.

Edited by MoyCoy

Who do I believe?

Your TA. Stop worrying about it and stop calling any cruise line about it.

It is the same with plane travel.

There is no non-stop Air Canada plane from Seattle to Chicago because that would be a foreign carrier transporting people directly from one USA city to another. However, you can fly Air Canada from Seattle to Toronto and then change planes (Air Canada or a different airline) and fly to Chicago.

[quote name='MoyCoy']So I called My TA to book the 1 day cruise , who in turn called Celebrity to make sure this mini cruise was not a violation of the Jones Act. Celebrity said it was! My TA said they were wrong. So confused

Who do I believe?[/quote]

Stop calling the cruiselines, they apparently have no clue. Not sure why your TA would call in the first place especially when you're staying over night, there is no question.

Last September I sailed Seattle to Vancouver then the day is disembarked the first ship I boarded a different ship and sailed Vancouver to San Francisco. That was not a violation.

Your plan is not a violation of PVSA, Jones Act does not apply.