Free Hot Chocolate on Alaskan cruises?

1153rsmith

I can't remember if there were little packets of it in the Horizon Court (free). I think there were but I can't say for sure because I didn't take any. The only day I saw free hot chocolate being served was on Glacier Bay day in big pots and I tried one and it was watered down and gross. It was for sale in the IC but I didn't go in and buy one. Though I did buy a hot chocolate one day in port.....

They haven't had the packets of instant hot chocolate at the Horizon Court in years and years. Only teas and sweeteners, and the liquid beverages pretending to be coffee and iced tea. The water is genuine water.

Jackie

They haven't had the packets of instant hot chocolate at the Horizon Court in years and years. Only teas and sweeteners, and the liquid beverages pretending to be coffee and iced tea. The water is genuine water.

Jackie

So is the coffee not good without a coffee card as well? What about room service coffee, is it any better? MDR coffee?

Edited by 1153rsmith

So is the coffee not good without a coffee card as well? What about room service coffee, is it any better? MDR coffee?

That is a matter of taste and can vary greatly by person, so only you can judge for yourself.

The coffee in the dining rooms, the buffet and from room service is made from a syrup and is not fresh brewed. Being made from a syrup is not bad in itself; many restaurants on shore do the same. However, the syrup comes in various grades of quality and speculation is that Princess does not purchase the highest quality syrup.

The coffee card gets you coffee at the IC bar (or other bar on ships without an IC) that is fresh brewed, not made from syrup.

Some people like the Princess coffee from syrup, but many do not. Many like the Princess fresh brewed, but some do not.

Some people say that the coffee tastes different from the buffet vs. the dining room vs. room service. Others say there is no difference.

Some people do not care which caffeine delivery system is used.

That is a matter of taste and can vary greatly by person, so only you can judge for yourself.

The coffee in the dining rooms, the buffet and from room service is made from a syrup and is not fresh brewed. Being made from a syrup is not bad in itself; many restaurants on shore do the same. However, the syrup comes in various grades of quality and speculation is that Princess does not purchase the highest quality syrup.

The coffee card gets you coffee at the IC bar (or other bar on ships without an IC) that is fresh brewed, not made from syrup.

Some people like the Princess coffee from syrup, but many do not. Many like the Princess fresh brewed, but some do not.

Some people say that the coffee tastes different from the buffet vs. the dining room vs. room service. Others say there is no difference.

Some people do not care which caffeine delivery system is used.

It may be that the other cruise lines I have been on have served coffee from syrup and I just didn't know it. I have always liked the coffee that I have had thus far, but then again, I'm not one of these folks who has to have Starbucks or I can't make it. As long as you can't see through the coffee, I'm usually pretty ok with it.

I will just be glad to be away from work and on the ship. :D

It's considered "free" because you have the card and they don't punch one of your allotted coffees for the hot chocolate. You only have a set number of specialty coffee punches, say 16. You can get a mocha, latte or whatever, and the server punches your card for each one. They don't punch it for hot chocolate. You could get as many cups a day as you want of hot chocolate.

If you don't have a coffee card, hot chocolate is $1.50 or $1.75 per cup.

It's a great marketing scheme to make you think you are getting something for nothing. When in realty you are purchasing one product to get a different product that you may not want to being with. Since the OP was asking about hot chocolate I don't see how purchasing a coffee card is relevant.

Edited by Iamcruzin

I can't remember if there were little packets of it in the Horizon Court (free). I think there were but I can't say for sure because I didn't take any. The only day I saw free hot chocolate being served was on Glacier Bay day in big pots and I tried one and it was watered down and gross. It was for sale in the IC but I didn't go in and buy one. Though I did buy a hot chocolate one day in port.....

Of course it's a matter of opinion, but I feel the same way. The free hot chocolate in the urn out on deck is horrible in my opinion. I have brought a few packages of instant mix along when travelling with people that want to drink it.