Prescriptions

island visitor

Totally agree re the prescribed drugs. Why take a chance that you will be selected for scrutiny?

The only reason I bag the Vitamins, Calcium, Omega3 etc. is because I buy them in Costco size containers. :eek: It's a matter of space, ie: another pair of shoes. :D

Exactly what we do. Luckily we only have three prescribed meds at this point but why take a chance, especially on our long distance travel outside of the US. I will say though that not once has a security/immigration/customs agent from here to Turkey and several countries in between ever said a thing or raised an eyebrow about our meds. Of course it only takes that one time so we'll keep using original script containers for our travel.

We have to carry Bi-Pap machine with at least 3 batterys when we travel. TSA always inspects the Bi-Pap and each battery. They also inspect our carry on bag with all our prescription drugs at the same time. We take about 25 different prescription drugs between the two of us and we always have the prescription drugs in the origional prescription bottles. We also take a generic vitamin, generic calcium and generic baby asprin. We have had a few comments about the # of meds we take but so far no problems with any being confiscated for any reason. After boarding the ship we fill the 7 day containers. Better safe than sorry.

If you deal with a chain drugstore, could you not get your prescriptions where you will be in your condo? That way you only have to carry drugs for the early part of the trip. Just wondering. this is obviously not an option for Canadians.

Great idea.

If someone uses Walgreen's, CVS or Rite Aid, they can have their meds filled at any location across the country. Several years ago, timing was such for when I needed refills, my insurance company was going to require me to do exactly that as I asked for early 'vacation' refills. If I was going to be in U.S. they would not have approved early refills but when I said we were cruising in the Caribbean, they approved it.

Totally agree re the prescribed drugs. Why take a chance that you will be selected for scrutiny?

The only reason I bag the Vitamins, Calcium, Omega3 etc. is because I buy them in Costco size containers. :eek: It's a matter of space, ie: another pair of shoes. :D

I do not take the original bottles for vitamins or supplements. The few I take are not that costly and are easily obtained during a pre-cruise stay. Should someone at the airport confiscate my tiny baggies containing those, I can easily replenish before I board the ship. I am much more cautious about my Rx's.

• 4 weeks later...
When I need to fly to the port to catch the ship I save an old prescription bottle and put all of the required pills in that bottle. That way I hope that I am covered if TSA checks and the bottle becomes disposal post cruise to free up some space on the return trip.

TSA in the States does not require that you carry your meds in the original containers..

Here is a link for a Canadian Gov't website that offers advice and guidance to travelers. http://travel.gc.ca/travelling/health-safety/medication

Please note the following:

• The limit of two carry-on bags does not apply to medical supplies, equipment and mobility aids.
  • Pack all medications in your carry-on baggage in their original, labelled containers to facilitate airport security and customs screening. Prescription medication is exempted from the liquid restrictions but must be presented to the screening officer separately from your carry-on baggage.

That's interesting! I've wondered what the Canadian rules were...

We fill our prescriptions from CVS for 90 days...When we're flying in the USA only we put our Meds in the weekly plastic boxes & carry a copy of our prescriptions..TSA in the U. S. does not require meds to be in the original containers per the TSA blog..

Quote TSA does not require passengers to have medications in prescription bottles, but states have individual laws regarding the labeling of prescription medication with which passengers need to comply. Unquote

http://blog.tsa.gov/2013/09/tsa-travel-tips-tuesday-traveling-with.html

However, to avoid problems in Customs & in other countries, when leaving the country we put our meds in smaller drugstore containers with the extra label which CVS automatically puts with all our filled prescriptions.. We're sure to carry extra meds for emergencies..

Edited by serendipity1499