Prescriptions

island visitor

We take all our pills in their prescription bottles or original otc bottles no matter how we are traveling, even by car on a lengthy trip. The last thing we want is to have unidentified pills on us if we are stopped by any kind of law enforcement officers. They are not pharmacists, but the labels on prescrip bottles describe the color and shape of the medications. Never have had any meds looked at or questioned on any kind of travel, but rather be safe than sorry. ;)

I actually carry my aspirin/Tylenol in a little tin case that you used to be able to buy filled with Bayer aspirin. (Do you remember those? Do they still sell them?) Anyway, the little tin was originally for cat treats and that's what it says on the outside of the tin. Makes me laugh!

I remember those cute little tin boxes! I have a couple of plastic ones from some other samples. I am thinking for travel it is probably better not to buy generic, but Bayer.

I sort my medications into small plastic bags; one bunch of bags for the morning go into a single larger bag and one bunch of bags for bed time go into a single larger bag. This way, all I have to do is grab either a morning bag or an evening bag and I have all the medicines I have to take at that particular time.

Having my medications in baggies saves a lot of space over original containers and pill boxes. I do carry a list of everything I take, but that is all. I have never been questioned and have never had any trouble.

I have never heard of anyone having trouble regarding their meds when boarding a ship but at an airport it can be a different story.

I also would want my meds (particularly controlled substances) carried in pharmacy bottles when returning to U.S. and clearing CBP. Why ask for trouble when it is easily avoided?

For 7 day trips i simply use the 7-day container, along with copies of my prescriptions. For longer trips I usually get smaller pill vials from the pharmacy and a copy of what they call dummy labels - not good for renewal but tells what the meds are. I do this just to be on the safe side, but after traveling to over 120 countries (land, air and sea trips) I have NEVER had anyone ask about or even look at my meds, which are in my carry-on. However, there can always be a first time, I know. So, I play the game.

In reality, having the pills in the original bottles is meaningless as you could put almost anything in the bottles that have no relevance to the labels. With a few exceptions one cannot tell what a pill is by just looking at it unless the person also had a PDR to look up their pictures. Even then it is iffy as drug manufacturers can change pill appearance more easily than the PDR is updated.

For example, I take an adult aspirin. Well, depending on where I get them they may be yellow or several shades of orange. I also take a prescription drug and every so often a note comes with my renewal telling me that they have changed suppliers and that the new pills do not look like my previous prescription. There is no way the inspectors could tell if the pills in the container were really what the label says or something else.

We take all our pills in their prescription bottles or original otc bottles no matter how we are traveling, even by car on a lengthy trip. The last thing we want is to have unidentified pills on us if we are stopped by any kind of law enforcement officers. They are not pharmacists, but the labels on prescrip bottles describe the color and shape of the medications. Never have had any meds looked at or questioned on any kind of travel, but rather be safe than sorry. ;)

The labels on our prescriptions also have a written description (color, size, shape) of the pills that are supposed to be inside the bottle.

Here is a link for a Canadian Gov't website that offers advice and guidance to travelers. http://travel.gc.ca/travelling/health-safety/medication

Please note the following:

• The limit of two carry-on bags does not apply to medical supplies, equipment and mobility aids.
  • Pack all medications in your carry-on baggage in their original, labelled containers to facilitate airport security and customs screening. Prescription medication is exempted from the liquid restrictions but must be presented to the screening officer separately from your carry-on baggage.

Also please remember that you should store all your medication is a locked and secured location while on the ship. You should never keep all your medication in your cabin's washroom. Many travelers have prescription grade narcotics and mood altering drugs that are in high demand on the street. You should no more leave your prescription medication out in the open than you do an expensive or sentimental item of jewellery. Remember, if you cannot afford to lose it (and most people take medication because they have to), secure it.

Edited by cbr663

The bottles we get from Caremark for our 90 day supplies do not contain color or shape information.

For our long 30+ day cruises we just put all our meds in a couple of the larger 90 day supply bottles then sort them weekly into the 7 day case. I do take photos of each of the original bottles with a pill along side and keep that on my phone incase an official asks. Also have a list of medications.

Have traveled with the 7-day pill container and a copy of the original prescription and not had an issue. We are now retired so can cruise for longer times so we always use the original and labeled containers and bring a 7-day container for the bathroom as well as a medication list with full drug names as many drugs have different brand names in different countries. Only question we ever encountered with security was for preloaded injectors as had several injectors and only 1 box with the attached script in a zip-lock bag in a cooler. Once the security people saw the box with its label, which was buried under the injectors, and peeked into the box to see identical injectors, they were okay.

Edited by take us away

Also please remember that you should store all your medication is a locked and secured location while on the ship. You should never keep all your medication in your cabin's washroom. Many travelers have prescription grade narcotics and mood altering drugs that are in high demand on the street. You should no more leave your prescription medication out in the open than you do an expensive or sentimental item of jewellery. Remember, if you cannot afford to lose it (and most people take medication because they have to), secure it.

This is good advice. Our meds go straight into the safe whether in a hotel or on a ship.

Our family doctor got us a small medical bag that fits nicely in all safes -- DH takes 17 different medications and I take 3.

I would never leave any medications -- not even non prescription ones laying around in the cabin anywhere.

I take a number of meds and to avoid bringing the actual bottles, I bring that actual pills in little 2 inch by 2 inch or so Ziploc-like bags I got at W*****t. However, I bring the paperwork I received from CVS when I last filled the script. It takes less space, provides the info the powers that be may want (all the info that would be on the label and more), and so far has worked. Hope it continues to.

I take a number of meds and to avoid bringing the actual bottles, I bring that actual pills in little 2 inch by 2 inch or so Ziploc-like bags I got at W*****t. However, I bring the paperwork I received from CVS when I last filled the script. It takes less space, provides the info the powers that be may want (all the info that would be on the label and more), and so far has worked. Hope it continues to.

I don't fly much anymore, so I haven't dealt with TSA lately. I carry 7-day containers (sometimes several of them) when we travel. I never thought about Customs inquiring about our meds on a cruise. I may have to rethink how I usually carry them. Our next trip is a 17 day cruise from FLL, 30 days in a condo in the Southwest, then 14 day cruise back to FLL. I guess I may need a whole suitcase just for meds. :eek:

I agree better to be safe than sorry. When my GD was a tot, my DD traveled a lot with her. Although all TSA sites will tell you that unopened Soy Milk is okay to bring onboard a plane for a small child, in reality sometimes it's not allowed. I can't tell you how many times my DD had a six-pack of boxed Soy (like the juicy boxes) taken away from her by TSA. She would even produce a doctor's letter telling of all GD's allergies, etc. and how Soy was important for her. Funny though, when her DH flew with her, no one even attempted to confiscate the Soy. Apparently Mother and Child are more dangerous than a Family. :(

Edited by Linda&Vern

I don't fly much anymore, so I haven't dealt with TSA lately. I carry 7-day containers (sometimes several of them) when we travel. I never thought about Customs inquiring about our meds on a cruise. I may have to rethink how I usually carry them. Our next trip is a 17 day cruise from FLL, 30 days in a condo in the Southwest, then 14 day cruise back to FLL. I guess I may need a whole suitcase just for meds. :eek:

I agree better to be safe than sorry. When my GD was a tot, my DD traveled a lot with her. Although all TSA sites will tell you that unopened Soy Milk is okay to bring onboard a plane for a small child, in reality sometimes it's not allowed. I can't tell you how many times my DD had a six-pack of boxed Soy (like the juicy boxes) taken away from her by TSA. She would even produce a doctor's letter telling of all GD's allergies, etc. and how Soy was important for her. Funny though, when her DH flew with her, no one even attempted to confiscate the Soy. Apparently Mother and Child are more dangerous than a Family. :(

I would be really interested to know whether those who write that that they carry their meds in little plastic baggies are just doing closed loop cruises. We are travelling through Europe for 10 weeks with 11 different Meds between the two of us, most of it in foil blister packages in boxes. I cannot imagine that we would be permitted to carry this medication in little plastic baggies.

I think that it's important to note that what is permitted is very different from what is enforced. Just because someone travels with medication in little plastic bags does not mean that it is permitted; it just means that it hasn't been enforced.

Also keep in mind that your prescription meds are for consumption in your current country only. Even having a prescription does not mean it is okay for you to travel across borders with those medications. Certain medications may be inadmissible in some countries, with or without a prescription. Avandia (rosiglitazone), a common diabetes drug, is banned in certain countries, as are many of the common barbiturates that are used to treat sleeping disorders and anxiety illnesses. You should always check to make sure.

Thanks for all your responses. I have always felt that it is better to be safe than sorry so think I will ditch the 7 day bill dispenser and go with the original bottles even though they do take up extra space. We personally have not had any trouble with this issue in the past but I have always kinda worried about it. Sounds like most don't have problems but if our bags would get checked it could be an issue.

my husband was questioned at airport security about his meds. One in particular caught their eye and they did a chemical test on the spot for illegal drugs. It passed of course, but they can check even if it is in the original pharmacy bottle.

Edited by marysb

Our next trip is a 17 day cruise from FLL, 30 days in a condo in the Southwest, then 14 day cruise back to FLL. I guess I may need a whole suitcase just for meds. :eek:

:(

If you deal with a chain drugstore, could you not get your prescriptions where you will be in your condo? That way you only have to carry drugs for the early part of the trip. Just wondering. this is obviously not an option for Canadians.

I would be really interested to know whether those who write that that they carry their meds in little plastic baggies are just doing closed loop cruises. We are travelling through Europe for 10 weeks with 11 different Meds between the two of us, most of it in foil blister packages in boxes. I cannot imagine that we would be permitted to carry this medication in little plastic baggies.

My DH travels with 18 different drugs. We are rule-followers, and everything is in the original container from the pharmacist, and he sorts into a 7-day dispenser when we get to our destination. Better safe than sorry. I really do not see the point in putting medications unmarked into plastic baggies.

We do 3-week cruises, all of his med containers fit in a medical bag which can be carried onto a plane free of surcharge.

Edited by Lizzie68

My DH travels with 18 different drugs. We are rule-followers, and everything is in the original container from the pharmacist, and he sorts into a 7-day dispenser when we get to our destination. Better safe than sorry. I really do not see the point in putting medications unmarked into plastic baggies.

We do 3-week cruises, all of his med containers fit in a medical bag which can be carried onto a plane free of surcharge.

Totally agree re the prescribed drugs. Why take a chance that you will be selected for scrutiny?

The only reason I bag the Vitamins, Calcium, Omega3 etc. is because I buy them in Costco size containers. :eek: It's a matter of space, ie: another pair of shoes. :D

My DH and I flew from Victoria to Edmonton, Alberta this past June -- very short domestic flight -- 1 1/2 hours. Our flight left at 9:am, on a Thursday. It was obviously "my turn" for a little extra security check -- I was "quite padded down" by a very nice security lady, about my age -- no problem

Then I was asked to "step off to the side" to talk to her -- she sat down at a small table and asked me and documented the names of my prescription medications -- now, my med was in my carry on bag, which had just been screened, but she did not ask to see them, just wanted me to tell her myself what I took -- I don't ask questions, I just do as I am told!!! :eek:

I have a friend who works security at the airport, and mentioned this to him when I got back -- he just looked at me, and smiled and said, "I can't tell you all our secrets/ reasons" -- We left it at that!!

BTW -- I always carry my prescription med in the original bottles from the pharmacy -- never want to create any unwanted stress, etc, when flying -- am a "play by the rules" girl myself :)

My DH and I flew from Victoria to Edmonton, Alberta this past June -- very short domestic flight -- 1 1/2 hours. Our flight left at 9:am, on a Thursday. It was obviously "my turn" for a little extra security check -- I was "quite padded down" by a very nice security lady, about my age -- no problem

Then I was asked to "step off to the side" to talk to her -- she sat down at a small table and asked me and documented the names of my prescription medications -- now, my med was in my carry on bag, which had just been screened, but she did not ask to see them, just wanted me to tell her myself what I took -- I don't ask questions, I just do as I am told!!! :eek:

I have a friend who works security at the airport, and mentioned this to him when I got back -- he just looked at me, and smiled and said, "I can't tell you all our secrets/ reasons" -- We left it at that!!

BTW -- I always carry my prescription med in the original bottles from the pharmacy -- never want to create any unwanted stress, etc, when flying -- am a "play by the rules" girl myself :)

Interesting...I will ask my pharmacist if I can label the bags..if not will just carry in original bottles...but am trying to lighten my load. I once was taken aside and asked for my pocketbook...who knows what she was looking for...it's a natural reaction when you see someone rifling through your stuff to perhaps step forward..I was told in no uncertain terms to step away from the table...it was not a pleasant experience...hey it's my bag and there is nothing in it:mad: That was my reaction..but she meant business...so I stepped away from the table and my pocketbook!!