Vancouver Transportation

2 people, only carry-ons and 1am at night. Anyone have a guess what a taxi would cost??

Thanks!

This is linked 2 posts above, but here it is again for your convenience - find your hotel on the map and see which fare zone it sits inside. There is no extra charge per person or for luggage: taxi rates are set by local laws and are exactly the same for as many people and as much luggage as will safely fit, at any time of day or night.

• 2 months later...
There's plenty of space at floor level (basically the seats have ridiculous legroom, so unless you are enormously tall with a really huge suitcase you just put your bags in front of you). Platforms all have minimal gaps so you can just wheel cases straight on & off. If you can self-disembark a ship with all your bags you'll be fine using the Canada Line.

Hello, anyone know how far the Canada Line Waterfront Station is from the Greenbrier hotel on Robson?

Thanks

Hello, anyone know how far the Canada Line Waterfront Station is from the Greenbrier hotel on Robson?

Thanks

The Greenbriar is just under 1 1/2km or just under 1 mile from Waterfront station. A cab would be around 5 dollars. You could walk it easily enough, even with luggage, if you were inclined. Transit would get you within 1/2 km or 1/3 mile or so and you'd have to walk the rest of the way.

Actually Vancouver Center-Granville station is the closest Canada Line stop for the Greenbrier.

You could then transfer to the #5 Robson bus - no additional fare and it will drop you almost at the hotel's front door.

Cheers!

Dennis

Actually Vancouver Center-Granville station is the closest Canada Line stop for the Greenbrier.

You could then transfer to the #5 Robson bus - no additional fare and it will drop you almost at the hotel's front door.

Cheers!

Dennis

Don't have the exact dates.... but 800 Burrard is closed to cars and buses each summer for a public art installation...

The #5 is rerouted along Burrard and onwards to Hastings I think.

UPDATE: Last years closure started on July 1st. Not sure about this year.

http://www.insidevancouver.ca/2014/04/30/urban-reef-coming-to-robson-street-in-vancouver/

Edited by xlxo

Thank you, I'm thinking taxi:) Money saved comparing Pan Pacific to Greenbrier would buy a lot:D

You could probably hire a limo for your whole stay for the difference in daily rates!!!!

Seriously though, if you are looking to optimise convenience vs expense for YVR to a West End hotel, then I find the best compromise is to Skytrain downtown but get off at Yaletown station. There's a taxi rank right outside and Davie is a much quieter street than Georgia/Robson so it'll probably cost less in the cab due to fewer stops at lights (ballpark $10). If you plan to use transit during your stay, you can avoid the airport surcharge very easily - buy a 10pack of FareSaver tickets at the 7-Eleven in the airport.

Just tear out one ticket per person whenever you're using transit and insert into the blue box beside the ticket machine - it'll print a time/date stamp which gives you 90 minutes of free transfers across all transit modes. If you're arriving after 6:30pm any day, or all day weekends/holidays, you can even buy the Zone 1 version for a whopping $21 a pack - so even with a cab fare from Yaletown that's cheaper than a cab all the way to the hotel, and you get to make 4 more trips (if you're a couple) any time during your stay.

Of course if you're going to blow your savings on cabs and not take transit, tose extra tickets are a waste - so I'd concur with xlxo that it's easiest to just take a cab. Fixed pricing inbound means you also know exactly what it will cost - $31 plus tip to the Greenbrier (it's in the Downtown/Kits Blue Zone, not the Canada Place Green Zone).

• 2 months later...
You could probably hire a limo for your whole stay for the difference in daily rates!!!!

Seriously though, if you are looking to optimise convenience vs expense for YVR to a West End hotel, then I find the best compromise is to Skytrain downtown but get off at Yaletown station. There's a taxi rank right outside and Davie is a much quieter street than Georgia/Robson so it'll probably cost less in the cab due to fewer stops at lights (ballpark $10). If you plan to use transit during your stay, you can avoid the airport surcharge very easily - buy a 10pack of FareSaver tickets at the 7-Eleven in the airport.

Just tear out one ticket per person whenever you're using transit and insert into the blue box beside the ticket machine - it'll print a time/date stamp which gives you 90 minutes of free transfers across all transit modes. If you're arriving after 6:30pm any day, or all day weekends/holidays, you can even buy the Zone 1 version for a whopping $21 a pack - so even with a cab fare from Yaletown that's cheaper than a cab all the way to the hotel, and you get to make 4 more trips (if you're a couple) any time during your stay.

Of course if you're going to blow your savings on cabs and not take transit, tose extra tickets are a waste - so I'd concur with xlxo that it's easiest to just take a cab. Fixed pricing inbound means you also know exactly what it will cost - $31 plus tip to the Greenbrier (it's in the Downtown/Kits Blue Zone, not the Canada Place Green Zone).

Thanks for the reply, so sorry I didn't check back sooner. Anyway called the Greenbrier and Canada Line to University center and then a bus to Georgia st. and I don't remember where after that was suggested. (hotel is on Robison) Are there taxies at the University Center? How close is that to Yaletown? Next week if all goes well, we will be traveling:)

Will have to check out the 7/11 in the airport

Thanks for the reply, so sorry I didn't check back sooner. Anyway called the Greenbrier and Canada Line to University center and then a bus to Georgia st. and I don't remember where after that was suggested. (hotel is on Robison) Are there taxies at the University Center? How close is that to Yaletown? Next week if all goes well, we will be traveling:)

Will have to check out the 7/11 in the airport

I'm hoping that you misremembered the name, or autocorrect went ape on you, because that should be CITY Centre; there is no University Centre station (one of the local beefs is whether or not to add a Skytrain line to serve the largest local University...)

While City Centre is closer to the Greenbrier it's a worse station to get cabs at - nowhere to sit and wait, so how long one takes to come is a bit random. This is the best place to get off if you decide to walk to the hotel, but getting off one stop earlier, at Yaletown-Roundhouse, there will be cabs lined up right outside and traffic is usually a lot lighter on Davie than on Georgia & Robson.

Unless you can sit with all your luggage on your lap, taking a bus is a horrible recommendation and anyone involved in tourism should absolutely not be suggesting it. There's no luggage storage - unless you get lucky and have an empty enough bus to slide your suitcases into a spare seat, you'll be blocking the aisles or filling a wheelchair spot, both of which are unlawful. Some drivers will simply refuse to let you on - I've seen it happen.

I'm hoping that you misremembered the name, or autocorrect went ape on you, because that should be CITY Centre; there is no University Centre station (one of the local beefs is whether or not to add a Skytrain line to serve the largest local University...)

While City Centre is closer to the Greenbrier it's a worse station to get cabs at - nowhere to sit and wait, so how long one takes to come is a bit random. This is the best place to get off if you decide to walk to the hotel, but getting off one stop earlier, at Yaletown-Roundhouse, there will be cabs lined up right outside and traffic is usually a lot lighter on Davie than on Georgia & Robson.

Unless you can sit with all your luggage on your lap, taking a bus is a horrible recommendation and anyone involved in tourism should absolutely not be suggesting it. There's no luggage storage - unless you get lucky and have an empty enough bus to slide your suitcases into a spare seat, you'll be blocking the aisles or filling a wheelchair spot, both of which are unlawful. Some drivers will simply refuse to let you on - I've seen it happen.

Thanks for the information. I may have misunderstood the lady I was talking go. She may have said "city center" and I heard university center. :)

• 8 months later...

So after a cruise disembark Canada Place to airport(Yvr).

4 people all with 1 checked bag sized suitcase and each with 1 rollerboard size suitcase.

Will we all fit in a cab or is their a van service like supershuttle or prime time like in the USA?

Do we need a reservation or will there be Plenty at the pier?

Thanks

Julie

Most cabs are Toyota Prius.... I think you need two cabs at $35 each.

There are a few taxi vans.... but they will be high demand mean extra waiting. If you insist on these vans.... reservations are a good idea, but it will be highly congested for a cruise terminal pickup.

• 3 weeks later...
So after a cruise disembark Canada Place to airport(Yvr).

4 people all with 1 checked bag sized suitcase and each with 1 rollerboard size suitcase.

Will we all fit in a cab or is their a van service like supershuttle or prime time like in the USA?

Do we need a reservation or will there be Plenty at the pier?

Thanks

Julie

Cabs tend to be smaller (Prius) but there are some mini-vans, but you might have to wait for one.

The other option is walk a couple of blocks to Waterfront Station and take the Skytrain (subway) Canada Line. ignore the badly marked entrance right near Canada place (it goes to the wrong lines), turn left on Cordova and walk 2 blocks. $4, straight to YVR, elevators and roll-on roll-off. If you're able bodied (or even lazy and old like me), this is a great alternative.

Since there are a bunch of Canadians here with intimate knowledge of Vancouver, I need to ask some questions. DW and I will be sailing out of Vancounver next June on the NCL Sun for a 14 night Alaska cruise (assuming out of Canada Place). What is the cost of parking our car at the terminal (we are driving 9,000 miles round trip from Florida seeing a lot of things along the way). Or are there any hotels (bot hostels) that will let us park our car there (after spending a night of course) for the 2 weeks that would be cheaper than parking at the terminal itself. Also, is there any offsite parking at Canada Place that would be cheaper than the terminal that one could walk to or take a quick, cheap taxi ride to? Thanks for any help y'all can provide.

This is the downtown hotel that we used for a "Cruise and Park" deal last spring for a 15 day Van/Hawaii round trip. Great deal !! http://www.coasthotels.com/hotels/bc/vancouver/coast-plaza-hotel-and-suites/package/cruise-package/

...VTX-Al

• 2 months later...

We will be arriving at YVR about 6pm on a Saturday in September. We'll be staying at the Blue Horizon for one night pre-cruise. Is there a taxi stand at the Vancouver City Centre station? I know we could probably walk to the hotel but with 4 of us lugging luggage and none of us spring chickens I think getting a taxi would be wise.

We will be arriving at YVR about 6pm on a Saturday in September. We'll be staying at the Blue Horizon for one night pre-cruise. Is there a taxi stand at the Vancouver City Centre station? I know we could probably walk to the hotel but with 4 of us lugging luggage and none of us spring chickens I think getting a taxi would be wise.

There is no taxi line at the station and flagging a cab in Vancouver is not an easy thing. However a minivan taxi on a flat rate basis from YVR to the Blue Hoizon is $31 as compared to a concession fare on the Canada Line of $7.75 pp. I would be very inclined to take the taxi.

Yaletown is the best station to get off at if you want to find a cab - there is a taxi rank right outside it on Davie Street, and enough bars/restos nearby that there are pretty much always at least a couple of cabs waiting.

But with 4 people it's a false economy - your Skytrain fare will run CAD$31 for 4, a negligible difference than a cab right to the hotel (fixed fare CAD$31, so just the tip is extra). Depending how many/large your suitcases are you might need to wait for a minivan at YVR - same price - but if you're traveling light the first cab in the line might do the job (mostly Prius, some newer models have higher rooflines so can pack more luggage in but the older models are definitely going to struggle with fitting 4 typical suitcases and carryons).

If you do elect to take a cab you will find them plentiful at YVR and I should have added that just under 20% of Vancouver's cab fleet is made up of mini-vans so any wait you may have for one will be just a matter of a few minutes.