QE2 - January 3, 2006 - Six Day Crossing

eroller

It really hurt to watch (via NY live webcams) the departures from NYC last week of both QE2 and QM2. I know that there are many of us who wished that we could have been aboard QE2, in particular, for her return journey home to Southampton.

It's really hard having to wait until January 3rd. My wife and I booked this crossing back in February. Compare that to last year when we booked the December crossing in late August. I think 3-4 months is about all that I can endure!

Tom

QE2 Winter Crossing Club

January 2006 Crossing

* Brian Boru (Chris)

* Stowaway2K (Kyle)

* Ken_W

* sfo-john

* transat_jon

* guernseyguy (Peter)

* eroller (Ernie)

* Cruisin Pup

* Richard Schmidt

* Mr. Murdoch

* Transatlantic Tom

* juliecat (Julia)

* Calliope

* Bluenoser

* Confetti

* transat

* sandiegoprincess

Hi there Chris

I was thinking of going over to New York at the end of October and then get the westbound on 01Nov05. It all depends on price. I have three weeks of vacation to use before the end of the year so it seems a shame to waste it.

I am still in two minds about it but the ocean calls....

Are you doing the 20Nov05 eastbound then?

Hi Everyone,

Just back from the Canadian crossings and booked the January crossing on board for myself and friend because when I asked about Caronia availability I was told that it had now gone to guarentee only so this meant that there were limited cabins available. I had one of the new C6 cabins for the Canadian trip although I'd paid for a C5. They insisted it was a C5 this year but couldn't explain what they were going to do on Jan 1st to downgrade it to C6 for next year.

seagreen:

Welcome. You're one of a recent handful of "new members of the club". There's getting to be quite a little group here !!

Lucky you, I dearly wanted to go on the Canadian crossing.

(Peter:

If this keeps up we may have to reconsider meeting in the Champagne Bar and shoot for the Queen's Room, or Wembley Stadium a day or two before sailing !!)

Tom

QE2 Winter Crossing Club

January 2006 Crossing

* Brian Boru (Chris)

* Stowaway2K (Kyle)

* Ken_W

* sfo-john

* transat_jon

* guernseyguy (Peter)

* eroller (Ernie)

* Cruisin Pup

* Richard Schmidt

* Mr. Murdoch

* Transatlantic Tom

* juliecat (Julia)

* Calliope

* Bluenoser

* Confetti

* transat

* sandiegoprincess (Sandi)

* seagreen

Jon, I am already with all of you in spirit. If I can snag a really good deal, I might just be aboard. Usually I am solo, but would really love to share a Caronia this time. Only problem is I would need a roommate. Anyone interested??

Sandi (SanDiegoPrincess) I am sailing out of San Diego next month on Radiance thru the Panama Canal. Will have 3 days in town prior to cruise; what are the "must do's"? Thanks.

WOW, we're down to less than 100 days now, and for me five of those days will be spent steaming up the beautiful Ohio River onboard the legendary DELTA QUEEN. She's the only other place where I'd rather be than on the QE2! Next January ask me to wax poetic about the Grande Dame of the American Merchant Fleet, and I will!

Yesterday Confetti viewed the 1979 National Geographic special "Oceanliners:Twilight of an Era", and is really hooked now. I spoke with her on the phone after she viewed the video, and there she was tossing out the great names of NORMANDIE, QUEEN MARY, QUEEN ELIZABETH, and UNITED STATES like an old pro.

Hi,

I am hoping to get the time off to do this crossing. When

I sailed the QE2 before, we had dry calm weather the whole

week except one over night when there was a spot of rain

and a bit of motion. I love spending time on deck and walking the promenade. How slippery do the decks get in rough seas?

Thinking of packing a light nylon rainsuit to wear over my layers of wool and polar fleece and a pair of stretch overshoes

that will give me traction. Or will I look riduculous dressed

like a fisherman on deck? As the Barbour advert line goes

there's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing.

See you all. I hope.

Hi,

I am hoping to get the time off to do this crossing. When

I sailed the QE2 before, we had dry calm weather the whole

week except one over night when there was a spot of rain

and a bit of motion. I love spending time on deck and walking the promenade. How slippery do the decks get in rough seas?

Thinking of packing a light nylon rainsuit to wear over my layers of wool and polar fleece and a pair of stretch overshoes

that will give me traction. Or will I look riduculous dressed

like a fisherman on deck? As the Barbour advert line goes

there's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing.

See you all. I hope.

Welcome, we look forward to having another member in our little club.

During the crossing you'll probably not get rain but there will be lots of sea spray flying about. It is special stuff that ruins clothes and makes anything metal tarnish or rust.

The nylon rainsuit is a good idea to protect clothes. Don't worry: there will be others wearing the same. You will feel out of place wearing this inside of course, but then you can change easly enough. Anything like a pair of trainers will give decent grip on the deck.

It will probably not be that cold (depends where you are from) but there will be a lot of windchill off the ocean, hands and face will notice this most.

Been lurking on this thread since the beginning and just wanted to let all of you know that my dad and I are considering this as well. (I dearly hope we can go, I know I can but he is not sure yet.)

Hope to be able to join all of you and finally meet some members I've "known" for a long time but never actually met.

Incidentally, it would be interesting to have a show of hands (well, show of mice, or whatever one calls it on the web) as to who is in which dining room. We would probably wind up in Caronia and it seems to me that that is where most of you will be - is that true or just a false impression I get from reading these posts.

Confetti and I will be in the Caronia Restaurant. We're in a guaranteed C-5 now.

Today, I just couldn't say no to the deal offered to continue on to Ft. Lauderdale when I inquired about the two night addition from Southampton. Actually too good to be true, but that's all I'll say. If anyone is interested you'll have to check for yourself!

I'd love to be able to sail out of New York..

God forbid, but it could be her last arrival and departure from Manhattan. Hopefully, Manhattan's Passenger Vessel Terminals will be updated and the Cunarders returned to berthing on the Hudson.

God forbid, but it could be her last arrival and departure from Manhattan.

I think it is pretty certain that it will be. As awful as this sounds, if Cunard ever do return to Manhattan, she'll almost certainly be gone by then.

QM2 is a different story to some extent; with a good 40 years or so ahead of her, who knows what could happen. But I do not see either ship returning to Manhattan in the forseeable future.

Hopefully, Manhattan's Passenger Vessel Terminals will be updated and the Cunarders returned to berthing on the Hudson.

Maybe in the distant future, but in the near term I don't see this happening.

Incidentally, it's not the Hudson, it's the North River. (Sorry, this is one of my bugaboos. And yes, I know it's an estuary, not a river, but I didn't name it ;) .)

Confetti and I will be in the Caronia Restaurant. We're in a guaranteed C-5 now.

Today, I just couldn't say no to the deal offered to continue on to Ft. Lauderdale when I inquired about the two night addition from Southampton. Actually too good to be true, but that's all I'll say. If anyone is interested you'll have to check for yourself!

Please share detail of extra 2 nights. Nothing on US or UK website.

Still looking for a cabinmate for this crossing. Anyone???

Archived