Any tips re choosing a Royal cabin?

Kinkacruiser

We usually choose aft Caribe balcony in the low 700's to be near an elevator and directly below the buffet. I've read some disappointments re soot and congested elevators in this location. Is there a better choice, given we wish this BD price range?

Also, the cruise we are looking at is the April 2016 20-day Caribbean on the Royal.

Avoid Marina deck. Too much noise from above. The Emerald deck obstructed view balcony cabins from the aft elevators back aren't obstructed and are very good value. Easy to go down to Promenade or up from Promenade via the stairs. These are BE and cheaper than BD. :)

Edited by Pam in CA

Avoid Marina deck. Too much noise from above. The Emerald deck obstructed view balcony cabins from the aft elevators back aren't obstructed and are very good value. Easy to go down to Promenade or up from Promenade via the stairs. These are BE and cheaper than BD. :)

As with the Riviera deck on the Grand Class ships the Marina deck is not all bad. There are sections that should be OK.

As with the Riviera deck on the Grand Class ships the Marina deck is not all bad. There are sections that should be OK.
True but the OP wanted towards the aft and it's horrible there on Marina deck. Far forward under Lido cabins are OK.

We usually choose aft Caribe balcony in the low 700's to be near an elevator and directly below the buffet. I've read some disappointments re soot and congested elevators in this location. Is there a better choice, given we wish this BD price range?

Also, the cruise we are looking at is the April 2016 20-day Caribbean on the Royal.

I would stick to this choice. You should not have a soot problem in the low 700's and you definitely want to avoid the midship elevators as they are a nightmare. Bear in mind though, these are not the Caribe balconies that you have come to know and love. They are very small.

The soot problem is with the balconies that are aft facing. No soot problems reported for side facing balconies.

Congested elevators are the mid-ship ones, not the aft (or forward) ones.

We know the higher decks a person goes the more movement you feel. However, on the Emerald deck, near the location you talked about (BE) staterooms, do you feel much movement/vibration at this location ? Thanks for your help !

We know the higher decks a person goes the more movement you feel. However, on the Emerald deck, near the location you talked about (BE) staterooms, do you feel much movement/vibration at this location ? Thanks for your help !
I much prefer cabins towards the aft than mid-ship. I don't notice movement or vibration, mostly because I never get seasick and I really like lots of movement. The more the better. You might feel more vibration from the ship's thrusters as it approaches and sails from port.

There are two kinds of ship movement: fore-to-aft and side-to-side. The ship's stabilizers help control side-to-side movement. With fore-to-aft movement, the bow of the ship will experience the most movement. Towards the aft, waves tend to dissipate as the ship moves through the seas. Mid-ship cabins can often experience shuddering and noise from the stabilizers. The bottom line is that there's nowhere on the ship that will be free from movement or vibration.

I much prefer cabins towards the aft than mid-ship. I don't notice movement or vibration, mostly because I never get seasick and I really like lots of movement. The more the better. You might feel more vibration from the ship's thrusters as it approaches and sails from port.

There are two kinds of ship movement: fore-to-aft and side-to-side. The ship's stabilizers help control side-to-side movement. With fore-to-aft movement, the bow of the ship will experience the most movement. Towards the aft, waves tend to dissipate as the ship moves through the seas. Mid-ship cabins can often experience shuddering and noise from the stabilizers. The bottom line is that there's nowhere on the ship that will be free from movement or vibration.

I am like you in that respect, I enjoy the feeling of movement/vibration & have never been seasick. My g/f is not as "gifted" as I am and so trying to see on the Royal, being a bigger ship, may be a little different, regarding location, concerning more/less movement. We were on the Ruby Princess, Baja Deck, about 5 cabins forward from mid-ship & she was fine. We just did the Caribbean Princess on the Riviera Deck cabin 708 and she felt more movement there, I told her we were higher up, therefore more movement. I also told her that we will always feel some kind of movement.

Thanks Pam for your info :) !

We had a Deluxe Balcony D730 (Dolphin) on the Royal Princess Maiden Caribbean cruise. It was half covered, sort of like Carib Deck on Grand Class. We had a small amount of soot, but my wife was on top of it and I did not see it as a problem. It was a nice cabin

Edited by billco

We will be on the Royal for the New Year's sailing and our TA was able to book Caribe 303 - a handicap room. My husband uses a scooter and we were in a regular room the last cruise....yikes, talk about no room with that added. Anyway, has anyone stayed in these type of cabins before on the Royal? I'm just curious if there is enough room to park the scooter inside and get around it without crawling over the bed and how big the balconies are? My husband spends a lot of time on the balcony as he does not like going about the ship very much. Thanks in advance for any help or advice! Lori