drivers license question

valandemmy

Your address should match your booking method! Especially if you are sailing with your birth certificate instead of the passport! However, my strongest suggestion would be to call your PVP or carnival directly for the facts!

no passport... just license and birth certificate

you are not getting some form of discount based on your residence, you will have no problem.

But, you should consider . . .

A) obtaining a passport. Yes, it costs a few dollar more BUT it is good for several years. So, you can consider it as only "$x for each year of a 10-year period." This will save you hassles in the future for any/all future trips; OR

B) go to your new state of residency and get a State ID card as opposed to a new DL. The State ID card costs only a few dollars and will work.

no passport... just license and birth certificate

I can report change of address to NY DMV on line rather easily. In NY, we have maybe 30 days after moving to update the new address otherwise it's a violation.

If you cruise in 35 days, there should be enough time to get a current DL.

you are not getting some form of discount based on your residence, you will have no problem.

A) obtaining a passport. Yes, it costs a few dollar more BUT it is good for several years. So, you can consider it as only "$x for each year of a 10-year period." This will save you hassles in the future for any/all future trips; OR

B) go to your new state of residency and get a State ID card as opposed to a new DL. The State ID card costs only a few dollars and will work.

FYI, Keep in mind IF you get an ID card printed in any state, it automatically cancels your drivers license in any state. Be careful not to lose your driving privilege. Seems like it would just be easier to get a new DL issued in your new home state ASAP.

As long at the DL is valid they aren't going to check the address (maybe if you have a resident rate, but still unlikely). If it would make you feel better you could of course obtain an updated license with your correct address, which as mentioned is required by state law anyway. The purpose of showing your DL while boarding is to prove your identity, not where you live. Getting a passport is of course an option but I wouldn't get one in these circumstances unless I was already planning to get one for future travel.

Your address should match your booking method! Especially if you are sailing with your birth certificate instead of the passport! However, my strongest suggestion would be to call your PVP or carnival directly for the facts!

Carnival doesn't give a hoot where you live unless you need to prove residence location for a promotion

Very well said. I think that a passport is a good investment in time and money. While traveling with your bc and id may seem like an easier choice right now, traveling with a passport is much easier in the long run. Please consider it as you plan for your upcoming trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The ID that Carnival cares most about is your Credit Card or whatever you are using to pay your bill.

Your BC and DL is second because that assures Carnival that you can re-enter the US at the end of your cruise. Thus they will have no liability for allowing you to sail without proper ID.

As to your case....Carnival will not cross check your DL address with your mailing address.

My wife and I are snowbirds. We live in FL in the winter, use our FL address and phone for our bookings so that we can promptly receive any last minute messages from the cruise line.

Our DL's are from Kentucky. Never had anyone check or question the address. All they do is look at the photo to verify you are who you say you are.

Side point: There are no addresses in a Passport. Just a photo and a PP number.

Very well said. I think that a passport is a good investment in time and money. While traveling with your bc and id may seem like an easier choice right now, traveling with a passport is much easier in the long run. Please consider it as you plan for your upcoming trip.

It's only a good investment if it will be used frequently enough to warrant the expense since cruise travel offers less expensive options. I haven't seen that it's significantly easier to use. For us it didn't make sense to obtain passports until we were in a position to be able to travel internationally by air. We are planning a trip to Germany next year and are of course planning on getting our passports for the trip.

It's only a good investment if it will be used frequently enough to warrant the expense since cruise travel offers less expensive options. I haven't seen that it's significantly easier to use. For us it didn't make sense to obtain passports until we were in a position to be able to travel internationally by air. We are planning a trip to Germany next year and are of course planning on getting our passports for the trip.

I understand your point but I'm going to have to disagree with you. I think whenever you're traveling, even domestically, a passport can expedite moving through anything that requires I.D. checkpoints because its authenticity and it is universally accepted. While traveling on a cruise, if there was ever a situation where you needed support in a foreign country a passport is essential. A passport is valid for 10 years and does not have any address information on it. All of cruise lines, including Carnival, *strongly* recommend that their passengers travel with a passport. Finally, a passport can be used for other I.D. purposes other than travel ( eg new employment verification). In my mind its just part of the costs of traveling/vacationing that's made once per year.

I understand your point but I'm going to have to disagree with you. I think whenever you're traveling, even domestically, a passport can expedite moving through anything that requires I.D. checkpoints because its authenticity and it is universally accepted. While traveling on a cruise, if there was ever a situation where you needed support in a foreign country a passport is essential. A passport is valid for 10 years and does not have any address information on it. All of cruise lines, including Carnival, *strongly* recommend that their passengers travel with a passport. Finally, a passport can be used for other I.D. purposes other than travel ( eg new employment verification). In my mind its just part of the costs of traveling/vacationing that's made once per year.

You may disagree with me all that you want to, it's no sweat off my brow at all:). Different strokes for different folks. If something happens while in a foreign port (which is a very small risk for me and for most passengers) then that is what the Consulate is there for and their services are available to those with or without a passport. Last cruise we moved through the ID checkpoint at disembarkation in about 30 seconds. There are multiple things that a passport may be used for but it's purpose is for international travel by air and for travel outside of the Western Hemisphere. For other forms of travel within the Western Hemisphere there are options.

Ok so all the OP wanted was to know if her address had to match they did not ask to be lectures on getting a passport. Short answer carnival is checking your bc and dl before boarding to make sure that when you come back and go through us customs you will be able to re enter without issue as far as us customs is concerned they could care less if your dl is even valid you are not driving they just need a government Id to make sure you are a citizen

Ok so all the OP wanted was to know if her address had to match they did not ask to be lectures on getting a passport. Short answer carnival is checking your bc and dl before boarding to make sure that when you come back and go through us customs you will be able to re enter without issue as far as us customs is concerned they could care less if your dl is even valid you are not driving they just need a government Id to make sure you are a citizen

I have heard of people being turned away with expired DL's so I wouldn't chance it, unless my license clearly said "valid as ID when expired" or something along those lines.