What Else Should We Do In Juneau

doodlebugakj

We arrive on HAL Westerdam at 1pm and leave at 10pm so tell me if I can do everything I have listed or if I am missing something. Also in reality when will we be able to get off the boat because I am figuring that 1pm time means just getting into port?

Will be renting a car for our short little visit because we want to be able to see as much as possible :) Here is what is on our list so far

Mendenhall Glacier and Nugget Falls (any other things not to miss here?)

The Shrine of St Therese

Amalga Harbor

Douglas Island

Mt Roberts Tram (if it's nice)

Thanks so much!

Whatever you do make sure and get out of town. I knew it would be touristy but oh my, it can get soooo crowded. Our main excursion was cancelled due to rain and fog (helicopter glacier dog sled tour) as were all the air excursions. So everyone raced to get the whale tours. We ended up doing the land dog sled tour (which was fabulous) but couldn't get it until 5:15. So we were at a loss of where to go. We wanted to ride the tram but many people did and said they couldn't see anything of the view due to the fog. We should have went to the glacier but didn't have time to go there and get back in time for the dog sled tour.

We did eat at Tracy's crab shack and that was really good :D.

Since we are getting in mid-day should we go to Mendenhall Glacier first? And plan about 2 hours there?

Then to drive the drive out the Glacier Hwy will take about how long? Looks like several of the places we were recommended to see are out that way :) Then what should we see out on Douglas Island? Figured the tram was a fun thing but only if the weather is nice, but we might not have time for that.

I like beer but I will be with 3 teenagers so maybe not the place to stop unless they have food there also. Or I guess I could get a few to take back on the boat with me!

Will be renting a car for our short little visit because we want to be able to see as much as possible :) Here is what is on our list so far

Mendenhall Glacier and Nugget Falls (any other things not to miss here?)

The Shrine of St Therese

Amalga Harbor

Douglas Island

Mt Roberts Tram (if it's nice)

Thanks so much!

I think you have a decent list going. Personally, I put the glacier and Nugget Falls at the top of the list. I think the Shrine is a good choice as well. I always recommend people spend a little time on the Steep Creek Trail. Given you have a car and are leaving a bit later in the evening, again depending on the time of year you are going, bears often come out in the evening along Steep Creek if the fish are running. When the fish are running and I head out there after 7PM or so, I usually see bears about every other visit. It is far from a sure thing, but it is the most consistent place around Juneau that I have seen them.

Amalga Harbor really isn't much more than a boat launching area. The drive is as scenic as most other drives around Juneau. There are a few trails out that direction, but personally, I would not put this high on my list of places to see. Maybe my view is a bit jaded by the fact I usually use this harbor to put the boats in the water and don't think of it as much more than a boat launch :)

I don't think you mentioned the time of year you are going or if you are headed that way soon, but I'd put the fish hatchery (DIPAC) on the list. If the fish are running, it is a neat site to see. If people are fishing, it often allows for some great pictures of eagles as they swoop down to get scraps. I vowed I would take the tour this year and ended up not going on it :(

Another quick stop could be St. Nicholas Russian Orthodox Church. It probably has been 15 years since I visited there, but it is kind of neat to see such an old church. I recall it being a small building and a quick stop.

On Douglas, there is a place called Sandy Beach. I think the real name is Saviko Park. On a nice day, it is a great place to walk a bit and get a few nice pictures of Juneau. It is the only place in Juneau that I can recall that actually has a sand beach. Most other beaches are rock/gravel.

I personally like going to the Auke Rec beach area. It sounds like your kids are older, but my kids being from the midwest and having never spent much time around the ocean like to walk around looking at the tide pools and collecting shells and such. My oldest is only 11, so things like this still hold their interest.

While I haven't been that far in a few years, the Glacier Highway out past Eagle Beach has some pullouts that offer a spectacular view.

Hope you enjoy your trip :)

Amalga Harbor really isn't much more than a boat launching area. The drive is as scenic as most other drives around Juneau. There are a few trails out that direction, but personally, I would not put this high on my list of places to see. Maybe my view is a bit jaded by the fact I usually use this harbor to put the boats in the water and don't think of it as much more than a boat launch :)

The salt chuck at Amalga is one of the loveliest and special places in Juneau, IMO. Even the boat launch is lovely as well with a peaceful setting. The trails between the launch and chuck are a quick and easy way to get into the woods. There's informative panels along the trail as well.

If the salmon are running it's a great chance to see them jumping from the ocean into the chuck.

I live in Juneau, and live Out the Road, doing this drive every day of the week, and I never fail to be struck by beauty at every turn of the road. I don't consider it boring and not worth taking the time. There's new 'end of the road' with an added couple of miles last year.

Is there a way to visit The Shrine Of St. Therese without having a rental car? We plan on taking a 5 hour Whale Watching & Glacier tour, but are in port from 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.

No. There used to be a tour operator that included it in their tour. But this is a place that is simply driven to.

I would suggest, if you want to visit there, you get a rental car, and just drive yourself to/from the whale watch. You have ALL day in port and plenty of time to see and do a lot.

The combo tour you purchased, will probably only have a 45 minute stop at Mendenhall. Not enough time for getting to Nugget Falls, if of interest.

Edited by Budget Queen

Is there a way to visit The Shrine Of St. Therese without having a rental car? We plan on taking a 5 hour Whale Watching & Glacier tour, but are in port from 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.

Any of the cab companies do a tour rate and go to the Shrine. It may be more time efficient to have one meet you at whichever whale watching dock you're at and head Out the Road from there. Otherwise, you'd have to travel back downtown to the rental car office and back Out the Road, using up about an hour of time.

Any of the cab companies do a tour rate and go to the Shrine. It may be more time efficient to have one meet you at whichever whale watching dock you're at and head Out the Road from there. Otherwise, you'd have to travel back downtown to the rental car office and back Out the Road, using up about an hour of time.

I suggested driving to/from their whale watch, then continuing on for more touring.

We will be in Juneau next week on 8/25 :) Are the salmon running?

Thanks for the additional suggestions. Will add them and hopefully get to see them all!

The salmon should be quite visible along Creek Street in Ketchikan. That time of year we saw a bear along the creek at the Mendenhall parking lot, so there must have been salmon there too.

Since we are getting in mid-day should we go to Mendenhall Glacier first? And plan about 2 hours there?

Then to drive the drive out the Glacier Hwy will take about how long? Looks like several of the places we were recommended to see are out that way :) Then what should we see out on Douglas Island? Figured the tram was a fun thing but only if the weather is nice, but we might not have time for that.

I like beer but I will be with 3 teenagers so maybe not the place to stop unless they have food there also. Or I guess I could get a few to take back on the boat with me!

Sorry no food at the brewery...but was surprised that RCI did let us bring 4 bottled beers onboard and then 4 more from Skagway Brewery..they were wrapped up..maybe we were just lucky as we were assuming they would hold them until cruise end...and they did make it unopened back to Los Angeles..thanks to "Jet Bags".

Sorry no food at the brewery...but was surprised that RCI did let us bring 4 bottled beers onboard and then 4 more from Skagway Brewery..they were wrapped up..maybe we were just lucky as we were assuming they would hold them until cruise end...and they did make it unopened back to Los Angeles..thanks to "Jet Bags".

I have had "good luck" bringing beer on the ship. That doesn't seem to be an issue? I don't know. I usually only have a 6 pack of Alaskan Amber- my husband's favorite, and haven't had it taken- which would be ok, if they did. (contrary- had a 6 pack of Stingray City beer taken in Grand Cayman in March) :)

We will be in Juneau next week on 8/25 :) Are the salmon running?

Thanks for the additional suggestions. Will add them and hopefully get to see them all!

Salmon are in Lake Creek right now- and in many other streams in the area.