Vantage question

amd1234

Just trying to get an idea of how the different players in the market operate. Was there just one Program Director on the ship? A concierge also?

There was one Program Director and a Concierge, but my understanding was that the tips were for the Program Director only.

FuelScience

For comparison - On Avalon it was suggested as follows

Crew €12. Per passenger per day

Cruise Director €3. Per passenger per day

Credit cards were accepted for gratuities. On an envelope was left in our rooms for anyone giving cash. There was no indication or space for cabin numbers or names

I really have too much time on my hands! I checked my bill for last Vantage cruise to Black Sea in July. Here's what I did while drinking my coffee:

Suggested Amount paid TM only per person: 25€

Number of passengers 140: that's 3500€ per trip

Convert that into US$: $4,623.00 per trip for TM alone....

Average monthly income in eastern Europe is 1000€ per month.

So TM earns about 3.5x per month more than her neighbors....and considering they average 2 trips per month they make over $8000 per month US.

I think I was in the wrong profession.

Edited by Hydrokitty

For comparison - On Avalon it was suggested as follows

Crew €12. Per passenger per day

Cruise Director €3. Per passenger per day

Credit cards were accepted for gratuities. On an envelope was left in our rooms for anyone giving cash. There was no indication or space for cabin numbers or names

My curiosity continues . . . Just trying to get an idea of how the different players in the market operate. Was there just one Program Director on the ship? A concierge also?

Edited by CPT Trips

My curiosity continues . . . Just trying to get an idea of how the different players in the market operate. Was there just one Program Director on the ship? A concierge also?

Until this year Vantage had 4 program directors and no concierge. Now there is one program director and one concierge. Vantage seems happy with that....many of their customers are not. I don't know what other lines aredoing. I did hear that several Vantage program directors are now with Viking.

I really have too much time on my hands! I checked my bill for last Vantage cruise to Black Sea in July. Here's what I did while drinking my coffee:

So TM earns about 3.5x per month more than her neighbors....and considering they average 2 trips per month they make over $8000 per month US.

With the exception of one trip, our PDs have been from Western Europe, so there is a different economic comparison. They are also well educated and multilingual and put in long days, with little time off if they get in 24 tours a year with a line like Vantage. And then they have to deal with all the problem events and people that get described here ;) :rolleyes: add to that the likelihood that not every cruise is full.

Maybe it isn't the wrong profession for a lot of us?

Edited by CPT Trips

Until this year Vantage had 4 program directors and no concierge. Now there is one program director and one concierge. Vantage seems happy with that....many of their customers are not. I don't know what other lines aredoing. I did hear that several Vantage program directors are now with Viking.

Yep! A Viking cruiser weighed in that they have one TM/CD. And I was hoping that the Avalon cruiser who posted above would reply.

Yep! A Viking cruiser weighed in that they have one TM/CD. And I was hoping that the Avalon cruiser who posted above would reply.

Hi CPT....I'm not saying they don't earn the money.....but most of ours were from eastern Europe that's why I used eastern Europe for the salary comparison....and they are well paid. Vantage doesn't have as many ships as Viking and with the new structure of single TM and concierge so I would imagine they might work more than another line might. I've been on 6 trips with them and never not had a full boat....that being said quite frankly there's not enough money in the world to make me put up with me for 10-20 days on a boat! :) and bottom line I wouldn't go with anyone else, but I do like the "old" way better. It looks like all of them are moving in this direction probably saves them money.

Does anyone know of another line that does the one TM/PD per about 40 people? I only know of Grand Circle.

I thought everybody did and Vantage was one of the very few who did not. I'll be interested in responses.

I am not aware of any other cruise line that did this. Certainly AMA has only one Cruise Director, who arranges everything onboard and tries to accompany some of the tours (I assume to evaluate the local guides).

So to give Vantage credit, they are cutting back from 4x the industry to standard to 1.5-2x (CD + Concierge).

I am not aware of any other cruise line that did this. Certainly AMA has only one Cruise Director, who arranges everything onboard and tries to accompany some of the tours (I assume to evaluate the local guides).

So to give Vantage credit, they are cutting back from 4x the industry to standard to 1.5-2x (CD + Concierge).

My curiosity is satisfied!:D

Hi CPT....I'm not saying they don't earn the money.....but most of ours were from eastern Europe that's why I used eastern Europe for the salary comparison....and they are well paid. Vantage doesn't have as many ships as Viking and with the new structure of single TM and concierge so I would imagine they might work more than another line might. I've been on 6 trips with them and never not had a full boat....that being said quite frankly there's not enough money in the world to make me put up with me for 10-20 days on a boat! :) and bottom line I wouldn't go with anyone else, but I do like the "old" way better. It looks like all of them are moving in this direction probably saves them money.

I do know you didn't say that, sorry if my post came across that way. It's evident from you posts that you understand and appreciate the work the TM does.

Over the years I have followed river cruising here there have been threads and posters justifying the contention that the recommended tips are too high by trying to prove how " over paid" these staff are. I'd hate to see them misuse the information you provided.

If you really like the "old" way better, try the only line I have travelled with, GCT. I don't know any other way to river cruise. ;). FWIW they will start including tips for local guides and drivers, the pooled crew gratuities can be charged to you credit card in the amount you set or paid in cash. You cash tip the PD at your discretion. A great way to handle any excess local cash and avoid converting back to $ and losing on both ends of the exchange.

That sounds high..

I jumped into this discussion a little late. Is it my understanding that Vantage is now automatically billing for tips at the end of the trip at a fixed rate. I thought tipping was strictly voluntarily and if you wanted to tip someone more or liess that was your option. It seems that Vantage is significantly raising the prices on their 2015 cruises and reducing the number of support staff. The personal touches the Cruise Directors gave was one of the reasons I decided to go with them. It looks like they are putting profit ahead of its travelers.

I do know you didn't say that, sorry if my post came across that way. It's evident from you posts that you understand and appreciate the work the TM does.

Over the years I have followed river cruising here there have been threads and posters justifying the contention that the recommended tips are too high by trying to prove how " over paid" these staff are. I'd hate to see them misuse the information you provided.

If you really like the "old" way better, try the only line I have travelled with, GCT. I don't know any other way to river cruise. ;). FWIW they will start including tips for local guides and drivers, the pooled crew gratuities can be charged to you credit card in the amount you set or paid in cash. You cash tip the PD at your discretion. A great way to handle any excess local cash and avoid converting back to $ and losing on both ends of the exchange.

No offense was taken CPT:D so no apology is necessary! I was just clarifying why I used eastern Europe as a comparison. Our TM was from Bulgaria and concierge from Croatia.

I know GCT started as an arm of AARP and is now owned by the brother of the Vantage owner. To be totally honest, I have traveled so many times with them that I hate to give up the perks! Although I really would rather not be invited to the Captain's table....it's just not my thing:D As for other gratuities, Vantage does it the same as GCT, except for inclusion of local guides and drivers, and I really prefer to take care of them on my own.

Edited by Hydrokitty

That sounds high..

If you're talking about the suggested tip guide, it is high: here is the recommended tips copied directly from our final documents:

City host: 2 E per person per day (city host is guide for pre and post extensions)

cruise director & concierge: 3-6 E per person, per day.

Ship staff & Crew: 9-11E per person, per day.

For all of the above you can pay in cash or put them on bill to your credit card.

You are able to adjust the amount "according to the level of service you're received. An adjustment can be made at the reception desk prior to settling your bill".

since this particular cruise was 10 days, cruise director & concierge recommended tip was between 30 & 60 E per person. And it does seem high now that I've read posts from CCers on other lines. However, most of the time the level of service is worth the amount. The only one I had a problem with was the concierge because all she did for us was call a taxi! For most passengers she didn't do anything....so even HALF of the recommended gratuity is a lot for someone who didn't do anything for you that was over and above what they were hired to do.

Edited by Hydrokitty

Our documents came today. :D For the first time, there is now in print:

"VANTAGE CRUISE DIRECTOR & CONCIERGE - As a guideline, we recommend a gratuity of 3-6 euros per person per day."

That sounds like it would somehow be split between the two of them? The "per person" in this sentence refers to the passengers.

Our Cruise Director is George Biboi and the Concierge is Ana-Maria Curea, if any of you have sailed with either of them.

Edited by bobpatj
spelling

"VANTAGE CRUISE DIRECTOR & CONCIERGE - As a guideline, we recommend a gratuity of 3-6 euros per person per day."

That sounds like it would somehow be split between the two of them? The "per person" in this sentence refers to the passengers.

Our Cruise Director is George Biboi and the Concierge is Ana-Maria Curea, if any of you have sailed with either of them.[

Haven't heard if either of them but this is the first year doing it this way. Where are you going?

Our Cruise Director is George Biboi and the Concierge is Ana-Maria Curea, if any of you have sailed with either of them.[

Haven't heard if either of them but this is the first year doing it this way. Where are you going?

The Cruise Director & Concierge gratuity was combined. Not 3-6 euros for EACH of them but 3-6 euros charged per passenger. We we automatically charged 50 euros x2 on our bill. (10 day cruise)

Our concierge was supposed to have been Ana-Marie Curea....wish we had her instead of "Charles" who did nothing!!!

Edited by pbnjrockette

The Cruise Director & Concierge gratuity was combined. Not 3-6 euros for EACH of them but 3-6 euros charged per passenger. We we automatically charged 50 euros x2 on our bill. (10 day cruise)

Our concierge was supposed to have been Ana-Marie Curea....wish we had her instead of "Charles" who did nothing!!!

We were charged the same and I wanted to give more to our TM, Slavka instead of our concierge "Anika" who also did nothing!!!!

We're cruising French Waterways: Highlights of Burgundy, Beaujolais and Provence, with a pre-stay in Paris.

Very nice. I was in France and went from Paris to Nice and Monaco and then completely around the country for 3 weeks....on a bus! We went with Trafalgar and it was wonderful, but I would NEVER EVER do it again!!!! We were exhausted when we got home. But it was fantastic.:D