Trying to make Mom happy (re: Noordam 11/3/14 ABC Islands cruise)

bert425

I do not have a seating chart at hand ... hopefully someone else can post a link. OP can see exactly where the six-tops are. Then the OP or his TA could call Ship's Services and request a certain table number.

I know it sounds silly to some about the round table. But I have known many people who absolutely must have a round table for any group dining events.

Edited by Linda&Vern

Bert425,

the rectangle tables for 6 at the aft of the ship are just fabulous. Great for conversation and on top of that... wonderful view. The tables for 8, very difficult to hear the conversation of someone not near you. Remember the noise created by all of the other conversations. in the dining room. Those aft tables take care of that problem.

I sat with a wonderful group on my first Panama Canal cruise. We had open dining, but ended up becoming a group and always had the same aft rectangle table. Easy to talk to everyone...and for everyone to hear. Lots of great sunsets. Many times, you could see the fish or dolphins playing in the wake of the ship.

Mom will really like it. Trust me! :)

Here is a link to seating chart for upper level of MDR on Vista ships:

http://www.wa70.com/hal/dining/ulV.jpg

OP said they have traditional dining so they will be on upper level of MDR.

Use the seating plan on Sail7seas' map and submit a request for one of the handful of round 6 tops. If you can't get one of those, get a rectangular 3x2 six top. If your party is open to it, shift clockwise one position each night. If that presents a problem, put your benefactors in the middle seats and rotate around them.

Here is a link to seating chart for upper level of MDR on Vista ships:

http://www.wa70.com/hal/dining/ulV.jpg

OP said they have traditional dining so they will be on upper level of MDR.

yeah, we're the 8pm seating, as far as i know.

I am keeping all this info, and I will chat with my Mom about it on Sunday.

as of my last conversation with her, she is insisting she wants a round table, but the seating chart you linked does show (as others have said), the Rectangular seem to be near the windows.

of course, knowing my Mom? "it's 8pm, there won't be anything to look at out the windows anyways!"

LOL

but I greatly appreciate all the advice, and will speak to her about the suggestions here!

thanks so much everyone!

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from out of town for two weeks. . so wanted to pass along the update!

my Mom's comment about the rectangular tables for 6?

"it's dark, we have late seating, what is there to see out the windows?"

(see how well I know my Mother?). . LOL

she got the Travel agent to make a call and see if he can sit us by the oval work-station tables.

I haven't heard back, but my Dad told me *not* to call HAL and we'll just sit where they put us, and make due.

(yeah, right. . like he doesn't know my Mom. . . . "make due". .yeah. .that will go over well! ). Oh well. .it will be a great cruise regardless!

Edited by bert425

Just got back from out of town for two weeks. . so wanted to pass along the update!

my Mom's comment about the rectangular tables for 6?

"it's dark, we have late seating, what is there to see out the windows?"

(see how well I know my Mother?). . LOL

she got the Travel agent to make a call and see if he can sit us by the oval work-station tables.

I haven't heard back, but my Dad told me *not* to call HAL and we'll just sit where they put us, and make due.

(yeah, right. . like he doesn't know my Mom. . . . "make due". .yeah. .that will go over well! ). Oh well. .it will be a great cruise regardless!

Having elderly parents myself including a father who's not the easiest to please ... I'd say in this case ... step back and let your mom and dad handle it. It's your Mom's thing. You've given her good advise and I'd imagine your Dad has enough years of experience that he can take the heat if she doesn't get her way.:D

The distance across a round table for 8 is pretty wide, longer than the diagonal measurement of a table for six. I would say that at a six, the people farthest apart are still going to be closer to each other than they would be on an 8--and the people in the middle on each side are within easy conversation distance to everybody at the table.

When we have big family cruises we have a dining room rule (without being too rigid about it): first person to the table chooses a new seat; and everyone should sit next to somebody new each night. :)

We are sailing on the Noordam just a bit later and we have already contacted HAL and had our TA contact HAL about dining table assignments. We asked for exactly what you want: a 6-person round table. We even provided table numbers - see attached link.

Hope this helps:

http://halfacts.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/NODM.pdf

Having elderly parents myself including a father who's not the easiest to please ... I'd say in this case ... step back and let your mom and dad handle it. It's your Mom's thing. You've given her good advise and I'd imagine your Dad has enough years of experience that he can take the heat if she doesn't get her way.:D

I completely agree. :D

What about changing to As you Wish dining, you can make reservations and there are more round tables for 6 in the Lower Dining Room.

I'm gonna take a wait and see attitude at this point.

I've passed along the info and suggestions here.

(and I fully expect she will not be pleased with the oval tables near the waiter stations, and we end up at a rectangular table anyways. But did what I could).

and I DO appreciate all the suggestions and advice.

We are sailing on the Noordam just a bit later and we have already contacted HAL and had our TA contact HAL about dining table assignments. We asked for exactly what you want: a 6-person round table. We even provided table numbers - see attached link.

Hope this helps:

thanks.

I will forward this along to them and then step back :)

• 1 month later...

just a quick update, as we are 3 weeks out now.

my Mom is very pleased that, per the Travel Agent, we got a 6 person Oval table :cool:

Oh well. . she'll be happy to have something to complain about :)

(on the bright side, I did call HAL late last week, and today got a response back that I'm able to use our gifted Pinnacle Grill dinner (from the TA), to celebrate my Brother's Birthday in style.

so at least one night will not be in MDR).

just a quick update, as we are 3 weeks out now.

my Mom is very pleased that, per the Travel Agent, we got a 6 person Oval table :cool:

Oh well. . she'll be happy to have something to complain about :)

(on the bright side, I did call HAL late last week, and today got a response back that I'm able to use our gifted Pinnacle Grill dinner (from the TA), to celebrate my Brother's Birthday in style.

so at least one night will not be in MDR).

Bert - Please let us know after your cruise how everything went!

• 5 months later...

Hope this helps:

thank you so much for the link!! we just got assigned #73 on our upcoming Alaska cruise! I am wondering what are the little circles next to some of the tables? or in the middle of the floor? thanks!

really??? we always use a TA and I called HAL to arrange tables on several occasions. I had no problem at all???

In any case, it's worth the op's effort to try and at the very least she can then have her TA do it if necessary, but it has not been so for us.:confused:

Same here Jacqui. We booked through our TA but sometimes call the Ship's Services Director for the ship. We have had Table #30 reserved four our B2B cruises in May, which was confirmed in February by HAL. We also have had our TA request a certain table which has always been confirmed.

Same here Jacqui. We booked through our TA but sometimes call the Ship's Services Director for the ship. We have had Table #30 reserved four our B2B cruises in May, which was confirmed in February by HAL. We also have had our TA request a certain table which has always been confirmed.

To clarify on our table #73 we just received , we did call HAL and they sent our request to ship services and we were assigned the table we requested. So I agree, it pays to call and request a table.

Edited by 232271