New Technology on Quantum......Thoughts?

I have no desire to be using my cellphone on a cruise. I keep mine OFF to avoid roaming and other fees. I also have no desire to be wearing a wristband during vacation. I prefer to have my drinks mixed my a person, not a robot. Needless to say I won't be booking this ship anytime soon.

And that is your choice. But, none of the things you point out are you required to do. So, just keep your cell phone off, and use a sea pass card, and go to a bar with a human bartender. But just think, if there is some type of emergency at home while your away, wouldn't it be nice to have the ability to use your phone?

I am excited to see the extension of this technology to cruising. While I cruise, I tell people at work that I am disconnected, but I like to check in on family. Now it is hard for me to get more than 8-10 days off work so I see this technology announcement as an opportunity to take longer cruises or back to back cruises and connect to work to allow me to get the longer time off.

Mary

I think RCI is trying to appeal to those who want to be connected. I would rather spend my time enjoying the features of the ship, not doing something I could do at home. However, I am interested in the Royal iQ app. I read a post on RCI's facebook page that said it could be used to text family members onboard (hopefully for free). When my family sailed on the Oasis, we rented the iPhones onboard in order to keep in touch. We usually bring walkie talkies so we can locate each other. Given the size of the ship, this is invaluable. I think the luggage tracking feature is nice. I would not wear the bracelet though. I feel sorry for the husband whose spouse finds it hard to disconnect. :( vacations should be for having fun and making memories. I hope people will not be making/receiving calls at dinner, in the theater, or other public venues. Who wants to be relaxing at the pool having to listen to someone on the phone - ugh! This satellite must have cost a pretty penny so I figure the cost of internet will be reflective of RCI's expense so hopefully the cost will limit most from using it. I am looking forward to Two70 entertainment or just looking out at the ocean. The Bionic Bar seems like a cool gimmick. The more variety RCI provides, the more it keeps any one place from becoming too crowded. I agree with the cruise planner issues that RCI needs to address. Looking forward to reading the feedback from those cruising on Quantum before us.

FYI - for those of you who are concerned about the wristbands not being removable, you are thinking of shackles and not a wristband. Do you really think Royal is going to give you a wristband that cannot be removed?

I have tried Disney's MagicBands and enjoyed the experience - I agree with the other poster who said they are very easy-to-use and unobtrusive. I also like not having to handle a keycard all the time, which just spreads germs everywhere.

For those people who don't use a wristband, the keycards must also be RFID enabled as this construction photo looks like the rooms only have RFID readers and not a keycard slot:

Indented doorways

I wonder if RCL will have tablets in their restaurants to order from. For instance, Chili's has tablets at tables that Ione can order food/drinks and do not have to wait for waiter/waitress. It'll save on paper menus.

I wonder if RCL will have tablets in their restaurants to order from. For instance, Chili's has tablets at tables that Ione can order food/drinks and do not have to wait for waiter/waitress. It'll save on paper menus.

I personally hope not, especially since they only have one menu per venue. But I have always wanted the waiters to have this. It would make it so much easier for them to answer questions about the dishes, make accommodations for allergies, know if a substitution is possible, and even just ensure they are not out of something before walking away with the order.

Celebrity has tablets in Q'Sine, which is one of there specialty restaurants.

And that is your choice. But, none of the things you point out are you required to do. So, just keep your cell phone off, and use a sea pass card, and go to a bar with a human bartender. But just think, if there is some type of emergency at home while your away, wouldn't it be nice to have the ability to use your phone?

EXACTLY! I am so sick of everyone who is putting down the technology on this ship. If you don't want to use it, DON'T! Simple as that. For me, it's a godsend to be able to actually keep in touch with a mother in a nursing home and to actually get away while being able to do some work. I'm a techie geek and cannot wait to see how this all plays out! Imagine how far we've come in 10 or even 5 years of cruising! The whole playing field has changed.

And why wouldn't this be about money? RCL has a business to run with a lot of customers to make happy. So what if they make money on these improvements! That's what they are supposed to do! I still love going to Disney and love all of their improvements, why not allow cruising to change and go forward as well?

It's also ONE robotic bartender. Give me a break! It's a novelty. Have some fun with it for crying out loud. It's cool and fun. Let's just give it a try. Remember all the complaints about Oasis before she came out. Now I don't want to go without any of those added features on any ship. I'm spoiled.

Yes, there will be problems at first, but that's how issues get worked out. I think it takes a lot of guts to be the first to try something new and I commend RCL for doing so. Let's give it all a try first.

Remember you can still turn off your cell phone or not purchase a wristband. It's your choice!!!!

We boarded in Bayonne right after hurricane Sandy and they were not able to take our pictures for the seapasses in the terminal. They had enough equipment up and running to do the check in process. Makes me wonder what if something like that happens again. How will your luggage be checked in if the power is out?

Also, RCL seems to have been constantly having demagnizing of the seapasses. On one of my sailings, 3 times my seapass had to be replaced during the same voyage. Never found out what was causing the problem.

Never encountered this problem on Princess or Carnival.

Not sure about robot bartenders. Is this a way to cut out employees and their salaries? Too impersonal for my taste.

Having had a lovely young lady at my table who sat through the entire meal glued to her phone (doing whatever) was very impolite as another passenger pointed out. One of the other ladies seated at the table even asked her to put her phone away and join in on the conversation. She said it was work related. The waiter bearly was able to tear her away long enough to take her order and then the same process was repeated when he had to deliver the food.

Now to have the whole ship with that level of connectivity, why bother with entertainment, etc. On vacation I want to get away from everything and just live in the moment.

I guess RCL is no longer interested in the non-computer savy types who "occassionally" tend to book with them and may have reached the Diamond level.

Might as well have an Apple store on board. May be this is part of the "upscale" store that will arrive before the ship goes over to China.

MARAPRINCE

EXACTLY! I am so sick of everyone who is putting down the technology on this ship. If you don't want to use it, DON'T! Simple as that. For me, it's a godsend to be able to actually keep in touch with a mother in a nursing home and to actually get away while being able to do some work. I'm a techie geek and cannot wait to see how this all plays out! Imagine how far we've come in 10 or even 5 years of cruising! The whole playing field has changed.

And why wouldn't this be about money? RCL has a business to run with a lot of customers to make happy. So what if they make money on these improvements! That's what they are supposed to do! I still love going to Disney and love all of their improvements, why not allow cruising to change and go forward as well?

It's also ONE robotic bartender. Give me a break! It's a novelty. Have some fun with it for crying out loud. It's cool and fun. Let's just give it a try. Remember all the complaints about Oasis before she came out. Now I don't want to go without any of those added features on any ship. I'm spoiled.

Yes, there will be problems at first, but that's how issues get worked out. I think it takes a lot of guts to be the first to try something new and I commend RCL for doing so. Let's give it all a try first.

Remember you can still turn off your cell phone or not purchase a wristband. It's your choice!!!!

Amen! Couldn't have said it better. It's not like RC is forcing their guest to use the new technology. If they don't like it then they don't have to be bothered by it. Not only RC, but the cruising industry as a whole is continuing to evolve and move forward technologically wise. I think its a good thing. Safe to say when Quantum begins its voyages most cruisers will come to love the new technical advancements and can't imagine cruising without them.

Edited by Devoted2royal

Amen! Couldn't have said it better. It's not like RC is forcing their guest to use the new technology. If they don't like it then they don't have to be bothered by it. Not only RC, but the cruising industry as a whole is continuing to evolve and move forward technologically wise. I think its a good thing. Safe to say when Quantum begins its voyages most cruisers will come to love the new technical advancements and can't imagine cruising without them.

it'll be interesting to see how cruising and cruisers will evolve.

We boarded in Bayonne right after hurricane Sandy and they were not able to take our pictures for the seapasses in the terminal. They had enough equipment up and running to do the check in process. Makes me wonder what if something like that happens again. How will your luggage be checked in if the power is out?

Also, RCL seems to have been constantly having demagnizing of the seapasses. On one of my sailings, 3 times my seapass had to be replaced during the same voyage. Never found out what was causing the problem.

Never encountered this problem on Princess or Carnival.

Not sure about robot bartenders. Is this a way to cut out employees and their salaries? Too impersonal for my taste.

Having had a lovely young lady at my table who sat through the entire meal glued to her phone (doing whatever) was very impolite as another passenger pointed out. One of the other ladies seated at the table even asked her to put her phone away and join in on the conversation. She said it was work related. The waiter bearly was able to tear her away long enough to take her order and then the same process was repeated when he had to deliver the food.

Now to have the whole ship with that level of connectivity, why bother with entertainment, etc. On vacation I want to get away from everything and just live in the moment.

I guess RCL is no longer interested in the non-computer savy types who "occassionally" tend to book with them and may have reached the Diamond level.

Might as well have an Apple store on board. May be this is part of the "upscale" store that will arrive before the ship goes over to China.

MARAPRINCE

Finding balance between R&R and technology isn't easy for everyone, and is definitely a discipline that needs to be learned.

Because we're always plugged in, it's very difficult to go off of the grid.

Personally, it's next to impossible, but I managed to find this much easier when I didn't have a choice onboard Allure a few years ago.

As a result, my family and I had a more relaxing, enjoyable vacation.

That said, there are those that are more disciplined and can strike that balance without any issues. I commend those of you that can do this.

This isn't a technology issue. This is an issue of discipline and respect for others around you.

There is a time and a place for everything. If you need to do some work, you should have the ability to do so, and it should be done either while you're poolside, or in your cabin or some place where you aren't interacting with other people.

People need to understand that vacation is about choice, but knowing when to make the right choice is a discipline issue that not everybody is good at.

Respect the rights of people around you, and this can be an enjoyable vacation for everyone, regardless of your preferences.

Celebrity has tablets in Q'Sine, which is one of there specialty restaurants.

We were on Celebrity earlier this year and the place was empty every night, despite discounts being offered for a couple on the nights.

We were on Celebrity earlier this year and the place was empty every night, despite discounts being offered for a couple on the nights.

We loved Qsine and went twice during our cruise, sorry to hear it was so empty. Wished they had Qsine on board Quantum as Wonderland is not like Qsine at all.

Looking forward to our Quantum cruise.

Edited by Life is Good Cruising

I think like anything some of the technology, like the WOWbands, will take some getting use to and there might be some bugs or issues.

We definitely thought the other day's reveal had some hits and misses

Wearable technology is inevitable. I work in education and schools use them for student IDs, and consumer products like Google Glass and Fitibits, and it will be a matter of time until these devices are everywhere.

The improved technology for things like Wi-Fi are what travelers are looking for and there are additional, so folks who want to unplug can still stay completely off the grid.

While I admit, I was not a fan of buying internet when cruising, the plan on Allure for unlimited internet was reasonable and after using it for social media and games, along with other things while relaxing poolside, I will admit we were hooked.

I think it's gonna be a Microsoft store on board. Since royal teamed up with them given crews Microsoft tablets. And they had xbox to play.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's a good point. I wouldn't put it past them, but it just seems like it would be a waste of space. Could they sell tech products (similar to a Microsoft store), maybe. But I doubt a dedicated space for a branded store would be as profitable - retail on space on this ship is limited and let's be honest - how many people are going to buy a laptop/smartphone/XBOX on a cruise ship?

They do seem to have an "area" for XBOX, and perhaps they'll offer some products in the vicinity.

I think it's gonna be a Microsoft store on board. Since royal teamed up with them given crews Microsoft tablets. And they had xbox to play.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's a good point. I wouldn't put it past them, but it just seems like it would be a waste of space. Could they sell tech products (similar to a Microsoft store), maybe. But I doubt a dedicated space for a branded store would be as profitable - retail on space on this ship is limited and let's be honest - how many people are going to buy a laptop/smartphone/XBOX on a cruise ship?

They do seem to have an "area" for XBOX, and perhaps they'll offer some products in the vicinity.

I find the switch rather interesting, seems likely that it was a package deal where they got the 40,000 surfaces in exchange for going with Microsoft. The Oasis was all about Apple products including the Mac Mini's than ran the TV systems. The Celebrity Solstice class was all Apple as well with the first Apple authorized retailer at sea with the Celebrity iLounge which looked just like an Apple Store. http://www.celebritycruises.com/onboard-celebrity/internet-access-onboard

iloungesm.jpg

It offers Apple products for sale as well as use in place of the Internet lounge. They also offer Apple classes on using computers.

More recently though Celebrity introduced the Microsoft partnership with Xbox 360's on all of the ships including Xbox Live. They then took it to the next levels and had Xbox One available fleet wide on the day the console launched last year. Now it looks like Royal Caribbean is getting in on that deal. Certainly an obvious switch though from Apple to Microsoft without much overlap.

It sounds good if you are on a ship and have a drink package and do not need to sign anything. But, as the wife pointed out, she does not want to be wearing a band during formal night or when she is walking around the ship.

My understanding is that the band is optional (cost $2). Passengers may opt for standard issue card (no charge). The cards or bands will be your cabin. Needed information, including photo, will be submitted electronically to RCL from home before you cruise. A selfie will be used for your photo