Molecular Bar Question

tbmrt

That's exactly what Celebrity hopes you'll do. You're on vacation so who cares how much stuff costs....the sky's the limit :) You are a captive audience in a "modern luxury" resort.

The fact is many are "once a year cruisers" and they save for the big bash. Those are exactly the folks that Celebrity wants. Doesn't matter what it costs, love the specialty restaurants, love the suite life, love the special drinks...for my one cruise binge. some/many of us who cruise more often and cruise for the itinerary, the food, the no smoking and would rather cruise more than do a "splurge" vacation are not in Celebrity's cross hairs. Said another way, celebrity really doesn't want repeat customers, they want repeat bingers.

Celebrity would love to attract the 1%ers...but they're happy to attract the folks in the 99% who want to think they are living like the 1%ers on their vacation.

(I've intentionally exaggerated to make the point...I'm not focusing on Christine....but she triggered the thought:"i'm on vacation...price isn't important)

That is not us really. Normally we cruise multiple times a year but with a 93 yr old FIL we are not straying to far for a while. We only cruise for the itinerary, ship and then the amenities. We haven't done the Caribbean (have hit every island twice) in 5 years and every where else we try not to have too many duplicate ports. We book very, very early, (usually on board to maximize perks). These are not "splurge" vacations for us! Look where we have to fly from!! We are usually gone for a month no matter where we are cruising and are very jealous of those that can just drive to a port.

When we have the bev pkg and upgrade, you are right that "I am on a vacation" but total different scenario if we don't and hopefully that will never happen lol. I have cruised for years without a bev pkg and am hoping never to cruise without one again. I will pay $2+ for a special drink but also it has been 3 yrs since we have dined in a specialty restaurant. We are quite happy in balcony's/CC and the MDR.

I am sure we are not alone being willing to spend $2+ for a drink. At home we don't drink a lot of wine with just the two of us and I am much more venturous in trying new stuff. On the other hand, we have never spent $5-$7-$10 for Bistro on 5, and our only splurge has been in Gastrobar where we love the food and beer. And oops sorry, the Lawn Club Grill on the Silhouette (fav ship) what a excellent meal.

My point is - pick what is important to you and then determine if it is worth it. It is not the price but the value as these things vary between people.

My fav's Pouilly Fume and Conundrum were well within my budget:D

My apologies - I thought you were talking about "fabulous wines you would not try at home ". Conundrum on Celebrity requires a $1.50 upcharge now , = $14.50 a glass. (I guess plus tax on the $1.50?) It is available at BC Liqour ,one of the largest retailers in British Columbia , for $21 Canadian per 750ml bottle .Its $17.50 in California. I guess It ceratinly would be within your budget at home. Good news.

You are right about not being alone in being prepared to pay whatever extra Celebrity adds to the price or removes from the beverage package - especially when it comes to price and value. I just read here on CC ( Hey Kurt ) that we are indeed getting a bargain in the new World Class Bar - $15 drinks now so outside the Premium Package by $2 . The bargain is because Miami Bars charge $21 for a crappy martini. I feel better already.

That's exactly what Celebrity hopes you'll do. You're on vacation so who cares how much stuff costs....the sky's the limit :) You are a captive audience in a "modern luxury" resort.

The fact is many are "once a year cruisers" and they save for the big bash. Those are exactly the folks that Celebrity wants. Doesn't matter what it costs, love the specialty restaurants, love the suite life, love the special drinks...for my one cruise binge. some/many of us who cruise more often and cruise for the itinerary, the food, the no smoking and would rather cruise more than do a "splurge" vacation are not in Celebrity's cross hairs. Said another way, celebrity really doesn't want repeat customers, they want repeat bingers.

Celebrity would love to attract the 1%ers...but they're happy to attract the folks in the 99% who want to think they are living like the 1%ers on their vacation.

(I've intentionally exaggerated to make the point...I'm not focusing on Christine....but she triggered the thought:"i'm on vacation...price isn't important)

We cruise 3 Xs a year and always have the premium drinks package (promo or purchased) and will most defiantly be paying the up charge without issue if there's a drink of like to try... And just to point out we are not wealthy we just like to enjoy our holidays without restrictions as we both work very hard to be able to afford our cruises..

To be honest I don't see what all the fuss it about... You don't want to pay it don't have it... You don't want to become one of the so called 99% then pick another line... I'm sure there's plenty of others waiting to fill you're space on the ship! [emoji23]

We cruise 3 Xs a year and always have the premium drinks package (promo or purchased) and will most defiantly be paying the up charge without issue if there's a drink of like to try... And just to point out we are not wealthy we just like to enjoy our holidays without restrictions as we both work very hard to be able to afford our cruises..

To be honest I don't see what all the fuss it about... You don't want to pay it don't have it... You don't want to become one of the so called 99% then pick another line... I'm sure there's plenty of others waiting to fill you're space on the ship! [emoji23]

I'm a bit confused here - Am I one of the "so-called 99% "??

Perhaps I should be insulted !:eek:

Are you implying I'm not suited to cruise on Celebrity because I question the degredation of the Premium Beverage Package ? Gee, I like Celebrity , now I have to worry about becoming one of the 99% and that someone is about to fill my space on the ship because I have restrictions on my spending - despite being wealthy !:(

Calm down everyone.

This isn't personal.

I'm upset that the nickel and diming (or I guess I better call it dollar and $5ing now) has reached almost insulting levels on Celebrity.

The same week that the beverage packages went up $10/pp/day (+18%) they introduce a new bar where the drinks are now an additional $2 to THAT. :(

It's not a matter of "Can you afford it" or

"Can't you afford it".

It's just a feeling of being taken advantage of and that has nothing to do with social status.

I'm not going to list all of the fees that have gone up this year but we all know them .

These are not "splurge" vacations for us!

When we have the bev pkg and upgrade, you are right that "I am on a vacation" but total different scenario if we don't and hopefully that will never happen lol. I have cruised for years without a bev pkg and am hoping never to cruise without one again.

My point is - pick what is important to you and then determine if it is worth it. It is not the price but the value as these things vary between people.

Chrisine, thought you had talked to the wifester, and we're describing us!

For 20 years we paid by the drink, and we're very very conservative with our choices. We have to save and make monthly payments to afford it.

( Yes, we also took a rum runner or 2 to soften the cost, yet still enjoy the cruise )

Our first cruise with a package was on the Freedom in 2011, and was a wine pkg gift from our DD. Before we booked the Reflection in 2013 we called a friend who is also E+ and got the scoop on what these bev pkg's were all about. WOW! We hit the jack pot! For $12 a day, plus a bit more based on how un-conservative :D I was, we could use our savings to do more snorkeling or such.

So for us too, it is added value.

EW

Edited by wallie5446