MSC Magnifica picture heavy fun review -- 12 days British Isles incl. DIY port trips

Kreuzfahrtneuling

I'm not describing you and your many photos ;) Was it always obvious when there were nuts in a dish. My husband has a peanut allergy, and on our P&O cruise there was a 'N' symbol by a dish containing nuts. On the menus you show, I only see the 'V' for vegetarian. Were nuts always listed in the description of a dish (even if just used as a decoration)?

I realise you may not be able to answer this if you're not watching out for nuts like we do, but maybe someone else reading this will know.

Many thanks

Angela

Hi Angela,

Sorry, I never saw a remark about nuts...but you're right -- I didn't really pay attention to it either....might have missed it. Sorry!

Stef

Great pictures as usual Stef--really helpful.

Off in the morning to Southampton where we will stay overnight and board the Magnifica on wednesday.........YAY :):):).

Will catch up with your blog when I return.

Cheers.

Di

To anyone on the 8th oct sailing --have a good one :):).

Hi Di,

Have a wonderful cruise! We'll be here when you return! Safe travels!

Stef

Riesengarnelen-Cocktail

15456928935_c390e31bc5_b.jpg

Stef 6 points

Auberginen-Röllchen nach mediterraner Art

15433843906_2896192408_b.jpg

Tarik 9 points

Stef 9 points

Ravioli di Magro

15270348337_7eff731e7f_b.jpg

Tarik 6 points

Goldbrassenfilet in Zitronensauce

15456572132_77ebc9f3f3_b.jpg

Stef 8 points (the sauce was fantastic)

Ausgefächertes Rinderfilet in Steinpilzsauce

15456940035_5f0837d2de_b.jpg

Tanja 8 points (good, tender meat)

Lammkeule mit Gewürzkräutern

15270340957_8458228a6a_b.jpg

Tablemates

to be continued...

Panna Cotta

15456987415_c97d54dbef_b.jpg

Tarik 7 points (berries too sour)

Käseplatte

15270416047_7e25e7bfa4_b.jpg

Tanja 8 points ( the goat cheese was excellent)

Gedünstete Birne in Rotwein

15270332598_4fb54f98d5_b.jpg

Stef 4 points (tasteless)

Out first formal dinner was delightful. Almost everybody dressed up to a certain degree and we once again enjoyed a delightful time with our wonderful tablemates. I think we're completely spoiled after this cruise....I never thought good tablemates would make SUCH a big difference. Thanks guys! We love you!

Stay tuned!

Stef

After dinner we headed to the theatre for the first show onboard.

15453892561_291704dd42_b.jpg

Whohoo…let it start.

First of all our cruise director Claudia (sigh, a fellow German) came on the stage.

15433945826_203e178123_b.jpg

This is pretty much the only situation we saw her in all cruise long…she would come on the stage and announce the show…in 5 languages…perfectly fluent…She did that well…and she knew it. That’s all the positive I can find…We didn’t like her. Others might feel differently. To us she seemed a little arrogant (yet smart) and from a cruise director I expect a little more than the knowledge of foreign languages. I expect him or her to show at least a little interest in communicating with the passengers, a slight touch of friendliness and maybe a little humor…all that needs to be improved here. I’m sure it’s hard to find somebody who speaks 5 fluent languages…but still…I’d rather have had someone talking with his hands and feet because he/she doesn’t know all the words rather than a perfectly fluent ice statue. Maybe she was like that afterall and we just didn't see it...or maybe she'll read this review and is shocked about what a cold impression she made on a lot of passengers....maybe she doesn't know...so this would be a way to tell her that there's stuff to improve on for the future. Konstruktive Kritik, you know? Rant over.

Before the actual show all the officers and the captain were introduced:

15457028225_9370f267d6_b.jpg

But let’s continue with the actual show.

Stay tuned!

Stef

I love seeing the menus in German! I had read here on CC that the menu descriptions don't always match what the actual food is, and someone had recommended also looking at the descriptions in other languages. If I couldn't decide between two items as described in English, I would check the German descriptions to see which sounded better (even though my German is not very good). :) I liked nearly everything I ate, so it worked pretty well.

I'm loving all the food pictures...except that now I'm hungry! :rolleyes:

Our very first MSC show

"Ike"

Apparently that’s a well known Irish myth about a child being rescued and brought up by wolfs…sounds like the jungle book so far, doesn’t it?

Well, I’ve tried to look up this story on the net without any success…Irishcath—can you help me out here?

It starts with a wolf finding a baby

15270410317_ff3e9ff241_b.jpg

bringing it home

15270212969_32a9d638cd_b.jpg

and this is where they lost me…What’s this?

15270441627_b98d41f39b_b.jpg

??? A giant pheasant? A celtic warrior princess? The hair do sure looked heavy. In between the ever getting more confusing story line they had acrobatics.

15457025475_db92c38b82_b.jpg

I didn’t understand what those two parts of the show had to do with one another, but I must say I enjoyed them both. The most breathtaking part were these guys in the dorky star costumes…

15453848751_6426fd43fa_b.jpg

Man - Tarik and I held our breath as one of their stunts didn’t work out and one of the men crashed to the floor…thank God he didn’t get seriously hurt…but their stunts were spectacular! We loved every second!

Lol – well Tarik’s and my eyes were glued to the stage anyway…

15453856581_5d6b99625f_b.jpg

Tanja was pooped after a long day of basically exploring, relaxing, drinking cocktails and enjoying our vacation. While Tarik and I absolutely loved this first show, Tanja was happy about her little refreshing nap…so all were happy! Life was good!

I really would like to know how that legend goes…Any Irish people around who could help me? I have no clue about some of the costumes…an elk? The sun? Christmas elves??? I’m so confused!

Anyway—that’s the end of day two. The next day we would tender into South Queensferry, Scotland and we were soooo excited! Whoohoo, first port adventure coming up!

Stay tuned!

Stef

I love seeing the menus in German! I had read here on CC that the menu descriptions don't always match what the actual food is, and someone had recommended also looking at the descriptions in other languages. If I couldn't decide between two items as described in English, I would check the German descriptions to see which sounded better (even though my German is not very good). :) I liked nearly everything I ate, so it worked pretty well.

I'm loving all the food pictures...except that now I'm hungry! :rolleyes:

Yes, definately check the other languages. I started doing this to try to understand the unfathomable descriptions. However, the biggest disappointments I have witnessed at the table is when the menu description is understood, recognised and interpreted accordingly but what arrives is something totally different. I will eat practically anything (I only draw a line at things which are still alive and moving on my plate) so it not a concern - it is more pre-meal entertainment to me. Some people, however, are much more fussy or have specific dietary restrictions so I understand their concern and the reactions posted on CC.

I think part of the issue is that the menu translations were originally poor then the dish evolves without a corresponding update of the translation.

As I have said elsewhere, MSC have their own language. It is helpful to have the printed menu available during the meal in order to learn it from actual experience.

I don't seek to criticise MSC food at all. Merely, I would say leave preconceptions behind and try anything and everything regardless of description. I would actually rather not make a choice at all and just have a 'set menu' except I would risk having what nobody else wants.

Yes, definately check the other languages. I started doing this to try to understand the unfathomable descriptions. However, the biggest disappointments I have witnessed at the table is when the menu description is understood, recognised and interpreted accordingly but what arrives is something totally different. I will eat practically anything (I only draw a line at things which are still alive and moving on my plate) so it not a concern - it is more pre-meal entertainment to me. Some people, however, are much more fussy or have specific dietary restrictions so I understand their concern and the reactions posted on CC.

I think part of the issue is that the menu translations were originally poor then the dish evolves without a corresponding update of the translation.

As I have said elsewhere, MSC have their own language. It is helpful to have the printed menu available during the meal in order to learn it from actual experience.

I don't seek to criticise MSC food at all. Merely, I would say leave preconceptions behind and try anything and everything regardless of description. I would actually rather not make a choice at all and just have a 'set menu' except I would risk having what nobody else wants.

Hi Tim,

:)I guess we were lucky, had a well organized waiter or they updated the menus shortly before our cruise?... but we always got exactly what we ordered. But I agree, that some of the translations are a little....peculiar:D. I have a pretty funny German one later in the review that cracked me up.

Stef

Cocktails of day three

Magic Island (non alcoholic)

15290197909_3da546a8d2_b.jpg

Tarik 7 points

Blue Paradise

15290378230_f8314d666c_b.jpg

Stef 8 points (fresh taste and heck I just love the color!)

Pastis

15290431798_280c9e3136_b.jpg

Tanja usually likes to drink Ouzo, but she said this was the better choice of the two on this ship.

Purple rain

15290484057_9115fb5a12_b.jpg

Tanja minus 1 point (horribly sour…undrinkable)

that drink doesn't look purple at all...I hope I didn't put a wrong pic up for the purple rain...it get's a little confusing after a couple of days and a couple of cocktails:D

Stay tuned!

Stef

South Queensferry – Scotland!!!!

And finally we start. First of all before I tell you about our own adventures, I’ll show you the “official” MSC excursions available for that port…then you can judge for yourselves afterwards, if it would be worth to try a DIY like we did, or if you’d rather do a ship excursion afterall. Lol, of course I’ll try to talk you into trying the DIY:D.

Then I’ll show you a map with the sites we planned to visit that day…the yellow lines would be our path of walking (or driving for the ports we had a rental car). Certain highlights are marked with a star or an arrow, showing the actual location.

Then I’ll tell you about how to get there, like train, walking, bus etc.

And after allll that prelude we’ll finally get to enjoy the single highlights…be my guest and come along as we’re about to explore Scotland for the very first time.

In some of the places, photos weren’t allowed (or would have cost extra)… for those occasions I’ll use commonly available pictures already online…I’ll mark these pictures in red letters saying “foreign picture”… I’ll try to choose those, who we would have shot, if we would have had the opportunity…so I hope that works for everybody.

Here are the MSC excursions for our South Queensferry stop:

15473925491_aca0e02c32_b.jpg

15477066265_2bfedeff6c_b.jpg

15290423848_4305d6c5a1_b.jpg

15477073125_50828dd94b_b.jpg

and here are
our
plans for that day: We want to take the train to Edinburgh Waverly and explore the sites on the map below.

15292408610_79243c227d_b.jpg

Stay tuned!

Stef

that drink doesn't look purple at all...I hope I didn't put a wrong pic up for the purple rain...it get's a little confusing after a couple of days and a couple of cocktails:D

It doesn't look like what I remember the purple rain looking like... That was my 28 year old son's favourite drink a couple of years ago on the Splendida - It wasn't my cup of tea as I don't remember ordering it twice ;-0

Edited by oreosmile

Oh stef you have me stumped! I have no idea of an Irish myth about a wolf and a baby and i've just called on Ger's extensive literary knowledge and he has absolutely no recollection of ever hearing/ reading about this either! But don't panic just yet as we will both certainly ask around - hopefully someone will know about this baby stealing dog!!

I am loving your review so much. And I am beyond excited to read about what you did in all of the ports.

Keep up the very good work:D

Oh stef you have me stumped! I have no idea of an Irish myth about a wolf and a baby and i've just called on Ger's extensive literary knowledge and he has absolutely no recollection of ever hearing/ reading about this either! But don't panic just yet as we will both certainly ask around - hopefully someone will know about this baby stealing dog!!

I am loving your review so much. And I am beyond excited to read about what you did in all of the ports.

Keep up the very good work:D

It looks kind of Native American to me, with the animals having personalities and the TeePee on the stage....I don't know what is up with the star outfits or the acrobats (?)

Perhaps the Italians still think everyone outside the country are barbarians, and the Irish and the Indians are pretty much the same.

It looks kind of Native American to me, with the animals having personalities and the TeePee on the stage....I don't know what is up with the star outfits or the acrobats (?)

Perhaps the Italians still think everyone outside the country are barbarians, and the Irish and the Indians are pretty much the same.

OK, I'm just following this review for the sheer entertainment value alone. This comment made my day! It cracked me up so much my office mates wanted to know what was so funny! There just wasn't anyway to explain....... :)

Thanks for brightening my day!

RenoDuck

I'm still here, too, Stef! Just in awe of the whole review - the ship, the itinerary, completely foreign to me, so I'm just taking it all in. Love it. Can't wait to hear your adventures on land. (And I'm with Tanja, those theater seats are so comfy sometimes...)

I wouldn't be surprised if the entertainment department made the whole thing up. :rolleyes:

It could be based on the story of the birth and infancy of Cormac mac Airt, one of the High Kings of Ireland. You can read the full story at the link below, but in short baby Cormac is taken shortly after birth by a wolf, who raises him amongst her cubs. Eventually a hunter/warrior (maybe the person with the big headdress?) finds him and he is restored to his family.

http://www.luminarium.org/mythology/ireland/cormacbirth.htm

The name Ike has me at a loss, but perhaps it comes from Cormac's mother's name, Achta, or the hunter's name, Grec? Or I guess even from Cormac if you really pushed it. Or maybe the MSC entertainment team are just big fans of South Park, who knows! :D

It could be based on the story of the birth and infancy of Cormac mac Airt, one of the High Kings of Ireland. You can read the full story at the link below, but in short baby Cormac is taken shortly after birth by a wolf, who raises him amongst her cubs. Eventually a hunter/warrior (maybe the person with the big headdress?) finds him and he is restored to his family.

http://www.luminarium.org/mythology/ireland/cormacbirth.htm

The name Ike has me at a loss, but perhaps it comes from Cormac's mother's name, Achta, or the hunter's name, Grec? Or I guess even from Cormac if you really pushed it. Or maybe the MSC entertainment team are just big fans of South Park, who knows! :D

Hi bridgetjonesni,

:DWhoohoo! Mystery solved! I'm sure that's it! Thank you thank you thank you!!! It all fits...the huntress (the pheasant:)), the maids looking for the child (the christmas elves:)) and Luna (the sun:)). The elks are still weird--- but maybe they were supposed to show the huntress at work when she found the child. Thank you so much for helping out! You rock!

Stef

Tendering

South Queensferry is a little town next to the famous Forth Bridge. To get there our cruise ship had to sail into the Firth of Fourth. But once you get close to the bridge, you can’t go any further… so this is a tender port.

That night I woke up … totally dark (duh – inside cabin)…Tanja and Tarik sleeping. I had no clue as to what time it was, but somehow I needed to find out. I silently got up, got dressed and grabbed my cruise card to leave the cabin. The ship was completely deserted. I remembered that they had huge clocks out on deck 7…so let’s head there. It was a very special experience to be the only one up and about.

Out on deck 7 I found out

1. It’s still dark outside

2. It’s about 4 in the morning

3. I can see Scotland! (well, maybe it was still England – Wriggler – I waved …did you feel it? Lol- being 4 in the morning I imagine you slept right through it)

15478887492_36fcd18001_b.jpg

Well, I enjoyed the view and decided to go back to bed to be fit for our long day ahead.

During breakfast we sailed into the Firth of Forth and could finally see Scotland in daylight

15292230349_1b03765673_b.jpg

Wow, look at those mountains in the background! Can one fall in love with a country just by looking at it?

Anyway, Tanja was off to get our tender tickets. They were supposed to be handed out at 7 am at the Topazio bar.

Sigh, we really wanted to get an early as possible time slot, so she headed there at 6:45. It took forever for the staff to get started (a little before 7:30) and queuing was a task not to be practiced by many southern Europeans on board.Tarik and I sat in the Buffet restaurant and waited… and waited…. finally Tanja came to join us with three tender tickets in hand

15292574658_b2ffaf1005_b.jpg

earliest possible… whoohoo…but would we need it and was it worth the hassle of waiting and getting aggravated about the cultural differences of queuing?

Well, we were supposed to sit and wait in the Tiger Bar, since the tendering announcements would only be heard there…

15292505970_dc8e2a3c58_b.jpg

I hate to sit around in a bar very early in the morning with a ton of other people – makes me feel as if I booked a ship excursion…I don’t like it at all. But the tendering started on time and the announcement for tender tickets “A” to proceed to the tender boats resulted in a small stampede.

Nobody wanted to see our “A” tickets… or in fact
any
tickets at all….basically the whole deal was a waste of time (boohhh)…Our tablemates were smarter. They didn’t go get tickets, didn’t wait in any bar, just walked down there and ended up on the very first tender without any wait whatsoever…I think we were on the third or fourth one. Sigh, of course I can’t promise you that MSC will be as slack on every cruise….I’m way too chicken to try to jump on a tender without it… but that’s just me.

Off we go

15479209555_cf1a39b795_b.jpg

15292299599_ba1ea521eb_b.jpg

Stay tuned!

Stef

Edited by Kreuzfahrtneuling

The tender boats pass underneath the Forth bridge…

15292295509_d9eb26b67e_b.jpg

Actually there are two Forth bridges…but when one refers to it, one usually means this older famous red Fourth
railway
bridge. It was constructed in 1883 and took 7 years to be finished. It spans more than 2,5 km! In earlier days there would always be workers repainting the red color…so up to today a neverending task is referred to as “painting the Fourth bridge”. Today with the more modern colors, this has thankfully changed – for the bridge, not for the local saying.

It is a symbol for Scotland and is still an example of sturdiness…unlike it’s newer cousin – the grey Fourth
road
bridge. A suspension bridge built in 1964, which is deteriorated to a point, that there are talks of closing it down!... and THAT bridge was built 81 years
after
the famous railway bridge. Curious.

15478816672_480b6cf886_b.jpg

Here you can see the Fourth railway bridge to the right and the Fourth road bridge to the left….and of course the spot where our tenders parked.

When we disembarked the tenders, we saw our first Scot in Scotland

15292267149_eaff3702a0_b.jpg

Tadahhh.

They also had these two musicians greet the cruise passengers.

15456046646_74e0a8ca40_b.jpg

Here’s a close up:

15475997721_04e059e5ae_b.jpg

This was the very first time I heard bagpipes in real life…sure I had heard them on the media many times before…but live under the Fourth bridge this was quite special! Loved it!

Also there were nice local volunteers, who greeted the passengers and helped out with any questions that might arise.

I was eager to find one of them called Tartanexile on cruise critic, since this person helped so much with writing up foolproof pictorial walking directions to the local train station…I’ll give you the link in the next post. Anyway…I knew they would have purple jackets on…mmhhh…so many purple jackets here. I just took a wild guess and asked one man….Hello, excuse me, are you Tartanexile? He looked at me funny and said no, but my wife is, so he brought me to her and I was able to shake her hand in gratitude for all her helpful comments. I was in the grandest mood now and ready to tackle Edinburgh. So here’s just a tiny "proof I was there" picture and we can go on with the walk to the train station.

15292472638_e1b6f921d9_b.jpg

Stay tuned!

Stef