The Ultimate GETAWAY Review, Written by a Teen | Food Pics, Ship Tour, Etc. (8/23-30)

hscruiser

Nicer view. Question: did you do any teen activities or hang out with other teens on the cruise at all? I didn't see any mention and I am very curious how the teen program is on this ship.

I didn't participate in Entourage. I did meet a few people during the week, although it seemed like our sailing had very few kids/teens overall...a lot of schools were already in session, I guess.

From what I understand, NCL's kid/teen programs generally tend to be very good if your kids are interested in that. :)

Hello

Cruising on the getaway on November 29th just wondering what time must we be off the ship on Saturday the 6th?? Our flight back to ireland is not until 8 o clock that night??

If I remember correctly, the last available luggage tag was for 9:30, and because they were running ahead of schedule, that group was asked to disembark around 9:10. They tend to try to disembark everyone as early as possible. If your flight is that late, you might consider looking at the NCL excursions for Miami that'll help use the day in a more enjoyable way than just sitting in the airport.

Thank you for your detailed review. One of the best reviews I've read on Cruise Critic in recent memory.

Could you comment more on the selections in the Garden Buffet? Types of fruit, salad dressing, meats, veggies, etc?

For breakfast, there was always cut-up fruit (mostly melons) as well as whole fruit (apples, oranges, bananas, etc.). Whole fruit was also available during the rest of the day.

For lunch, in terms of the cold items, there were five or six types of dressing usually (the standard selection - Italian, Ranch, etc.), chopped lettuce, and various salad toppings. The salad bar wasn't too extensive, but it seemed to cover the basics well. There were a few types of cold cuts, as well as several pre-made sandwiches. There were also a few cold deli salads (various pasta/potato salads, etc.). To go with this were both potato and tortilla chips, a couple different soups each day, and then the extensive hot food selection. You could easily go the whole week enjoying just the salad and sandwich selections if that's what you're looking for.

Edited by hscruiser

Fantastic review! I cruised on The Getaway in July with my 11 year old granddaughter and we loved it, I have been on 47 cruises and this was one of my favorites. I hope to go back next summer with my 16 year old granddaughter who also loves to cruise, she has cruised 24 times and is studying hospitality/tourism. She is considering becoming a cruise director so I think she would also love The Getaway!

Thanks for your review! You have a clear and concise writing style that is still incredibly descriptive. Very impressive!

Will be on Getaway in a month and your review has made me even more excited and eager for our vacation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Fantastic review!! Thank you for all the time and effort you put into it :)

One of my favorite parts was your description of the cab ride to Magens Bay "heart-pumping 20 minutes of near death experiences".

I have been there!! We used an open air taxi to Sapphire Beach and it was a death defying experience!! We made sure to take an enclosed taxi back to the port. Wow!!

What a fantastic review! And you are a phenomenal writer with a superb website! :) I'm taking my two kids (ages 14 and 22) on the Getaway next Summer as a college graduation gift for my daughter, so we truly can't wait! Thanks for taking the time to showcase the Getaway in such a positive way.

I'm thrilled to be able to share my recent experience on Norwegian Getaway's 8/23 - 8/30 cruise. This is a full photo review, but I've done it a little differently: the review is posted day-by-day on a website I created in the interest of organization and readability. If you have any questions or just want to comment or discuss something, go ahead and post back on this thread.

This was a labor of love, and I certainly hope you enjoy it!

http://norwegiangetaway.weebly.com/

Again, I'd appreciate to hear any question or comments you may have! :)

Great job!

This is by far the best organized review that I have seen on Cruise Critic.

Your choice of a separate website is quite innovative, and I am fairly certain that your method of presentation will soon be copied by many others. (Imitation really is the sincerest form of flattery.)

I especially liked the way you showed the thumbnails, allowing the reader to select the pictures they were interested in viewing, rather than streaming all the pictures.

You have shown quite a bit of talent as a teenager! Good Luck with whatever field of occupation you choose to pursue. I'm sure that you will do very well.

We have the same type of room, the pull down upper bed and the sofa that can be slept on.

Does the sofa stay the same size and the bedding added to it? Leaving the floor space to walk?

Thanks

Yes. It's just the sofa itself with bedding on top. It is very, very firm, so just be aware of that. (I didn't mind.)