Alcohol use/abuse and celebrity drinks packages

phoebecat

We didn't notice any issues at all with behaviour last time we were on the beautiful Eclipse, but the one significant difference was the difficulty we experienced, practically at all times, in getting a seat in Cafe al Bacio. Prior to the free packages offered we had bought the premium non-alcoholic package as we drink very little but loved the speciality coffees and teas, and San Pellegrino with our meals (boy, do we live an exciting life - not!) - as we cruise in the Mediterranean towards the end of the season (end September) I suspect hot drinks are more attractive than they would be on a Caribbean cruise, which may be the reason that cafe al Bacio changed from the quiet oasis of previous cruises to a constantly buzzing venue last year - didn't spoil our enjoyment at all; just an observation. I do hope that X made the same observation and put more staff on though, as the poor team were constantly struggling to keep up last time.

We have not noticed any issues with behavior on board Celebrity with regard to the drink package. Most passengers, regardless of age, seem to carry themselves quite well when drinking.

We love the drink package and would purchase it even if not offered. We most likely break even but the biggest advantage we find is that we do not need to concern ourselves with the bill (whether it is worrying about how much we've rang up or worrying about signing every time we order a drink).

I think with other lines you see a larger problem due to the personality of people that travel. I like to compare some all-inclusive resorts and certain cruises like with going to a bar on St. Patrick's Day (which is huge here in Chicago). You see a bunch of drunks at Noon, stumbling, throwing up, etc. They're amateur drinkers. Don't know what they're doing. ;)

Excuse me while I pour myself a martini

Cheers & Happy Cruising!

There are NCAAF games on Friday night! You could have had a few while you watched my beloved BC Eagles get pantsed by Pitt. If I wasn't already drinking I'd want to have a few...

Sent from my ADR6300 using Forums mobile app

It wasn't very long after posting that our power went out. It came back on around 8:00p on Sat. Could have been worse, there were 375,000 without power and now it is down to 312,000. Went out for breakfast and most restaurants were crowded. The line at Starbucks was unbelieveable. Many traffic lights weren't working so they became 4 way stops. Stupid drivers were even treating normal flashing yellow as 4 way stops.

Any sports bar was jammed packed.

Called a friend to fnd if his power was on to watch the night games. He wasn't home but said that he would be back in a hour. As we were ready to leave our power came on. Called him and he said that toe minutes earlier he lost his.

Love this year as every day is a adventure with the weather. I think Thursday was our hottest day of the year.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

I've noticed passengers on cruises who are more concerned about other people behaving "properly" than focusing on relaxing and releasing stress from their everyday lives. They are the people who enjoy being the fashion police and sobriety police more than having fun and being on vacation.

I have seen this on the boards too, it is vexing. While I am perplexed, I completely tune it off during a cruise.

We have not noticed any issues with behavior on board Celebrity with regard to the drink package. Most passengers, regardless of age, seem to carry themselves quite well when drinking.

We love the drink package and would purchase it even if not offered. We most likely break even but the biggest advantage we find is that we do not need to concern ourselves with the bill (whether it is worrying about how much we've rang up or worrying about signing every time we order a drink).

I think with other lines you see a larger problem due to the personality of people that travel. I like to compare some all-inclusive resorts and certain cruises like with going to a bar on St. Patrick's Day (which is huge here in Chicago). You see a bunch of drunks at Noon, stumbling, throwing up, etc. They're amateur drinkers. Don't know what they're doing. ;)

Excuse me while I pour myself a martini

Cheers & Happy Cruising!

I agree. You have people who can pace themselves, know their limits, and then you have the people who well....let's face it, would be stumbling drunk whether they were on a ship or not with beverage package or not. I like a drink. I like to drink. But I do not like to be drunk. Nor do I drink to get drunk. Life is too short to worry about the poor guy who is stumbling around and slurring. Pray he doesn't fall overboard, and be thankful he's not driving ;)

I've noticed passengers on cruises who are more concerned about other people behaving "properly" than focusing on relaxing and releasing stress from their everyday lives. They are the people who enjoy being the fashion police and sobriety police more than having fun and being on vacation.

Amen. I will enjoy myself and have fun regardless of others.

Those that worry about others have nothing better to do. AND, I'll be the one with a Bloody Mary with breakfast and a beer next to the pool at 9 AM on the Equinox starting on 12/1.

Join us for the fun (or sit on the sidelines and keep score:rolleyes:).

Amen. I will enjoy myself and have fun regardless of others.

Those that worry about others have nothing better to do. AND, I'll be the one with a Bloody Mary with breakfast and a beer next to the pool at 9 AM on the Equinox starting on 12/1.

Join us for the fun (or sit on the sidelines and keep score:rolleyes:).

It is always 5 o'clock somewhere.

I worked midnights for a few years. We would get out of work and depending upon what kind of night we had we would stop for a drink at 8:30 A. For us it was no different than those stopping after work at 5 P.

We would go to Vegas and the bars would have customers 24/7. For some 6 A would still be their night as they haven't been to bed from the previous night, or also just getting off from work.

If they weren't expecting customers they wouldn't be open or serving.

Drink up 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Just finished the diverted Bermuda Cruise (Port Canaveral/Nassau) on Celebrity Summit. I had the Classic Beverage Package. I would challenge anyone to get drunk on this ship. Specfically by the pool as the service is so slow I could have swam back to New Jersey and got a beer faster. The bar service was pathetic for the most part.

We were on the Solstice in May-Alaska itinerary-and our service was very, very slow all 7 days. Few barenders, slow bartenders and serving staff just chatting with drinks on their trays before serving. Very annoying as the bars weren't even crowded. Our Europe itinerary the year before had a totally different bar experience...great service, friendly and quick. Both cruises we had the beverage perk and never noticed drunks anywhere.

Edited by floralscent

It is always 5 o'clock somewhere.

I worked midnights for a few years. We would get out of work and depending upon what kind of night we had we would stop for a drink at 8:30 A. For us it was no different than those stopping after work at 5 P.

We would go to Vegas and the bars would have customers 24/7. For some 6 A would still be their night as they haven't been to bed from the previous night, or also just getting off from work.

If they weren't expecting customers they wouldn't be open or serving.

Drink up 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

I hear ya. Those that don't know, haven't been there. Let them keep the scorecard :)

Preach!

Just back from the 8/31 Summit sailing to Bermuda. I really didn't notice too many, if any, people who had had a few too mAny or were drinking to excess. We had the basic package we got as a perk and upgraded to the premium. I know I myself had a few more drinks than I would have if I was paying for each one, including the fancy coffee, etc.

But it was nice to just show your card, esp at dinner, and when your wine glass was empty, they simply filled it again. But I know my limits and while I may not have been totally sober on any given night, I was not obnoxious or anything of that nature. I would stop when I knew I'd had enough.

I have had the drinks package on my last two cruises and found I did drink a bit more than usual but only fell over once!

The one night I really tied one on was the night I won over $1000 playing poker so may try it again sometime :-)

While it can be very entertaining for awhile we noticed behaviour on a past Caribbean X cruise which by the end of the 10 days was disgusting

These were 30-50 yr old men and women starting off with beer for breakfast, an able bodied guy racing handicap scooters around the pool deck (mind you he was unlikely able to walk at that point) and women falling down at the bar by 2:00pm.

Have not observed similar behaviour on other itinaries.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Beer for breakfast? That's ridiculous! Everybody knows Vodka is less filling.

I always find it sad when people state that they like to people watch. How boring is their life? If they want to see a real show there is no better performance than watching the cast of characters on a New York City subway. However, it would probably be beneath them to travel through the bowels of the MTA.

Edited by Iamcruzin

Beer is made by the monks for a reason. They considered it to be liquid bread; grain, yeast and water. So it must be lot healthier than having a coke for breakfast. :D

I had kidney stones and it was recommended by my doctor to drink 2 beers a day to help keep my kidneys flushed. I asked him for a prescription for the cases of beer to have the insurance pay for it, he laughed and aid it was not on the list of covered items. Sometimes I have a few extra in case I lost count and want to error on the safe side. Haven't had any kidney stones for over 30 years.

Drink up 🍺🍻

Purely a question of observed behaviours ....

Lots of boozing? Or restrained drinking?

Bad behaviour or generally the usual refined and civilised ambience?

QUOTE]

We were on the most recent New Year's cruise aboard the Eclipse. Both of us had the premium alcoholic beverage package. I can assure you with utter certainty that it was all civilized ambiance in the mornings. For some reason I cannot recall anything about the afternoons so your guess is as good as mine.

:p:D:p

We were on the same cruise.:cool:

I bought the premium package (no freebies for the Brits:mad:) as I had previously. We met up with some great people from Canada, one of which had paid the small update from classic to premium as , although he didnt drink much alocohol he really enjoyed some of the top soft drinks in particular San Pellegrino. I didnt see any anti-social behaviour fuelled by alcohol.

I did witness , on New Years eve the most disgusting anti-semetic rant from a couple about a group of people standing next to us. It took all my patience (probably helped by a few drinks) not to throw them overboard or really let them have a piece of my mind. Later in the cruise saw them in the 'elite lounge' and overheard them complaining about the 'type of people who cruise nowadays'. Noticed they always were drinking orange juice. Perhaps its the soft drinks that should be banned :eek:

Edited by gcgold
typo