Ever Done this?

Heyya -

I have just a question that I'd like for you seasoned and more recent cruisers to answer. Have you ever done the "King/Queen of the Ocean" like from Titantic movie with DiCaprio? (correct terminology??) (For those of you who don't know...you stand at the most forwardest tip of the ship and stand on a pedestal and put your arms up and imagine you're flying over the ocean)

What was your experience/feeling if you have done it? I know it may sound silly, but you never know, there may be some folks out there who don't give a hoot about what others think and enjoy life to the fullest!! I know I will!!

:D:D:D

Cool Cruzer;I'll bet you've never been on a cruise, yet. :cool:

I remember when I saw that movie (when it first came out) and that scene came on. I said to myself "No way that could happen". Anybody who has ever been on a ship doing 22 to 25 knots, knows you can barely stand up walking against the wind. And as you get closer to the bow, the wind will knock you down or at least push you back.

Now, if the ship was going west and the wind was blowing west (coming from the east) then maybe that could happen, but every ship I have been on won't let anyone up that close to the bow pulpit. (the very tip)

Hope this helps.

Yep, you can do it on the Voyager class ships. You are not standing over the bow, but right up front. You won't be the only one doing that, nor the first. Plus, it is kinda melodramatic, it being on the helipad and all...

I love to get out on the front of the ship where the helicopters land. The wind is really strong and that is where I do my "I'm the queen of the world" bit. It is a great rush. When the wind is too strong, they won't let you out there. I don't think you can go after dark either.

Last cruise (Brilliance of the Seas to Panama) I was doing an early morning walk on the top deck. Every lap that I passed in front of the gym, the wind was so strong, it felt like a Leonardio De Caprio moment. I enjoyed opening my hoodie and letting the wind blow it out like a sail. A couple times, though, I really thought I'd lift right off the deck. Even though I am 62, I guess I still act just like a kid!:o

I don't think you can go after dark either.

When I was on Explorer, access to the helipad was allowed after dark. It was the best place to see the stars at night, since being below and in front of the bridge, the area had to be kept completely dark.

I was told that they close access when the winds across the deck exceed 40 knots. As was mentioned, for example, if you are making 20 knots into a 20 knot headwind, that'll do it. It's possible to have that without going directly into the wind of course, it becomes a vector math problem... :D

Theron

When I was on Explorer, access to the helipad was allowed after dark. It was the best place to see the stars at night, since being below and in front of the bridge, the area had to be kept completely dark.

I was told that they close access when the winds across the deck exceed 40 knots. As was mentioned, for example, if you are making 20 knots into a 20 knot headwind, that'll do it. It's possible to have that without going directly into the wind of course, it becomes a vector math problem... :D

Theron

Just out of curiosity, TPKeller, are you into math, physics, and or meteorology? You're comment caught my eye as I am a senior graduating in a year with a degree in mathematics and minor in physics.

I set sail tomorrow on my first cruise (a week before my senior year at college) and was reading around this website...always hoping to run into a fellow math/physics enthusiasts.

Just out of curiosity, TPKeller, are you into math, physics, and or meteorology? You're comment caught my eye as I am a senior graduating in a year with a degree in mathematics and minor in physics.

I set sail tomorrow on my first cruise (a week before my senior year at college) and was reading around this website...always hoping to run into a fellow math/physics enthusiasts.

Hi Danny,

Well... my degree is in Computer Science, actually, but there were plenty of math and physics classes along with that. I considered adding a physics major, but I was afraid of one of the required classes, in which the professor gave only one test at the end of the semester, which was your grade... your whole grade...

I do toss in a bit of math and physics around here on these boards from time to time. Sometimes this is needed to keep reality in focus... :) Oh, and yeah, the weather thing.. just a hobby... I live close enough to the ocean to have an interest in watching the tropics, and since it appears I am too cheap to sail at any other time of year besides hurricane season, I watch out for that reason too!

Have a great cruise, good luck with your final year!

Theron

We thought about doing it but were on a real windy cruise (every day gusting) and I decided against it after taking a walk on Deck 11 and having a gust of wind blow my top over my head (of course, right in front of the exercise room!):eek:

So I thought that was enough thrills for one cruise....maybe on the next one though!

Cheers,

Not to be negative, but that is sooooo played! Evertime I've been on a cruise I could count about at least 50 people do that. But it is pretty funny, since they think they're the first to do that since the movie came out. I do like going up there though, it is very refreshing and peaceful. Just don't be "that guy" who has to quote the movie.

Archived