Fellow cruisers?

GE Mom

We're considering a western caribbean cruise in mid February 2015 and are wondering if HAL cruisers are really as elderly as some reviews indicate? We're early 60s and like a well mannered, refined population of fellow cruisers, but one that is still ambulatory. Is that what we're likely to find on HAL? Thanks.

We're considering a western caribbean cruise in mid February 2015 and are wondering if HAL cruisers are really as elderly as some reviews indicate? We're early 60s and like a well mannered, refined population of fellow cruisers, but one that is still ambulatory. Is that what we're likely to find on HAL? Thanks.

Let me put it this way. I'm early 70's and start each day with a 5-mile walk on the lower promenade deck. Does that help? I think you are describing the majority of HAL cruisers to a T.

Roy

We started cruising on HAL when I was in my 30's and have never had an 'age issue' with fellow travelers. Do admit that once on a 28-day cruise I was part of the 19% that were less than 60 years old. As with any cruise line, the longer the cruise, the older the cruisers. Now that we are retired (and 63 and 66), we can take the longer cruises and we are not the oldest nor the youngest passengers. I do have to say, we have met some awesome 'older' people who have shared some truly wonderful stories. You may not find the hundreds of small children which is just fine with me as they tend to cruise other lines unless it is spring break.

You should have a great time and fit right in with the other passengers.

We've been cruising with HAL since 2008 when we were 50/60's. The ages vary by destination. Longer voyages seem to have older guests. We've never been inundated with children. Frankly, I don't let it bother me how young/old you are. I find some of the older cruisers very interesting to talk with about their travel/life experiences. I've cruised with my mother-in-law who is now 92. We have a lovely time. If you cruise during school breaks, holidays, you might find younger families.

Get involved in CC for your Roll Call and you will encounter folks with similar interests before you cruise.

We're HAL cruisers and are both under 60. Our last couple of cruises have been on other lines and I wouldn't say the age demographic was any different from HAL despite what people say. It depends on length of cruise and time of year travelling but there are definitely no more scooters and less mobile passengers than the other lines. I'm sure you'll be fine on HAL.

What wrong with elderly people, we all were young once and hopefully with the grace of god we will continue to get older.

I take my hats off to those that travel using assistance to do so, I don't know if I have that kind of gravitas to keep on cruising.

As others have said on longer cruises you will find a more mature crowd, but I think if your just taking a 7/14 day Caribbean cruise you find a very mixed crowd.

If you go to the Carib. in Feb during spring break you will find lots of younger people with children..

how old am I? does it matter? age is in the mind and your mind set.

We take heavy duty tours (plus until I broke my wrist I walk about 250 + pounds a day - my dogs) and love it.

I beat all the youngsters up nearly 200 steps, have climbed 35 flights to the top of a cathedral (unknowingly - you can colour me stupid for that one)

and we have a great time.

I think you will will find a lot of young minded people on the cruises. some will be not so young minded of course, but everyone adds something to the journey with experiences, adventures, etc.

have a great time:D

Until a couple of years ago -- we both were physical enough to handle a lot of walking -- up and down stairs -- no tour was too tough for us.

But now people see me with a walker/rollator -- but I still think of myself as young at heart.

DH still uses the treadmill and lifts weights like he does at home at the gym he belongs to -- 5 days a week.

Our children and their spouses (ranging in ages from early 30's to early 50's) prefer HAL to other cruise lines. They've experienced Carnival, Princess and Royal Caribbean, but when we're discussing itineraries, there's always a groan if we state a preference for another line's offerings.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Thanks to all who replied! I certainly didn't want to stereotype older people -- I agree, they can be fascinating to talk with. And -- the reason we're looking at HAL is because we want to get away from the hoardes of kids and partiers we've found on other lines. So thanks for your patience and for not flaming me!