May cruise to Norway - what type of jacket

Harley57

We are on the May 9, 2015 sailing of Celebrity Eclipse to Bergen, Alesund, Geiranger and Stavanger.

Any recommendations on the type of outerwear that I should bring both for in port and being on deck during sail in / sail out? I know layers are always a good idea and do not anticipate spending a lot of time on deck, but would like to enjoy our balcony while sailing into port. How heavy of a jacket will I need (based on average weather at that time)?

Thanks for your input.

I wore a Craghoppers relatively lightweight waterproof and windproof jacket with hood which folds away and found that ideal. If it was cold, I had a couple of warm layers underneath.

We went early May and the weather changed dramatically from hot and sunny to cold and damp and to very wet.

Layers are definitely the best strategy, but I think the outerwear does not need to be heavy, but does need to be able to protect you from the elements when you want to be outside in the weather be it on your balcony or up on deck as you sail into the fjords or out on shore.

Hi Harley57-

We are on this cruise too (Come on over and join the roll call- there are other cruisers from Illinois aboard: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2025636)! Should be a great cruise.

We plan on layering with Gore-Tex rain/wind jackets over polarfleece, if needed. Also bringing hats/headbands, gloves and maybe rainpants and/or longjohns. Last but not least, a pair of waterproof shoes- BOGS for me, Rocky boots for DH. I'm thinking weather conditions similar to Alaska in May.

Really hoping that the Trollstigen road out of Alesund will be open, but it all depends on Norway's winter.

Average weather is no use for this question. As it happens, I'm likely to be watching baseball in Wrigley Field in early May next year - would you be able to tell me what sort of jacket I will need?

Norway in May can be anything from snow to warm sunshine. But some sail-ins are early morning, possibly before the sun has risen over the mountains, so it could well be chilly. Take a warm coat - you can wear it onto the plane so it needn't count for your luggage allowance - and hope you don't need it.

Optimally, I would bring:

- Waterproof windproof outer shell (preferably a breathable waterproof like GoreTex)

- Thick fleece (I like the Columbia Benton Springs full zip or the Outdoor Research Habitat)

- Lightweight fleece

All three of those can be worn alone, depending on the conditions, or you can pair the fleeces with the shell to create two different weights of outerwear.

If you also bring a long-sleeved and a short-sleeved base layer, and a lightweight hat and gloves, you're pretty much covered for anything. (Definitely bring a hat and gloves, since the breeze on the deck can be chilly, and a little bit of covering will make a huge difference.)

Average weather is no use for this question. As it happens, I'm likely to be watching baseball in Wrigley Field in early May next year - would you be able to tell me what sort of jacket I will need?

Norway in May can be anything from snow to warm sunshine. But some sail-ins are early morning, possibly before the sun has risen over the mountains, so it could well be chilly. Take a warm coat - you can wear it onto the plane so it needn't count for your luggage allowance - and hope you don't need it.

Thanks to all for your advice. We will plan on layers.

Dsrdsrdsr: I am sure to enjoy the Norwegian fjords cruise in May far more than sitting in Wrigley Field in May watching our hometown Chicago Cubs struggle to win a game. :)

• 2 weeks later...
We are on the May 9, 2015 sailing of Celebrity Eclipse to Bergen, Alesund, Geiranger and Stavanger.

Harley57: Thanks to all for your advice. We will plan on layers. Dsrdsrdsr: I am sure to enjoy the Norwegian fjords cruise in May far more than sitting in Wrigley Field in May watching our hometown Chicago Cubs struggle to win a game.

Lots to enjoy in Bergen' date=' Alesund and Geiranger. Have not, yet, been to Stavanger. YES, layers is the smart way to go. Below are three quick visual previews for some of the fun and excitement we enjoyed in these areas. [b']KEY TIP[/b] for this time of the year? Have a prime plan, but also a "Plan B" or back-up potential in the event of rain and/or outdoor challenges. Don't miss the great sail-out from Geiranger as you pass the spectacular waterfalls there. Check out more ideas on the live/blog connected below with lots of visuals.

Loved visiting Wrigley Field and its charming neighborhood of Chicago. The Cubs have their on-the-field challenges, but by May they have not, yet, been eliminated officially from championship contentions.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 158,144 views. Nice to be hitting this high of a level for viewership. Appreciate the interest and follow-up questions/comments!!

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

This is the dramatic overview of Alesund from the Aksla vantage point along the western coast of Norway. This spot allows a nearly 360-degree view of this setting for this island city and the surrounding mountains and islands. It is at a 597’ height overlooking the five islands making up the scenic town. The canal or waterway in the middle of the town is called "Brosundet" (or the Bridge sound). That means Ale sund (sloping sound). Or, reflecting that the sound slopes through town. This is how Alesund got its name.:

AlesundHarbor.jpg

Here’s a close look at these historic Bergen Hanseatic merchant warehouse building fronts, people taking pictures, etc. Super loved the charm, character, history and beauty in Bergen.:

BergenCloseHistBldgPixs.jpg

After being tendered from Geiranger, we sailed out and passed by two super famous waterfalls. YES, yes, we saw lots and lots of waterfalls on this trip, but these two were among the “best of the best”. First is the “Seven Sisters”. Directly opposite in this narrow fjord, it is called several names, including “The Suitor”. The majesty for these feats of nature is pretty amazing.:

FjordWaterfallSevenSisters-1.jpg

Lots to enjoy in Bergen, Alesund and Geiranger. Have not, yet, been to Stavanger. YES, layers is the smart way to go. Below are three quick visual previews for some of the fun and excitement we enjoyed in these areas. KEY TIP for this time of the year? Have a prime plan, but also a "Plan B" or back-up potential in the event of rain and/or outdoor challenges. Don't miss the great sail-out from Geiranger as you pass the spectacular waterfalls there. Check out more ideas on the live/blog connected below with lots of visuals.

Loved visiting Wrigley Field and its charming neighborhood of Chicago. The Cubs have their on-the-field challenges, but by May they have not, yet, been eliminated officially from championship contentions.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 158,144 views. Nice to be hitting this high of a level for viewership. Appreciate the interest and follow-up questions/comments!!

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

This is the dramatic overview of Alesund from the Aksla vantage point along the western coast of Norway. This spot allows a nearly 360-degree view of this setting for this island city and the surrounding mountains and islands. It is at a 597’ height overlooking the five islands making up the scenic town. The canal or waterway in the middle of the town is called "Brosundet" (or the Bridge sound). That means Ale sund (sloping sound). Or, reflecting that the sound slopes through town. This is how Alesund got its name.:

AlesundHarbor.jpg

Here’s a close look at these historic Bergen Hanseatic merchant warehouse building fronts, people taking pictures, etc. Super loved the charm, character, history and beauty in Bergen.:

BergenCloseHistBldgPixs.jpg

After being tendered from Geiranger, we sailed out and passed by two super famous waterfalls. YES, yes, we saw lots and lots of waterfalls on this trip, but these two were among the “best of the best”. First is the “Seven Sisters”. Directly opposite in this narrow fjord, it is called several names, including “The Suitor”. The majesty for these feats of nature is pretty amazing.:

FjordWaterfallSevenSisters-1.jpg

Hi Terry

Agreed - Wrigleyville is an awesome neighborhood.

Thanks for including the pictures- they are stunning. It was your pictures of the Baltic that convinced me to take a 11 night Baltic cruise in 2012. Perhaps you should change your cruise critic name to "Enabler" ! :-)

• 4 weeks later...
Hi Terry

Agreed - Wrigleyville is an awesome neighborhood.

Thanks for including the pictures- they are stunning. It was your pictures of the Baltic that convinced me to take a 11 night Baltic cruise in 2012. Perhaps you should change your cruise critic name to "Enabler" ! :-)

I agree with you. I've seen many of Terry's pictures and they are all beautiful. I think it was Terry that influenced our decision to visit the Greek Isles.

Our daughter used to live in Wrigleyville...so glad she is no longer in Chi town....traffic got worse each year.