Booking direct or using a travel agent

b2dhx

I have always used a travel agent but is there an advantage of booking directly with Carnival. I do my homework and try to monitor prices. So I pride myself in being informed. If I call Carnival the rep will be the luck of the draw. I would like a rep that will stay in contact and if there is a deal coming up send me an email or give me a call.

In thoughts.

David

For me, the advantage to booking direct through Carnival is ANY changes I would like to make I can do without having to go through a third party. Why would I want to when I can book direct through Carnival. Also, I usually book Early Saver. So, if I use a TA I would have to call them every time I want to submit a form. Carnival's prices fluctuate so much that if I wanted for a TA to respond to my request to put in a price match, I run the risk of the price no longer being at the sale rate.

Yes, there are TAs who say they are available 24/7 for their customers to contact them... so is Carnival. Also, keep in mind, lots of TAs charge a fee when you need any changes made to your booking. I just don't see any advantage to using a TA when I book my Carnival cruises.

From my experience my TA has to call carnival and it's still the luck of the draw. Unless the ta is offering a lot if perks (which sometimes they do), its not worth the extra $24.99 they charge plus a cancelation fee of $90. Watch the fine print.

I am a TA and I agree with what the PP's have said. My clients want to use me for the convenience and the service that I offer. Not all TA's offer the same services, though. I do not charge to submit price drops and I do try to watch the prices for them as much as I can. I understand that the price drops cost me money, but I am an independent at home agent and my service is all I really have to offer. That price drop may cost me a little, but I hope that it will secure me another future booking with that client. I have also had to spend literally hours on hold with Carnival to cancel one person out of a cabin, change cruises, etc. My clients would have had to spend that time if they booked direct.

Before I was a TA, I used PVP's with Carnival. They truly are the luck of the draw. I was never lucky enough to have one that would contact me with sales or price drops. I have heard that they exist, though.

I think it comes down to personal choice. Some are more comfortable having total control. Of course that means that you are also alone if you have an issue. There is no one fighting for your best interest as a TA should.

I guess I am just trying to say that there are still good TA's out there. Just make sure that you have one of us good ones if you use their service.:)

CruisingSoon88- I agree with you about PVPs and the rarity of finding one who will call their clients with price drops. I do not have a personal PVP, so I wouldn't know about the ones who call their clients either. But, I only hear about them few and far between.

Just to clarify, I use TAs for the perks when I book other cruise lines. I rarely change anything and I don't usually book far out on other lines.

I booked one cruise with a TA. Getting price drops was a PAIN. All I ever heard about them was, "Don't you know this cuts in on my commission?". Well...that was the first and last time I used one. I have a GREAT PVP that I use. He looks out for price drops and submits them for me. He also found me a cabin that I was wanting but was never showing up as available online. Well worth it for me to book through him.

Before I was a TA, I used PVP's with Carnival. They truly are the luck of the draw. I was never lucky enough to have one that would contact me with sales or price drops. I have heard that they exist, though.

TA's are luck of the draw as well. I got stuck with one associated with a family cruise last year. I personally had stopped using one (20+) years ago. The one that arranged our family cruise provided little service. And the biggest problem was making changes. Her standard response was "I'll check," And then she never got back to us.

I'm sure that there are great TA's out there just like there are great PVP's. I happen to be working with a great PVP. In the Valor/Liberty swap, my PVP got me something that everyone said was impossible.

I think it comes down to personal choice. Happy sailing ....

For me, the advantage to booking direct through Carnival is ANY changes I would like to make I can do without having to go through a third party. Why would I want to when I can book direct through Carnival. Also, I usually book Early Saver. So, if I use a TA I would have to call them every time I want to submit a form. Carnival's prices fluctuate so much that if I wanted for a TA to respond to my request to put in a price match, I run the risk of the price no longer being at the sale rate.

Yes, there are TAs who say they are available 24/7 for their customers to contact them... so is Carnival. Also, keep in mind, lots of TAs charge a fee when you need any changes made to your booking. I just don't see any advantage to using a TA when I book my Carnival cruises.

These are my thoughts on this. I've only used a PVP once and feel I can do as well without having to keep calling them for any changes.

I just booked a cruise using a pvp. He would call every time he saw me sign in online to see if I need any help. One time I called him to save him the trouble. We had a great travel agent for a Mexico vacation in June, but she recommended me to a different one that specializes in cruises. When Carnival had a deal I couldn't resist I called her to book it. I had not heard back the next day so I emailed her and left a voicemail. She sent a email back stating she got my message and would call back. At 9:00 the next evening my PVP called letting me know the deal ends at midnight so I booked with him. It was a really good deal and I don't think the price will drop but he said to call him if it doesn't before Dec. 1 and he will see what he can do because I told him I could do the Epic the same day and get one more day for 180 less after airfare and everything. We will see what happens. Lady lost a commission because she was either too busy or too lazy to deal with me.

Sublarry

Thanks for the feedback. I will ad that if I have a problem away from home that using a travel agent could be a good thing. Also, I tell my family if there is an emergency at home call the travel agent.

Sounds like the key, in either case, is if you have a good one, PVP or TA. Unfortunately if it 's the first time you've used them you don't know. I like using a PVP rather than booking online because eventually there is always something I need to ask, and I prefer dealing with the same person. We have a good relationship with our PVP and while she doesn't call with price drops, she does cheerfully check things that I've found online and if we qualify, takes care of it.

Booking Direct with CCL gets you the current retail price,( based on your qualifiers SR, Res , PG , ES , etc.) .

Booking with a good TA should always get you that PLUS OBC, Gift , etc. . Perhaps even a better price due to a Speculative Group they may have.

That in addition the product knowledge and the CCL contacts they have to resolve issues.

Interview your TA before ever booking.

Any fee's ?

Experience?

CLIA Certification?

Any CL Certifications?

7 day phone/email coverage?

Edited by MCC retired

I just cruised using a TA and I'm thinking that might be the last time. I kept reading about price drops and people getting onboard credit. I finally asked her about it and her response to me was 'my price will always be the lowest so you'll never get OBC'. I loved using a TA and she was very helpful for my first time. If I could find a TA that would help me get the price drops, I'd definitely sign up under them. I have no problem 'hiring' a TA that will help me earn more OBC/save money. It helps me and it helps them.

I have always booked my cruises directly with Carnival in the past but this upcoming cruise I booked with my TA. It is frustrating to have to call her every time I have a question that could be answered by a PVP. Carnival will not talk to you about your cruise if you booked thru a TA. In the future, I will probably just book directly thru a PVP

For me it depends on the booking. If it's just DW and I, I usually just book online. If we're going with a group, I prefer to let my PVP do the heavy lifting. He's great at linking all the reservations together, putting us near each other, and handling any changes. I don't do this for a living, and frankly got tired of doing all the leg work for folks who just go along for the ride. I now say here's his number, call him if you're going to book.

We communicate regularly so he knows my vacation plans for the year. And no, he doesn't stalk me as someone mentioned in another thread. I hear from him if there's a sale coming up that I might be interested in and when he checks how the cruise has been for us.

My experience with TAs has been spotty. One failed to upgrade my cabin after I had paid him (inside to a window). Didn't find out until I got to the terminal. This was back when they mailed you your documents. We got them from him very late. It wasn't a lot of money, but it was the principle of the thing and the aggravation. After that we used a local TA for two cruises and she was fine. No perks, or cut rate prices, but at least she was efficient. When we found she didn't know about the military rate, and we did, we decided we could do this ourselves. That's when we met our current PVP and we've used him since then.

We tried a TA associated with my credit card company last year, but it was a royal pain in the nether region to get changes made. I guess I like having more control over my booking and cutting out another layer of contact. That said, we went on a group cruise to Hawaii put together by that giant automobile group and that worked wonderfully. Transportation, hotel, cruise, and private functions all taken care of. I can see the advantages a good TA can bring, especially for new cruisers.

Have used the PVP equivalents on both Princess and Holland America with no real problems.

Jim

Yeah, but the problem is you won't share! Didn't your Momma tell you you gotta share?? :p

I thought you were sailing the high seas?

I wish I could share my PVP here. He is great! While he doesn't call me with price drops he has found me better cabins when I have booked cruises and has gone to bat for me when Carnival declined my price drops.

If it's allowed, email me and I'll gladly share his contact info.

I posted earlier that I've not used a TA in over 10 years. Wanted to add one more comment.

If I were to use a TA, I would want one that is a Carnival (and cruising in general) loyalist. I know of one (new in the field) that posts frequently on here, but cannot say her name. Let's just say it has something to do with the home of a sports team in a windy city.