single cruiser

riviera

Okay, CC experts.... :) Our family is booked on a cruise,(Oct 2015) our son wants to go and will probably have to book a "single supplement" room. If his daughter is able to get away from college and go along, can he add her to the room? How does that work? Never been involved in a "single" room reservation.....thanks everyone.

It used to be very easy to do this, but lately RCI has been "repricing" rooms to the current fare when people are added to a booking. It might be a better option to add her to the booking now and remove her later if she cannot go.

You can just call and make a name change for the 2nd passenger. The one who's name is on the reservation (primary occupant) cannot be changed. I think the change needs to be done about 72 hours in advance...or something like that!

And yes...add the 2nd person to the reservation now....if the ship is full, they may not allow another to be added, even if the cabin technically holds 2 people...lifeboat capacity and all that!

A single only pays 1 tax/fees even though the rest of the fare is doubled. So if you book as if 2 are coming, you'll by 2x the tax/fees. If that person doesn't end up coming, I'm not sure you can get that extra refunded - someone else would need to comment.

Opposite is also true, if you book for 1 then try to add another, you'll also owe the extra tax/fee.

I just did this. My daughter was booked on a cruise with me & couldn't come, still paid the single supplement but not the port charges for the second person.

Have not had experience removing someone after final payment but I don't think it would be an issue.

Mary

I sailed solo on Liberty in April. I was told that I could add a person up until the day before the sailing. I didn't end up doing that, but my understanding was that the pricing would not change other than paying the port fees as someone else already stated.

I just did this in August, three weeks before a sailing. They refunded the second person's taxes and fees and pre-paid gratuities. If I had wanted to substitute a new person, it would have been done as a name change. There was no repricing and would have been no repricing if I did a name substitution.

However, if I cancelled the second person and added a new person in two separate steps, there would have been a repricing of the cabin.

I would put his daughter on the reservation now and see how it shakes out. You will get the port fees and taxes back if you need to cancel her.