Freeport - what to do?

kapeavey

So what did you do exactly on this tour and was it really worth it? We wanted to do a stingray swim either at Freeport or Nassau, but from what we have researched, they are crowded with people, placed in a fenced in area (not like Grand Cayman's Stingray area which is the most awesome we have experienced). We have one new cruiser with us who has never done it, so thought we might try this excursion.

I would love to have some ideas also. Friends have been there but did not adventure far from port. Said it was boring (kind of what I think about a return trip to Nassau, however, we did our own walking tour to Fincastle, Queens Staircase, Hilton, and shopping). I'm not looking forward to this cruise to Freeport, Nassau, and Half Moon Cay and I am usually super excited.

I just got back from being on the Dream and one of our stops was Freeport. We took a cab to the Grand Lucayan and were quite shocked to find out they stop selling Day Passes! I guess we should have thought of this possibility being it was a very busy week with Spring Break for so many but I never read a single review of someone getting there and finding out they stopped selling them. So I just wanted to come on here and tell people to buy your passes ahead of time (I think you can) if you plan on going. We still walked around to the beach but we couldn't use chairs or the pool area. We ended up only staying an hour or so then heading back to the ship. Freeport was a really horrible stop, to be honest. If I ever go back I will stay on the ship but I would avoid a Bahamas itinerary if at all possible.

We went to Paradise Cove in Oct 2014 and had a great time! The beach was perfect as were the employees there. The driver gave a nice history of the area on the shuttle to the cove. When we arrived we unloaded and got our snorkling gear. I went and did the rental of a beach chair and umbrella which was only like maybe 10 bucks for 2 lounge chairs and an umbrella. The food was very reasonable price MUCH cheaper then what you find at the port and so much better! We had great time snorkeling. My younger son (he was 11 at time) and I made it almost all the way out to the reef and saw lots of fish and even sting ray. It was a bit difficult as we got closer to the reef as it was a bit windy that day and the current picked up a bit. I was basically having to pull my son along with me so that really made it a challenge. My older son saw a turtle as well. I hear there are a lot more colorful and variety of fish to see behind the reef. I didn't do that because I was a bit concerned with my younger son and if he would be able to manage the swimming with the current. I would highly recommend Paradise Cove, in fact we are going back next month!

Is there no beach within walking distance?

There is no beach in walking distance. But, I love Freeport beaches. They are so pretty. It is worth the $10rt to go. That will get you to Port Lucaya. The beach is free. A daypass is if you want to use the hotel amenities.

For just a little more ($16rt?)you can go to Taino beach. There are several beach bars. We hung out at Tony Macaroni's. He let us use the lounge chairs since we ate there. He does a conch demo too. There is a park across the road as well.

16942105387_1fd76f5b48_z.jpg

Just a word of warding-when went to return from the market place we had to wait until the van was filled --then the driver took us on an unexpected unasked for tour of the Island for 30 min --we had ask just to go back to the ship before we got in the van. When we arrive at the ship with 12 of our new friends he ask everyone to pay for the tour extra $15pp! We did not but you need to watch out for this scam.

• 1 month later...
I just got back from being on the Dream and one of our stops was Freeport. We took a cab to the Grand Lucayan and were quite shocked to find out they stop selling Day Passes! I guess we should have thought of this possibility being it was a very busy week with Spring Break for so many but I never read a single review of someone getting there and finding out they stopped selling them. So I just wanted to come on here and tell people to buy your passes ahead of time (I think you can) if you plan on going. We still walked around to the beach but we couldn't use chairs or the pool area. We ended up only staying an hour or so then heading back to the ship. Freeport was a really horrible stop, to be honest. If I ever go back I will stay on the ship but I would avoid a Bahamas itinerary if at all possible.

Do they have a limited number per day? Do you think maybe this is because it was Spring Break? I just saw on their website that day passes are available.

We booked a jeep excursion through Carnival this past December . They met us at the pier then took us to the jeeps. We toured the entire island then had a beach break. We'd do it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 3 weeks later...

My wife and I are both very fair skinned (skin cancer issues), but we love just lounging by the beach. Our most important thing is available shade. We don't drink, no kids. Which beach would be best for lounging in the shade and watching the world go by?

• 2 weeks later...

We went to Deadman's Reef when we were in Freeport. It was great. I contacted them prior to arrival and reserved our spot. When we arrived in Freeport there was actually about 30 of us going on the same excursion. There was a place to line up and the bus came to pick us up. It looked questionable but the driver was very friendly and told us lots about the town.

We arrived and was given a brief demonstration of snorkeling but they have kayaks and other things if you don't want to snorkel. If I knew how to post pics I would share. It was a hidden gem for us.

When I get off the ship............

WHAT DO I SEE?

I really don't want to get a cab and ride to a "Market Place" with shops and eats. I'd rather just do shops right off the ship if I need to.

When you get off the ship there will be shopping, Senor Frogs, market area. Go to Google Maps and search for "Freeport Cruise Terminal", zoom into "Earth" mode and you'll get a better sense of what you will see.

Have fun! :)

Edited by Barb & Jeff

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
How do you book a day pass to Grand Lucyan

You can buy when you get there assuming they are selling them that day. We're traveling during spring break, so we booked in advance thru shore excursioner . com. It's $20 vs. $15 you pay if you buy the day you arrive, but I didn't wanna take the change of them being sold out or simply not selling them to the public that day.

So we are going to the Bahamas and my fiance is allergic to the sun... "Why the Bahamas" you say? He won the cruise, so we are going. :D:D:D

Anyone have any ideas of something fun to do that would keep him out of the sunlight? The cruise we are going on is the end of January 2016. He has never been out of the Midwest, let alone the country, so I want this to be a fun time for him. Thank you in advance for any help I get!