Email from RCI about minors traveling with someone other than their parents

Maybaybie10

We just returned from a trip on the Liberty......this year we sailed with our two boys and 4 of their friends. One of the friends was 17.....the rest were 18 or over. My TA told me I would need a letter for the 17 year old which I got. No one ever asked me to see it as did no one ever ask to see any letters last year or the year before when we had 3 boys each year under 18 who had letters. I will say it is better to be safe than sorry tho!

There is a letter on RCCL website that you can print out and just fill in the blanks with the actual info you need to put in such a letter.

Here is the letter I was sent that I need to have so my in-laws can take my kids on/off the ship. The last name piece is what made me ask my TA how I am going to get my kids on/off the ship without my husband since we are a different cabin:

"To Whom it May Concern,

I (name) am authorizing (adult) to take (child) on the xx/xx/xxxx sailing of the (ship name and cruise line).

(Child) is authorized to board and disembark the ship with (adult).

(Adult) is also authorized to make any medical decisions for (child).

(Adult) is also authorized to sign and authorize any port excursion waivers and onboard activity waivers for (child).

Thank you,

(Signed by parent with same last name as child)

(Notarized by Notary Republic)"

After looking at the last name piece, I went to RCI site. Here is what they say about minors and names

"Family Legal Documents

Should the last names of the parent and minor child traveling with them differ, the parent is required to present the child's valid passport and visa (if required) and the child's birth certificate (original, a notarized copy or a certified copy). The name of the parent(s) and the child must be linked through legal documentation."

So according to their website, you do have to bring both a birth certificate verifying you are the parent if your last name isn't the same as well as their passports. We are new to RCCL with kids (sailed once without them), but this is not the policy for any other cruiseline we have sailed!!

But where did the letter actually come from? It just doesn't read as being all that official.

The legal documents page...I will tell you that that is not something I worry about. And, again, we have 3 different last names in our family. I do not travel with BCs when we have passports.

You guys are all embarking together, yes? So you'll all be there? I really wouldn't let this worry you too much. Talk to the person at embarkation and if you want to, bring the BCs.

Talked to someone at RCI yesterday. She assured us we don't need a court document regarding custody. Especially since the courts never gave her a document.

So this is what everyone is bringing:

Husband and me: Passports

Daughter: Birth certificate, driver's license, marriage license and social security card

Granddaughter: Birth certificate, state ID and social security card

Overkill? I think so. But better to have too much than not enough. Besides, isn't that what room safes are for?

Edited by LadyBeBop

Talked to someone at RCI yesterday. She assured us we don't need a court document regarding custody. Especially since the courts never gave her a document.

So this is what everyone is bringing:

Husband and me: Passports

Daughter: Birth certificate, marriage license and social security card

Granddaughter: Birth certificate, state ID and social security card

Overkill? I think so. But better to have too much than not enough. Besides, isn't that what room safes are for?

Make sure your daughter brings an id.

Make sure your daughter brings an id.

Oops.

Edited my last post. After all, she's doing some of the driving to the port. And since she's flying home, she really needs the drivers license.

Edited by LadyBeBop

I know this is an old thread but hoping someone can update some info. We are travelling with my inlaws in connecting cabins. Two of my three kids are in my in-laws cabin and one is with my husband and I. I did not change my name when I got married and my kids have my husband's name. My TA sent me a letter she received from RCCL that needs to be notarized for my in-laws to take the kids off the ship, etc, and according to the letter, I can't sign it since I don't have the same last name as the kids???? Which makes me wonder if I am going to be able to take my own kids off the ship or my husband has to give me notarized permission???? This all seems a little crazy - not every parent has the same last name as their kids because of various customs, not changing names, adoption, divorce and remarriage etc. We have never travelled RCCL before - on Disney there is a form that lists all kids and all adults who can take them off and any parent can sign because there is no magical last name restriction!!!

isn't your name on their birth certificate?