Email from RCI about minors traveling with someone other than their parents

Maybaybie10

I just wanted to share the email I got from RCI about minors traveling with someone other than their parents. I was always under the impression that if a minor was traveling with just one parent then the other parent had to sign a notarized letter saying they give their permission. I also thought that if a minor was traveling with someone other than their parents, then both parents had to give permission. Apparently that isn't the case. I know it says so in their FAQs, but I wanted it directly from RCI to me so I could print it and take it with me. I thought the info might be useful to someone else as well. Their email to me is at the beginning and my original email to them is at the end.

Dear Melissa:

Thank you for your email. We apologize for the delay in our response.

Adults who are not the parent or legal guardian of any minor child traveling with them must bring an original, notarized letter signed by at least one of the child's parents, as well as a copy of the signed notarized letter. The notarized letter must authorize the traveling adult to take the child on the specific cruise and must authorize the traveling adult to supervise the child and permit any emergency medical treatment that must be administered to the child. The copy of the notarized letter will be submitted during check-in. The original notarized letter will need to be kept by the guests onboard and may be requested by shipboard personnel for verification purposes during the sailing.

The adult authorized by the parent in the notarized letter will be able to take the child on shore excursions and sign any activity or shore excursion waivers. The letter does not have to list specific activities the child can participate in, but may indicate that the parent does not want their child to participate in a specific activity or shore excursion. If a non-parent adult is a legal guardian, the adult must present a certified certificate of guardianship with respect to the child.

Additionally, traveling adults are required to present either the child's valid passport and necessary visas or the child's birth certificate (the original or a certified copy). For minors 16 and 17 years of age on a United States closed-loop sailing, a form of photo identification issued by a government agency, such as a public school identification card or a driver's license, will also be required along with the birth certificate. Kindly note, it is the guests’ responsibility to identify and to obtain the necessary travel documentation before commencing their cruise vacation. As documentation requirements are subject to change, please refer to the “Before You Board” section of our website (http://www.royalcaribbean.com) for the most current documentation information.

We would like to invite the children you are traveling with to enjoy Adventure Ocean, one of the most comprehensive youth activity programs at sea. Run by an exceptional, energetic and educated staff, the program is tailored to fit four separate age groups. Adventure Ocean is included in the price of your cruise vacation and all activities are free! Also, you can rest assured your little ones are in good hands. Every member of our Adventure Ocean staff holds a college degree in education, recreation, or a related field and has experience working with children ages 3-17.

The Freedom of the Seas represents an absolute marvel of maritime engineering. The minute you step aboard you will witness the innovations available to you. Catch a first-run movie in the 3D movie theater, give Shrek a high-five as part of the DreamWorks Experience, or have an intimate evening full of delicious wine and decadent appetizers at the Vintages wine bar. No matter how you choose to spend your time, your cruise vacation on the Freedom of the Seas will be an unforgettable experience.

We would like to take the opportunity to welcome you back on Royal Caribbean International as a Gold member of our Crown & Anchor Society. Your membership level gives you access to exclusive onboard savings through our Ultimate Value Booklet, an invitation to our Welcome Back Party, Crown & Anchor savings on cruises, and much more. Visit http://www.royalcaribbean.com/cas/benefitsLoggedout.do for a full list of your benefits.

Melissa, thank you for choosing Royal Caribbean International. We look forward to welcoming you aboard the Freedom of the Seas in April.

Sincerely,

Martha Langner

Customer Service Representative

-----------------------------

My cruise information:

Booking ID:

Ship: Freedom Of The Seas

Sail Date: 19/Apr/2015

Phone:

Issue: My nephew will be traveling with us on our cruise. Do I need a notarized copy giving permission from ONE parent or from BOTH parents? Your website says ONE parent, but I was always told it was BOTH parents (or the 'missing' parent if traveling with just one). He will have a passport and I have Power of Attorney from his father as well while he is deployed. I would just like this in writing to bring with me to the pier so there are no problems. Thank you.

Thank you so much! I needed this information. We will be cruising with my parents later this year. However, they have my son under their reservation as he will be staying with them. Even though we will be there also I think we will get the notarized letter just to be safe. Thanks again for the info.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you so much! I needed this information. We will be cruising with my parents later this year. However, they have my son under their reservation as he will be staying with them. Even though we will be there also I think we will get the notarized letter just to be safe. Thanks again for the info.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Tweety,

If you all check in together, you will not need to get a letter, they will just confirm with you that you are the parent. We just did this on FOS in August. My son was in a cabin with my mother. Since I was there, they actually had me check him in as if he were with me, just his seapass card showed a different cabin. It was quick and easy.

• 6 months later...
Tweety,

If you all check in together, you will not need to get a letter, they will just confirm with you that you are the parent. We just did this on FOS in August. My son was in a cabin with my mother. Since I was there, they actually had me check him in as if he were with me, just his seapass card showed a different cabin. It was quick and easy.

I know this is an old thread but hoping someone can update some info. We are travelling with my inlaws in connecting cabins. Two of my three kids are in my in-laws cabin and one is with my husband and I. I did not change my name when I got married and my kids have my husband's name. My TA sent me a letter she received from RCCL that needs to be notarized for my in-laws to take the kids off the ship, etc, and according to the letter, I can't sign it since I don't have the same last name as the kids???? Which makes me wonder if I am going to be able to take my own kids off the ship or my husband has to give me notarized permission???? This all seems a little crazy - not every parent has the same last name as their kids because of various customs, not changing names, adoption, divorce and remarriage etc. We have never travelled RCCL before - on Disney there is a form that lists all kids and all adults who can take them off and any parent can sign because there is no magical last name restriction!!!

If I were you, and I am not a lawyer, I'd go to the bank with marriage license and have a letter stating Jane Smith and John Doe, a legally married couple, give permission for XYZ to take ABC, etc., etc. be notarized.

My daughter-in-law did not change her last name on her passport so their cabin is under our son's name, her maiden name and their daughter's name showing our son's last name. She is bringing her marriage license and our granddaughter's birth certificate (as well as all their passports) to show the chain of name(s) and identity. Better to have the documents and not need them, than to need them and not have them.

Thank you for sharing.

I travel with DD most summers without DH. I have actually never been asked by RC for any documentation from him. Providing names match I don't think there is an issue. We recently watched a program on Oasis about boarding day. There was one family that had an issue as mom had re married and oldest child had different last name. RC called dad and had him fax over a note.

There was also a newly wed with an issue as she had booked cruise in marital name, but as she had just married hadn't changed passport. She had to get her marriage certificate faxed through to confirm who she was.

Thank you for sharing.

I travel with DD most summers without DH. I have actually never been asked by RC for any documentation from him. Providing names match I don't think there is an issue. We recently watched a program on Oasis about boarding day. There was one family that had an issue as mom had re married and oldest child had different last name. RC called dad and had him fax over a note.

There was also a newly wed with an issue as she had booked cruise in marital name, but as she had just married hadn't changed passport. She had to get her marriage certificate faxed through to confirm who she was.

Thanks. I can understand name on cruise and passport not matching, I have just absolutely never in my life had an issue anywhere else with someone challenging my right to sign paperwork for my kids because we don't have the same last name????!!!! I've been married over 20 years, have three kids (my oldest is 13) been on half-dozen cruises and traveled abroad, and signed everything from school paperwork to medical paperwork and never once had to provide a birth certificate and marriage certificate (and some would need divorce decrees on top of all that) in order to have the right to legally sign paperwork as their mother. Not even step-mother or adopted mother but birth mother still married to birth father.

My TA sent me a letter she received from RCCL that needs to be notarized for my in-laws to take the kids off the ship, etc, and according to the letter, I can't sign it since I don't have the same last name as the kids????

Wouldn't your name be on their birth certificates?

Wouldn't your name be on their birth certificates?

Of course, however my kids have passports. I have never needed to bring birth certificates as well on any other cruiseline or for international travel or anywhere else. In fact, passports work for school enrollment as well. My point is that now I have to carry their birth certificates in addition to their passports because for some reason RCCL is requiring me to prove I am their mother simply because we have different names. This is not at all uncommon and no one else has ever required me to prove motherhood - just required me to sign and state my relationship.

Of course, however my kids have passports. I have never needed to bring birth certificates as well on any other cruiseline or for international travel or anywhere else. In fact, passports work for school enrollment as well. My point is that now I have to carry their birth certificates in addition to their passports because for some reason RCCL is requiring me to prove I am their mother simply because we have different names. This is not at all uncommon and no one else has ever required me to prove motherhood - just required me to sign and state my relationship.

Got it. I didn't realize they had passports.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My children's father and I are divorced and I have cruised alone with my children 5 times over the last 8 years. I always take a notarized Letter of Consent to Travel signed by their father because we are crossing a border before we even get to the ship and because RCCL has their own rules.

I have only been asked once if I have the letter and when I went to pull it out, I was told by the RCCL boarding agent that she didn't need to see it. I have never left a copy with them. I have also never been asked for it when I drive across the boarder.

Because I have changed my name to my maiden-married name, my children do not have the same last name as I do, so I always travel with their long-form birth certificates (which state my maiden and married names), my marriage certificate and my divorce papers. I've never been asked for any of those.

Still, I will always take more than enough paperwork. I don't want to risk being denied boarding.

Will we have a problem here?

My husband, daughter, granddaughter and I are sharing a cabin. My granddaughter has the same last name as my husband and me. Her father is completely out if the picture, having signed over parental rights last year. My daughter is now married and has a different last name. Her husband won't be on the cruise. He could not get time off of work. My granddaughter doesn't have a passport, she is using a birth certificate and photo ID. My daughter has a passport under her maiden name, but she has decided to use her married name on-board. She will use her birth certificate and marriage license.

I didn't think there would be a problem. However, since my daughter and granddaughter have different last names, I'm not sure now.

Edited by LadyBeBop

My TA sent me a letter she received from RCCL that needs to be notarized for my in-laws to take the kids off the ship, etc, and according to the letter, I can't sign it since I don't have the same last name as the kids????

What if you posted the letter? So people could see the wording?

DH and I both have different last names than our hyphenated son, and it's been no problem at all on Royal (or Disney). Now, we're in the room with him and we're all together, but still.

While it's not totally usual for Americans to have different last names, there are plenty of other cultures where women don't change names, or where people add on to their names, and therefore there isn't just one family name. RCI is an international company, so I totally and completely doubt this letter (not doubting you, just doubting the info you were given) tells the actual situation.

My husband, daughter, granddaughter and I are sharing a cabin. My granddaughter has the same last name as my husband and me. Her father is completely out if the picture, having signed over parental rights last year. My daughter is now married and has a different last name. Her husband won't be on the cruise. He could not get time off of work. My granddaughter doesn't have a passport, she is using a birth certificate and photo ID. My daughter has a passport under her maiden name, but she has decided to use her married name on-board. She will use her birth certificate and marriage license.

I didn't think there would be a problem. However, since my daughter and granddaughter have different last names, I'm not sure now.

I would double check about your daughter using her married name. I had always thought that your passport and travel docs need to match, kinda like going through the airport, your DL MUST match the name on your ticket or your not boarding. Also she may have to travel with the signed custodial agreement on her daughter. Just to be safe I would double check on all this, you would hate to get to the port then realize you can't board

I have taken my grand daughter (age 9) with us on vacation since she was 5.

We have a consent letter and medical POA.

Never once have we been asked for the letter by a cruise personal. Only one time for immigration getting off a ship and one time leaving Aruba by US Immigration officers for the letter.

What if you posted the letter? So people could see the wording?

DH and I both have different last names than our hyphenated son, and it's been no problem at all on Royal (or Disney). Now, we're in the room with him and we're all together, but still.

While it's not totally usual for Americans to have different last names, there are plenty of other cultures where women don't change names, or where people add on to their names, and therefore there isn't just one family name. RCI is an international company, so I totally and completely doubt this letter (not doubting you, just doubting the info you were given) tells the actual situation.

Here is the letter I was sent that I need to have so my in-laws can take my kids on/off the ship. The last name piece is what made me ask my TA how I am going to get my kids on/off the ship without my husband since we are a different cabin:

"To Whom it May Concern,

I (name) am authorizing (adult) to take (child) on the xx/xx/xxxx sailing of the (ship name and cruise line).

(Child) is authorized to board and disembark the ship with (adult).

(Adult) is also authorized to make any medical decisions for (child).

(Adult) is also authorized to sign and authorize any port excursion waivers and onboard activity waivers for (child).

Thank you,

(Signed by parent with same last name as child)

(Notarized by Notary Republic)"

After looking at the last name piece, I went to RCI site. Here is what they say about minors and names

"Family Legal Documents

Should the last names of the parent and minor child traveling with them differ, the parent is required to present the child's valid passport and visa (if required) and the child's birth certificate (original, a notarized copy or a certified copy). The name of the parent(s) and the child must be linked through legal documentation."

So according to their website, you do have to bring both a birth certificate verifying you are the parent if your last name isn't the same as well as their passports. We are new to RCCL with kids (sailed once without them), but this is not the policy for any other cruiseline we have sailed!!

I would double check about your daughter using her married name. I had always thought that your passport and travel docs need to match, kinda like going through the airport, your DL MUST match the name on your ticket or your not boarding. Also she may have to travel with the signed custodial agreement on her daughter. Just to be safe I would double check on all this, you would hate to get to the port then realize you can't board

She's not using her passport. Just the birth certificate and probably marriage license. I will tell her to bring the judge's order.

what name is her drivers license?

If the drivers license has her new married name that is all that is needed.

Photo ids are for kids 16 and over

what name is her drivers license?

If the drivers license has her new married name that is all that is needed.

Married name.

Photo ids are for kids 16 and over

We still got her one. We got an ID for her mother to go in a cruise when she was 15.

Married name.

We still got her one. We got an ID for her mother to go in a cruise when she was 15.

the drivers license shows the changed name- you had to show the marriage license in order to verify the name change. that is what she will need not the marriage license

they will not ask to see a photo id for the kids under 16

Do you think I will need to bring a letter of consent to travel with my daughter's best friend who turns 18 on the day of the cruise? Both my daughter and her friend are turning 18 that same day and both have passports.

although we consider 18 to be adults cruiselines consider 21 to be the age. It will not hurt to have one.

But a medical POA should be signed too

Do you think I will need to bring a letter of consent to travel with my daughter's best friend who turns 18 on the day of the cruise? Both my daughter and her friend are turning 18 that same day and both have passports.

Depends on where you are sailing

If USA then yes

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=333&faqSubjectName=Onboard+Policies&faqId=309