Which way?

1of4

Me personally, I always walk in the forward direction. I contacted the Ministry of Silly Walks and they have done the research and have confirmed this is the correct direction for walking the promenade on HAL ships. I have tried walking backwards, but it never works out since I'm always running into things. :D

The Monaco, Indiana and Minneapolis car races are done counterclockwise. Etc.

As a point of correction, the Monaco Grand Prix is most definitely run in a clockwise manner. As are the majority of Formula One races throughout the world. The only ones that run anti-clockwise are Circuit of the Americas in Austin, Autodromo Jose Carlos Pace in Sao Paulo, Marina Bay Street Circuit in Singapore and Yas Marina Circuit in Abu Dhabi. The other 15 grand prix are run clockwise.

Edited by jaguarstyper

If I am walking for laps, I will come out of the door and turn left, so counter-clockwise.

(And to the poster who commented about right-handed people most often turning right, I'm the exception to the rule. I'm right-handed and will always turn left first.)

I grew up in the US and moved to Australia, and when I'm walking on sidewalks or in halls I hear my high school principal reminding students to "stay to the right in hallways and stairwells." The problem is that does me no good in Australia where people walk on the left, the same side they drive on. It just feels wrong and I can't do it. I will always turn left first, but I will do it on the right side of the path!

If I am walking for laps, I will come out of the door and turn left, so counter-clockwise.

(And to the poster who commented about right-handed people most often turning right, I'm the exception to the rule. I'm right-handed and will always turn left first.)

Keep in mind that UPS has determined they have saved 10 million gallons of fuel ever since they optimized their routes to reduce or eliminate left turns. Something to think about... :D

Perhaps all this is about just how friendly you are & do you want to meet your shipmates! A "friendly guy" will go clockwise & always say, "Hi, ya doing?" when passing another walker/jogger... By the third or fourth time, you stop & meet, you're both ready for short break. Yes, new folks to have dinner with... Maybe...

Should you be in high seas & ready for a workout, always walk up hill/deck. That may be to bow, then change direction & head to stern after cresting a wave. You'll never change sides of the ship but still a great workout & always say, "Hi, how ya doing" when folks pass you sliding down the slippery deck on their butts. Lend a hand should you be so inclined!

Life can be fun! What direction are you going???

Which direction you should walk depends of which ship you are on and the destination you are heading. Just remember to continue to walk in the same direction each day or your system will unwind just like a spring does when wrapped one way and then the other. You must also take into consideration which side of the deck you walk on. This would be determined by the majority of the passengers being from the UK or USA.

Counter-clockwise. But on the ship we sailed with 60% Ozzies, we walked on the left or we got run over! It was an adjustment for us but not an issue. We were sailing LA to Sydney: 60% Ozzies, 30% Canucks, 10% all others. It was a great mix and we loved the intro to Ozzie ways as we would be in their neighborhood for 6 weeks after Sydney. A fun time!!

Completely OT, but I remember seeing a British documentary short on TV years ago about a woman nicknamed Left-Turn Louise due to the fact that she would only make left turns when driving. She'd been in a car accident years before while making a right turn and was afraid of them ever since. Consequently, she would go totally out of her way to get wherever she needed to go by only making left turns. If she was going somewhere she'd never been before, she'd get out a map to figure out the left turn-only route.

KK

Completely OT, but I remember seeing a British documentary short on TV years ago about a woman nicknamed Left-Turn Louise due to the fact that she would only make left turns when driving. She'd been in a car accident years before while making a right turn and was afraid of them ever since. Consequently, she would go totally out of her way to get wherever she needed to go by only making left turns. If she was going somewhere she'd never been before, she'd get out a map to figure out the left turn-only route.

KK

Keeping in mind, of course, that in Britain they drive on the other side of the road (whereas we in N. America would tend to avoid the left turns!).

I know some have strong opinions so I am asking: which way do you walk around the promenade deck? Take the bow as 12:00, do you walk clockwise or counterclockwise?

I never want to be "that" person, nor feel like the salmon trying to swim upstream...but I would get the hint and turn around.

Does it make a difference?

I think that it makes a difference whether you are north or south of the equator. However, if you are standing precisely on the equator, you can not go either direction but must jog in place.

There are some people however who feel that the determining factor is not the equator but the prime meridian with the requirement again that if you are precisely on the prime meridian, you must still jog in place but this time you must jog backwards.

Now if you are on the junction of the prime meridian and the equator, you must jog backwards in small circles so that both requirements are met as closely as possible.

DON