Typical Princess Passenger age?

PenguinLife

Other than the couple of times we cruised Carnival, where there is the obvious younger family-oriented cruisers, I've really never noticed much of a difference of age groups between Princess and HAL. I've sailed each pretty equally, and some to even the same ports and itineraries, same seasons, and there really isn't much difference.

I've noticed an equal amount of children on these cruises when school is "in session" and that is because there are still plenty of children being home-schooled. I've often wondered if these parents do this for a particular reason, i.e., avoiding other children, the often better off-season sailing rates, etc. And, of course, there are always the pre-school age children. The true ankle-biters. LOL

I'm not sure why anyone would want to judge an age-group, as I so often read here on CC, and joke about HAL's more elderly travelers. I find these people the most interesting dinner mates with their travel stories of some of the most exotic places in the world. I am hopeful that, not in the too distant future, I will be able to spend even more time with them and even one day being regarded as a well-traveled old fart. ;)

Edited by iceleven

Holland passengers are a bunch of 60 year olds, travelling with their parents! Princess tends to younger!!

Not true.

For most of the past decade, the Average Princess Cruiser has been 58 years old.

The Average HAL Cruiser - during that same time period - has been 57 years old.

These are fleet-wide, world-wide, year around numbers.

Edited by BruceMuzz

There was no judgement on my part, and I did enjoy many of the dinner conversations, but in this case it is sort of like that saying about too much of a good thing, maybe it is just that it is not that often that as a person in their mid 40's that one feel that nearly EVERYONE else around you are old enough to be your parents, or even older. In the case of the cruise in question I am sure the median age was far over that 58 year old fleet average, if the average age were even close to 58 on board I doubt I would have given this a second thought, but averages are just that, and I am sure sometimes you will randomly see a much older or much younger crowd on board.

It is not the age of the passenger that is an issue. It is their lack of consideration of others that is the issue. There will be inconsiderate old timers in scooters who don't care whose feet they run over. There will be children whose parents did not teach them that elevators are not amusement park rides and that other people want or need to use them, or that racing down the passageways screaming disturbs others. There are those of any age who have to block the stair cases and railings while they take turns taking photos of each other.

And then there are those 20-somethings that work in the ships photo department that have to block the elevator lobbies, gangways, and deck 7 fore & aft passageway taking photos whether people want to buy any or not.

My husband and I just turned 29 (Him in June, me in August), we were 25 on our first Princess cruise. I've always felt significantly younger than most of the people we cruise with, but I don't think I could generalize them into a specific age window. 50+ maybe? There usually seems to be a mix. We have done 2 cruises in January, and one in May, so it will be interesting to see if our cruise in ten days feels more... geriatric? I have always liked taking to older people, they have much more interesting stories than people my age.

We'll see how our 'ankle biter' does. People tend to love him, even in restaurants, and we have worked hard to program.. I mean teach him how to behave in public. But this is a whole new experience and 4 days may not be long enough to learn what needs to adapt. If I'm being honest, I'm a bit more worried about my 61 year old mother. She has a tendency to instigate silliness in him on purpose, for a laugh.

Edited by A.stew12305

Not true.

For most of the past decade, the Average Princess Cruiser has been 58 years old.

So Princess has the official distinction of being the old fart line after all. :D And all this time I've been laughing at HAL for having the oldest crowd. ;)

Average ages are one thing and typical ages are another and typical is much harder to define. I would agree that on longer cruises you are going to find an older demographic point....we are the folks who have the time to cruise. On a 7 day Caribbean winter junket you are going to find people from their mid 20's thru 80 with certainly a larger number of people under 50 then on longer cruises.

If the OP wants to party hearty then perhaps Carnival would be for them.

Not true.

BUT you can drown in a lake where the average depth is 3 feet!!!

You have to look at the length of the cruise and the itineraries. Typically longer cruises (14 days+) have older demographics as the passengers will be mostly retired so they can take longer cruises.

Med and European cruises also have an older demographic.

Shorter cruises out of LA and Florida especially during spring break and school shutdown tend to have a younger group. Certainly children on board will lower the average.

I'm in my early 50's but cruise mostly with my now 80 year old mother. We've done Carnival and NCL but more Princess. Sometimes with other family member (close to my age (Irish catholic)). I tend to like the Princess age demographic.

But as everyone says, that changes based on time of year and length of cruise. I think Princess cruisers tend to like the longer cruises. However with the recent deals you can put together a few of those shorter cruises and have your longer cruise for rock bottom prices (and huge OBC to boot).

I have felt on the younger side on some of my Princess cruises, but have been in awe of some of my fellow passengers. The 90 year old on his 50th cruise. The 80 year old who had a full mouth of implants (and told me they are not your own for at least a year). The 70 year old couple who offered to teach me to snorkel at Princess Cays. The chronological age might have been up there, but these cruisers were so young at heart.

Age is a number. And I for one have learned that number is meaningless!

I agree, age is not really relevant, it's attitude that counts.

There is a benefit to cruising with an older crowd, on our last TA, I have a conversation with a delightful lady who made an obscure comment about my age, so I had to ask her how old she thought I was.

She thought I was 25, the look on her face was priceless when I told her I was actually 42.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

BUT you can drown in a lake where the average depth is 3 feet!!!

You have to look at the length of the cruise and the itineraries. Typically longer cruises (14 days+) have older demographics as the passengers will be mostly retired so they can take longer cruises.

Med and European cruises also have an older demographic.

Shorter cruises out of LA and Florida especially during spring break and school shutdown tend to have a younger group. Certainly children on board will lower the average.

Very true as does the time of year. I can see that all the time here in Florida as the elderly snowbirds arrive in the fall they all start their season with a cruise & the average age jumps considerably....maybe to well over 60.

Take the same exact cruise in late spring and the avg age drops off considerably to maybe something mid 50's.

We are platinum Princess cruisers and have sailed multiple times on Carnival, Royal and NCL also. I am in late thrities, my DH is 50 and we have a 5yo DS, we also normally sail with my 85 yo GM, so all age groups are represented on our cruises :)

As for overall crowd, I infinitely prefer more subdued Princess vs constant party atmosphere under 30 prevalence brings. As for median age, on our cruises (mostly Caribbean, shoulder season) I would put it in late 40s early fifties.

I agree, age is not really relevant, it's attitude that counts.

Well said. Two years ago on the Ruby, a feisty, spry elderly lady was "boogieing" down next to me in the piazza on formal night - kicking her heels up so much that she kicked my shin and drew blood with her high heels! Bless her, she never realized, and I certainly wasn't going to ruin her good time with something accidental & minor! I just hobbled off the floor laughing. I'm in my 40s, and she was putting me to shame with her moves!

To respond, I agree with most that the average age on Princess skews towards the 50s & 60s, but we have always enjoyed ourselves. Then again, we go on a cruise to relax, drink wine, and get away from work. And we don't have children. So we don't mind a more mature crowd.