Avalon Waterways

xpcdoojk

The passport expires in approximately 5 months. A new passport will cost you about $ 13.50 a year for 10 years....and save you all the worries and discussions while on the vacation trip. To me, the decision is a no brainer. Time to renew the passport........:confused:

Ok, i would probably agree with you regarding renewing. That said, my complaint would not be about having a 6 month rule, Avalon doesn't according to them. My complaint is that they only mentioned the 6 month rule 3 weeks before I fly to start my vacation. Got the documents Friday with this mentioned buried in the paperwork. Which caused me to lose sleep worrying about this surprise.

That said, I travel internationally 3 to 4 times a year, and I used my passport for travel just a couple of months ago, so, it is not like it is just a simple I have a year to be without a passport.

I guess, I am the last person in the world who thinks that the laws are what we should try to follow.:eek:

jc

I agree telling you something potentially this critical 3 weeks before travel is ridiculous!

When you get back you need to do an expedited renewal and be sure and order the book with the extra pages (no extra cost) just in case you travel to a crazy rule country ;)

I also have had trouble with a Cruiseline who had my info for months and never bothered to see clearly there was a big problem! Luckily I have a great TA who noticed something was amiss.... Irritating and my travel insurance would not have covered this particular stupidity!

Have a great trip!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ok, i would probably agree with you regarding renewing. That said, my complaint would not be about having a 6 month rule, Avalon doesn't according to them. My complaint is that they only mentioned the 6 month rule 3 weeks before I fly to start my vacation. Got the documents Friday with this mentioned buried in the paperwork. Which caused me to lose sleep worrying about this surprise.

That said, I travel internationally 3 to 4 times a year, and I used my passport for travel just a couple of months ago, so, it is not like it is just a simple I have a year to be without a passport.

I guess, I am the last person in the world who thinks that the laws are what we should try to follow.:eek:

jc

No, jc, you are not the only person in the world who thinks that way....but apparently every cruise line can make their own rules and since they have the final say as to whether or not we actually get on board, it makes life easier to just give in...not saying that's right, just saying it's easier. As for their not letting you know about this policy (because let's face it, that's what it is, since it's not the law) that is inexcusable and you have a right to complain.....but you might still have to do it their way and I think that's what we've all been saying.

No, jc, you are not the only person in the world who thinks that way....but apparently every cruise line can make their own rules and since they have the final say as to whether or not we actually get on board, it makes life easier to just give in...not saying that's right, just saying it's easier. As for their not letting you know about this policy (because let's face it, that's what it is, since it's not the law) that is inexcusable and you have a right to complain.....but you might still have to do it their way and I think that's what we've all been saying.

Somehow, I think when I meet with the cruise director at the Bucharest Hotel where we meet to join the ship is going to look pretty silly telling me I can't go on the cruise because my passport expires in 5-1/2 months and no countries on the cruise require more than 3 months when I am obviously already in the primary country that might care. On the positive side. I have taken copies of the passport requirements for all of the countries we visit documented my point of view. Not to mention the fact that I have already had them confirm that I am correct and that they will allow me to sail.

Somehow, I think when I meet with the cruise director at the Bucharest Hotel where we meet to join the ship is going to look pretty silly telling me I can't go on the cruise because my passport expires in 5-1/2 months and no countries on the cruise require more than 3 months when I am obviously already in the primary country that might care. On the positive side. I have taken copies of the passport requirements for all of the countries we visit documented my point of view. Not to mention the fact that I have already had them confirm that I am correct and that they will allow me to sail.

You're probably right, and it's good that you have back-up documentation if you need it. I think the fact that cruise company has confirmed that they will allow you to said is all you need, but better to be safe than sorry. Having completed all the unpleasantness of your passport issue, it's going to be an eye opening experience. I hope you get to spend more time in Bucharest than we did (i night with a full day panorama tour and tour of the People's Palace) it's a beautiful city with a lot to offer. Places not to be missed if offered on your trip: Veliko Tarnovo and Hutna Kora with it's Ossuary.

When you book your cruise on any cruiseline it says in bold print you are responsible for all passport and VISA requirements. I learned about the six months thing here on CC years ago. It's common knowledge.

Got2Cruise: When you book your Greek Island Cruise don't overlook Crete and Rhodes, they were two of the best islands we visited, notwithstanding Santorini and Mykonos of course.

Got2Cruise: When you book your Greek Island Cruise don't overlook Crete and Rhodes, they were two of the best islands we visited, notwithstanding Santorini and Mykonos of course.

Thanks. So many choices. It's overwhelming. I figure there's always next time if we don't get it all in.

• 4 weeks later...

Just updating everyone on my situation. I am sitting in Budapest Jail (or not:D). Actually sitting in the lobby of the Marriott above the Danube looking at the Buda Palace. Had a very nice cruise on the Avalon Luminary. We did two days walking around Bucharest pre-cruise, then Bulgaria for a couple of days on the cruise, then Serbia for a couple more days, then the last day and morning in Hungary. It has been a very interesting experience. I really think that the cruise gives you a good safe way to see these former soviet bloc countries. We were about the youngest people on the ship. There were probably 5 or 6 people at about our age (55). We took all of the excursions, and we had wonderful weather. The mosquitos were very bad until we got to Budapest. Haven't seen any here. I think they have had a horrible wet season this year for them. Budapest is lovely far nicer than the others. We have walked about 30 miles here the last 3 days.

Needless to say, I didn't have a single passport conversation about either the expiration in 5 months or the lack of blank pages. My passport at this point has about 2 empty pages left. Will renew in a week and a day after I get back. :eek:

Yes, of course, some border agent or airline desk or cruise desk could have made my life miserable, but then they can do that to anyone anytime. Speaking of miserable life. We had a passenger for the cruise, who fell on the street outside the Palace Athenee Hilton Hotel in Bucharest and broke his hip. He was hospitalized, but his wife went on the cruise without him. I think I would have been divorced had I left my DW in a hospital in Bucharest.:D Another passenger fell outside the hotel, and had about 25 stitches on his eyebrows and nose. He soldiered through though and seemed to have a great time. I, had a cheap bottle of sparkling wine one of the guests on the cruise gave to me at the end of the cruise. I about ended up in the hospital as the cork (not cork plastic) hit him right between the eyebrows as soon as I good the foil off, before I removed the retaining bit last night. Ouch. :eek: I am fine.

Do be careful walking though in these places as they do not seem to have the same standards of safety to protect people from walking in areas under repair.

Ciao

jc

Needless to say, I didn't have a single passport conversation about either the expiration in 5 months or the lack of blank pages. My passport at this point has about 2 empty pages left. Will renew in a week and a day after I get back. :eek:

We had a passenger for the cruise, who fell on the street outside the Palace Athenee Hilton Hotel in Bucharest and broke his hip. He was hospitalized, but his wife went on the cruise without him. I think I would have been divorced had I left my DW in a hospital in Bucharest.:D

jc

You're not home yet!!! :D:eek:

If my DH left me in a hospital in Bucharest (or anywhere else) he would have been DEAD not divorced!! Did she at least go back for him at the end of the cruise? :eek: Did someone from your cruise line stay with him? I know when one of the passengers on our cruise fell and broke her nose in Cologne, one of the TM's left the ship and stayed with her until she was cleared to return.

Got our travel documents in the mail yesterday! Yay!

On a note of irritation. My and my wife's passports expire late March 2015, so months maybe a year ago, I checked every country we are visiting to see what the requirements were. Everyone of the countries, Romania, Serbia, Hungary, Austria and Germany (flying thru) require a valid passport that is valid 3 months after we leave the country we are visiting as tourists. Yet the stupid documents from Avalon say 6 months. I know that there are countries in the world that require this but none that we are visiting. This caused me to lose sleep last night until I could check again with each country we are visiting.

Stupid cruise-line or lazy cruise-line.:mad:

jc

It is really helpful if the OP titles the thread specifically to the concern rather than the general title which was given - Avalon Waterways! My 2 cents.

You're not home yet!!! :D:eek:

If my DH left me in a hospital in Bucharest (or anywhere else) he would have been DEAD not divorced!! Did she at least go back for him at the end of the cruise? :eek: Did someone from your cruise line stay with him? I know when one of the passengers on our cruise fell and broke her nose in Cologne, one of the TM's left the ship and stayed with her until she was cleared to return.

I never met her, unfortunately. All the information I got was second hand from people at dinner and breakfast and on the tours. I was told that he would be flown home when he was stabilized and could make the flight. Yeah, I would have been dead too, and it would not have been pleasant.:D

I feel, I am home secure. I am in the Schengen countries, now, so I am not really crossing a border until I fly home. They won't check it in Vienna and they won't check it too hard in Dusseldorf when we catch our AA flight home. Especially since they are getting rid of me.:D

jc

JC - Any chance you can post a picture of your cruise document package that you got from Avalon when you return? Would love to see what you got.

Glad you survived the cork poppage! ;)

Sure. I created a PDF of all of my many documents. Let me see if I can cut and paste from the Marriott. Tomorrow the train the Vienna. Not looking for the weather change.

jc

It is really helpful if the OP titles the thread specifically to the concern rather than the general title which was given - Avalon Waterways! My 2 cents.

Sorry.... it took how long to click the link and to read the post?:roll eyes:

For DrivesLikeMario

crapola, I can't get it to cut and paste. Will go to my original copy when i get home. Truly sorry. Trust me when I say it was just boiler plate which is the sad part. They do nothing specific to the customer.

jc

Sorry.... it took how long to click the link and to read the post?:roll eyes:

For DrivesLikeMario

crapola, I can't get it to cut and paste. Will go to my original copy when i get home. Truly sorry. Trust me when I say it was just boiler plate which is the sad part. They do nothing specific to the customer.

jc

No problem at all! I really appreciate you trying! Very nice of you. Would love to see them once you get home though, when you have time.

BTW, love your MINI. I have a Bayswater and love mine too. :D

Another border. We are in Austria. Got her on the Mav Rail Jet train around 2:12PM. The only person who checked our passports was the sweet young girl at the desk at the Park Hyatt here in Vienna. Assuming we don't get Ebola, I think we are home free. :D

jc

Drives Like Mario

I am back! Unfortunately, back at work!

We had zero discussions with any border official or travel company about the expiration date on our passports.

I mentioned previously that the notice on our cruise documents was just boiler plate BS, and here is the bit that I read about 3 weeks before the cruise began that caused me a few sleepless nights.

IMPORTANT CRUISE ADVISEMENTS

Balkan Discovery – Cruise Only Westbound

WOB0 1011

Passports, Visas & Documents

A valid passport is required for international travel. A majority of countries insist that passports be valid for at least a

six month time period, so please check yours is valid for at least six months beyond the conclusion of your trip. It is the

responsibility of the traveler to secure any required visas before leaving home; check your itinerary carefully and ask

your local consulates for advice, as visa conditions are subject to change. If your nationality (passport) differs from the

country in which you reside, please take time to check carefully with your local consulates concerning visa and passport

requirements for your travels.

This was on the bottom of page 7, right after the important section about the daily excursions, and right before useful sections on baggage limitations (really none, but they would prefer you to have just one bag:D), and transportation (which since I was cruise only they pretty much didn't apply to me:rolleyes:) and then tipping. (Which brings up another question I will ask in a future thread on my trip.) These were followed with some useful Romanian, Bulgarian, Serbian and Hungarian expressions. All very important topics for sure.

Like I said, I had already researched every country that we were visiting and knew that they all had a 3 month requirement, and I had known that information and had double checked it as recently as about 3 months before the cruise when I still had time to get a passport renewed. Of course, I got to re-research it all about 3 weeks out, and at that time made PDFs from each of the countries and had them in a gigantic PDF on my Ipad and Iphone, that I could read in the Kindle Ap on those devices. We are not first time international travelers. We travel internationally multiple times a year and have done so for about 20 years. I have owned a passport for over 30 years.

I will say the experience in the Eastern block was fascinating, and it made me for the first time in my life truly understand what Balkanization means.

jc

PS, I will write and post a review in the near future. Not sure when we will do a River cruise again or if, but it was a good experience.

I figured you'd be fine in those countries. ;) Just had someone I know come back from a 30 day Amsterdam to Bucharest river cruise.

Looking forward to the review and the pic of the documents you received prior to the cruise when you have time.

Condolences on being back at work. :( But, welcome home! :)

I figured you'd be fine in those countries. ;) Just had someone I know come back from a 30 day Amsterdam to Bucharest river cruise.

Looking forward to the review and the pic of the documents you received prior to the cruise when you have time.

Condolences on being back at work. :( But, welcome home! :)

The bit in red is the cut and paste from my documents. I am not sure how to post a picture of the entire document package which is several (guessing 20 pages), plus don't want to post the stuff describing myself and the DW... page 7 right after the daily itinerary of the cruise. IE the bus trip to such and such day by day.

jc

The bit in red is the cut and paste from my documents. I am not sure how to post a picture of the entire document package which is several (guessing 20 pages), plus don't want to post the stuff describing myself and the DW... page 7 right after the daily itinerary of the cruise. IE the bus trip to such and such day by day.

jc

???? Don't see anything?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am just warning people that sometimes the cruise lines tell us cr*p that is just boiler-plate and not to be relied on.

I'm so glad you have a great trip, and no problems with your passports! I agree about the cr*p that the cruise lines put you through. It reminds me of the stress I had in Brazil before a cruise where a yellow fever certificate was required by the cruise line. I had inadvertently lost mine at the airport, and discovered that fact as we were packing up to embark. I just about had a heart attack, but when we boarded a few hours later, they just took our passports and smiled, nobody ONCE looked at the certificate (or lack of one.)

As a regular Regent cruiser I can also report that should I sail a Caribbean "closed loop" itinerary with them, it is the Cruiseline policy to REQUIRE ALL PASSENGERS to have a valid passport regardless of the U.S. Rules that say I don't need one to sail.

There is no arguing with them or the other Cruiselines who also have this requirement. They will deny you boarding!

Well this is a different matter, but, speaking of Regent, I had a passport issue with them when we were doing an Alaska cruise. The 6-month rule bit me, even though I can pass back and forth over the border (I'm Canadian) whenever I want with a passport. It really irked me that I was "wasting" 6 months of my precious passport time (at that time all Canadian passports were 5 years only.) But Regent was adamant, so I renewed, gheesh!