Evening wear Equinox

slhw

I've never understood how anyone can consider this "formal" for dining. It's an "office look":rolleyes: Much better to wear a jacket and no tie!
I'm with you. The majority of the passengers don't dress formally and I think Celebrity should change it to cocktail attire, which would be closer to what the majority wears, even though many are wearing what I would call everyday wear during formal nights. I think the days of true formal nights, except for a few of the luxury lines, has gone by the wayside.

I find this thread very interesting. It kind of highlights some of the attitudes that I have experienced in the last 10 yrs cruising. By not following the rules onboard, in my mind it tarnishes the experience for those that follow the rules. It extends further than just the dress code in the main dining room. People jumping lines or passing out on the furniture in public area's. Children running up and down the hallways, or playing in the elevators. ect ect. I know for my wife and I that there becomes a tipping point. Not one of these things would discourage us from changing cruise lines but when they start piling up then you reach a tipping point. We start off cruising on Carnival 10 yrs ago on the new Miracle. Very nice. Unfortunately it seems that there was slight but noticable changes over the years. People were not as polite, the ship standards in general slipped, outright drunkiness ect. Changing to a different cruiseline did make a difference. We started cruising Princess. But again we noticed the same sort of things. Not quite the crazy drunkiness but the ships in disrepair, the lack of customer response to issues, problems with shore excursions. I know from reading the above you might think we are picky or complainers but its really the opposite. We don't like to complain or make a fuss. On the rare occasion we to it is for something significant like construction underneath our cabin at 6am for 10 days straight. In my mind it's just easier to move on to a new cruise line. That's exactly what we've done. This time next year we will try Celebrity. Hopefully it will be a nicer experience. I am hoping that a different type of cruise line will attract a different type of cruiser. If not then maybe I'll try a different one. I guess my point is here that what we do and how we behave on our vacation has an impact on our fellow cruisers. If we are able to keep that in mind it might make the whole journey pleasurable for everyone and not just ourselfs. :)

Larry,

In 20 years of sailing Celebrity, we have yet to experience a cruise where what you mention occurred. Nor have we 'ever' let what someone else does 'tarnish' our vacation. How one dresses is not a rule, nor required on Celebrity, but a suggestion.

We have followed those 'suggestion's'. But have never seen a fellow passenger stop another passenger and call them out for their clothing.

We haven't cruised in the Caribbean for 5 yrs but from reading the posts, it seems people dress more casually on the Caribbean and Alaska cruises. We have spent the last 5 years in the Med, Baltics and Asia and the vast majority followed the dress code. Many cruises had 50% tuxes and the rest dark suits and a few jackets. Formal nights were lovely:)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Larry,

In 20 years of sailing Celebrity, we have yet to experience a cruise where what you mention occurred. Nor have we 'ever' let what someone else does 'tarnish' our vacation. How one dresses is not a rule, nor required on Celebrity, but a suggestion.

We have followed those 'suggestion's'. But have never seen a fellow passenger stop another passenger and call them out for their clothing.

I agree. I would never call someone out for their clothing or rude behaviour or most other things. One the formal nights I do respect the dress code of the MDR. If I don't want to dress up then there are lots of other choices on board. If I do choose to dress up then I would hope everyone else using the dining room would as well. It could also be me. Maybe over the years what I am looking for in a cruise could have changed. Maybe some of these things that I don't care for were always there and I just didn't notice. So maybe with age my taste in cruises and types of cruise mates has changed as well.:)

I agree. I would never call someone out for their clothing or rude behaviour or most other things. One the formal nights I do respect the dress code of the MDR. If I don't want to dress up then there are lots of other choices on board. If I do choose to dress up then I would hope everyone else using the dining room would as well. It could also be me. Maybe over the years what I am looking for in a cruise could have changed. Maybe some of these things that I don't care for were always there and I just didn't notice. So maybe with age my taste in cruises and types of cruise mates has changed as well.:)

I think times have changed. When I first started cruising on Celebrity, the majority dressed formally on formal night. On my last few cruises (Caribbean, New England/Canada and Mediterranean), I noticed formal night getting more and more less formal. On my next cruise, I'll dress more cocktail than formal, to better fit in with those that are wearing everyday dresses, pantsuits, beach maxi dresses, etc., because on my last cruise there were only a few women in formal gowns like I had on. The situation would be corrected, if the dress code were enforced for both men and women, but if they won't, people will always try to push the envelope.

I'll dress more cocktail than formal, to better fit in with those that are wearing everyday dresses, pantsuits, beach maxi dresses, etc., because on my last cruise there were only a few women in formal gowns like I had on. The situation would be corrected, if the dress code were enforced for both men and women, but if they won't, people will always try to push the envelope.

I must admit that I never wear "formal" wear...I don't have any nor do I want any as it is too heavy and fussy for my taste. I do get annoyed when people tell me on CC to choose another cruise line if I don't wear formal. Why! I choose to cruise for the itinerary...where the shop goes, not necessarily the line. I am going to dress comfortably and wear a dress, look very presentable, but certainly not formal. I think many people feel exactly like me, and I don't think that is wrong. People work hard, I know I do, we cruise to relax and to enjoy ourselves, not to feel pressure to be dressed to the nines. I know I look good in my dress, my husband looks lovely in his jacket, usually have a huge table at dinner and we go and enjoy ourselves. I think Celebrity does very well with the dress code and keeps most people very happy.

I must admit that I never wear "formal" wear...I don't have any nor do I want any as it is too heavy and fussy for my taste. I do get annoyed when people tell me on CC to choose another cruise line if I don't wear formal. Why! I choose to cruise for the itinerary...where the shop goes, not necessarily the line. I am going to dress comfortably and wear a dress, look very presentable, but certainly not formal. I think many people feel exactly like me, and I don't think that is wrong. People work hard, I know I do, we cruise to relax and to enjoy ourselves, not to feel pressure to be dressed to the nines. I know I look good in my dress, my husband looks lovely in his jacket, usually have a huge table at dinner and we go and enjoy ourselves. I think Celebrity does very well with the dress code and keeps most people very happy.

I think if Celebrity isn't going enforce their dress code, then folks should be able to and do wear what they want, without any comments from other passengers. I've never had an issue with what others wear, other than I don't want to stand out wearing a gown, if the majority are dressed less formally. I've never understood it when people say that the way people dress ruin their cruise, but I guess to each their own.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Larry,

Wally, if you have been sailing on Celebrity for 20 years I don't know how you possibly could have missed the daily program which for a great majority of those years used the words "required". Not only did they say that, the dress code was enforced in those days and if people did not show up wearing what the cruise line "suggested" they were turned away at the door. I think

most of us who have been sailing with them for 20 years remember that. I also think most of us remember that it wasn't often necessary to "enforce" anything because people were generally more respectful.

I do absolutely agree that I have never seen another passenger call anyone out, nor should they.

More recently, Celebrity has provided a lot more alternatives for people who don't care to dress up. I'm sure Celebrity thought they were doing something to satisfy everyone but some people are never satisfied unless they can do whatever they want, whenever they want. Unfortunately you can't legislate manners and good taste.

All that being said, the great majority of people still abide by the dress code in the MDR.

I think if Celebrity isn't going enforce their dress code, then folks should be able to and do wear what they want, without any comments from other passengers. I've never had an issue with what others wear, other than I don't want to stand out wearing a gown, if the majority are dressed less formally. I've never understood it when people say that the way people dress ruin their cruise, but I guess to each their own.

I agree with the first part of your comments here. If Celebrity or any other cruise line isn't going to enforce the rules then do away with them. Flip flops and bathing suits here we come. As for the last part it doesn't ruin my cruise but if the ship has a formal night and I go to the trouble and expense to lug my clothes along with me then then I would hope that everyone who dines in the MDR would do so as well. As for doing away with formal nights, if a cruise line decided to do this then we all have the option of cruising with them or going somewhere else. As for me I like getting dressed up. I only do it once every couple of years and its nice to take my wife out on a nice night like this.

I agree with the first part of your comments here. If Celebrity or any other cruise line isn't going to enforce the rules then do away with them. Flip flops and bathing suits here we come. As for the last part it doesn't ruin my cruise but if the ship has a formal night and I go to the trouble and expense to lug my clothes along with me then then I would hope that everyone who dines in the MDR would do so as well. As for doing away with formal nights, if a cruise line decided to do this then we all have the option of cruising with them or going somewhere else. As for me I like getting dressed up. I only do it once every couple of years and its nice to take my wife out on a nice night like this.

Times are changing. Even Crystal (who is really, really formal) has reduced the number of formal nights on their cruises. Everyone is never going to follow any dress code or dress suggestion no matter which cruise line one chooses. If you enjoy dressing formally, to me, it is not about the hassle of lugging one's clothes, it is about feeling good about how you look and feel, no matter what others are wearing. For me, I would rather dress down to cocktail attire and fit in better than being one of the few women in a formal gown, but I'm sure it is not the same for others.

Times are changing. Even Crystal (who is really, really formal) has reduced the number of formal nights on their cruises. Everyone is never going to follow any dress code or dress suggestion no matter which cruise line one chooses. If you enjoy dressing formally, to me, it is not about the hassle of lugging one's clothes, it is about feeling good about how you look and feel, no matter what others are wearing. For me, I would rather dress down to cocktail attire and fit in better than being one of the few women in a formal gown, but I'm sure it is not the same for others.

I think your right. Times are changing and I can understand it. We as travellers have lots of choices when it comes to vacations. I think people today just want to unpack and relax for however long their vacations are. Being comfortable is a big deal. There are lots of times we will skip a formal night just because we don't feel like getting dressed up. The other dining venues are awesome. It is a sign of the times and I wouldn't be at all surprised with cruise lines cutting back or eliminating formal nights all together.:)

Yes, and I also think these attitudes are what make the cruise lines think they don't have to provide the extras they used to because people don't care. One day they wake up and wonder why everywhere they go looks the same. If the customers don't care about anything, why should they.

Wally, if you have been sailing on Celebrity for 20 years I don't know how you possibly could have missed the daily program which for a great majority of those years used the words "required". Not only did they say that, the dress code was enforced in those days and if people did not show up wearing what the cruise line "suggested" they were turned away at the door. I think

most of us who have been sailing with them for 20 years remember that. I also think most of us remember that it wasn't often necessary to "enforce" anything because people were generally more respectful.

I do absolutely agree that I have never seen another passenger call anyone out, nor should they.

More recently, Celebrity has provided a lot more alternatives for people who don't care to dress up. I'm sure Celebrity thought they were doing something to satisfy everyone but some people are never satisfied unless they can do whatever they want, whenever they want. Unfortunately you can't legislate manners and good taste.

All that being said, the great majority of people still abide by the dress code in the MDR.

I have the Daily's from '94, '96, '98, and Dec 2000 in a folder, I'll take a look, and get back. ( Yes as you have already researched, we did not sail with Celebrity from 2001 to 2012 ) That said Dec 2000 I show up at the MDR for the first evening in a jacket and was told it was no long need to enter on regular evenings. All our previous X cruises, on every night you needed one to enter.

I have the Daily's from '94, '96, '98, and Dec 2000 in a folder, I'll take a look, and get back. ( Yes as you have already researched, we did not sail with Celebrity from 2001 to 2012 ) That said Dec 2000 I show up at the MDR for the first evening in a jacket and was told it was no long need to enter on regular evenings. All our previous X cruises, on every night you needed one to enter.

That's not true either. They had three dress codes then. Formal, Informal and Casual. Two of the three required jackets but casual nights did not.

Wallie, I didn't research anything. Until recently you had your cruise history posted in your signature. There's no need to defend your cruising history but your comments were just not correct. Sorry.

I have just finished packing for one month away. One week in Waikiki before the cruise, 17 day cruise on Celebrity, 3 days in Sydney. All in a 26 inch spinner suitcase. I have 3 dresses for formal night, one pair of jeans, 2 other pairs of pants, 1 skirt, lots of tops, shorts, yoga skirts and 2 pairs of great sandals along with casual shoes and the usual swimsuits, underwear. I am going to look great for formal night with some over the top costume jewellery.

I leave tomorrow and I can't wait. I have been planning this trip with my husband for 1.5 years and I am going to snorkel in Bora Bora and Tahiti!

You don't have to pack loads of "stuff" to look good. You don't have to fear the dress code crowd because as long as you look presentable, confident and happy, you are good to go.

Edited by Theodorable

I have just finished packing for one month away. One week in Waikiki before the cruise, 17 day cruise on Celebrity, 3 days in Sydney. All in a 26 inch spinner suitcase. I have 3 dresses for formal night, one pair of jeans, 2 other pairs of pants, 1 skirt, lots of tops, shorts, yoga skirts and 2 pairs of great sandals along with casual shoes and the usual swimsuits, underwear. I am going to look great for formal night with some over the top costume jewellery.

I leave tomorrow and I can't wait. I have been planning this trip with my husband for 1.5 years and I am going to snorkel in Bora Bora and Tahiti!

You don't have to pack loads of "stuff" to look good. You don't have to fear the dress code crowd because as long as you look presentable, confident and happy, you are good to go.

You are my packing hero. I can't go away for a seven day cruise without two suitcases and a carry-on. I'm on an 11 day cruise in November, with a couple of days in Miami prior and know I will have a ton of luggage to lug around.

Have a wonderful cruise.

You are my packing hero. I can't go away for a seven day cruise without two suitcases and a carry-on. I'm on an 11 day cruise in November, with a couple of days in Miami prior and know I will have a ton of luggage to lug around.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Thank you so much....I am so excited. I have had a stressful, awful week at work and I can't believe this day is actually here. My husband stuck a small magnetic whiteboard on the fridge with 10 weeks of 7 dots per week for me to rub off every morning...it seemed interminable.

I am having a glass of wine now and feeling absolutely amazing!

Nicola

Thank you so much....I am so excited. I have had a stressful, awful week at work and I can't believe this day is actually here. My husband stuck a small magnetic whiteboard on the fridge with 10 weeks of 7 dots per week for me to rub off every morning...it seemed interminable.

I am having a glass of wine now and feeling absolutely amazing!

Nicola

Have a wonderful time. I'm sure you will!:)

That's not true either. They had three dress codes then. Formal, Informal and Casual. Two of the three required jackets but casual nights did not.

Well I stand corrected, two of the three 'suggested' jackets, the third did not. But it was never 'required' nor a rule. On to 1996~~~~

image.jpg.15d3e9d52246f17d8ee0d9554586e804.jpg

Wallie, I didn't research anything. Until recently you had your cruise history posted in your signature. There's no need to defend your cruising history but your comments were just not correct. Sorry.

Even thru 2000 it was still 'suggested' no need to defend a sailing history, required has never been in the daily's when describing the dress suggestions.

image.jpg.21498a677df92c0cc56215a8a3f4e724.jpg

Hi

This is our first Celebrity cruise. I am just wondering about evening wear in the main restaurant on formal nights and non-formal nights. Should I take the type of long, strappy gown that I have taken on Cunard for formal nights and cocktail type short dresses for non-formal nights? Help please. My husband will be taking his dinner suit and smart shirts and trousers, with or without a tie. Should he take a jacket as well?

Thanks

Sandie

Ok Sandie, here we are 9 days later, and I so hope our little discussion of varying thoughts have not totally confused you. IMHO, you should find Celebrity the same as Cunard on formal evenings. And 'relaxed' on casual evenings. IOHO, you should find the overall atmosphere to your liking. We have for quite a few years.

EW