Evening wear Equinox

slhw

When you book your cruise you have the option for early/late dining.

You have the option for single or double beds in your cabin.

Why not a tick box option for dressing up a little or staying casual? It would certainly end the fuss!

If the majority tick for dressing up then have the main dining room just for them. Then a smaller waiter led dining room for the rest. Vice versa if the majority go for casual.

Shouldn't be hard for the on-board staff to arrange this as they will know the answer before the sail date.

I really don't think it would matter to those who wish not to follow the rules. They might complain about not being able to join the group that did go formal just to make things complicated. Most people understand the idea of having a formal night and will adhere to the dress code. But there's always someone.................

I agree with you and I often wonder on CC when we get some people who are so adamant in claiming that you shouldn't worry about following the dress code or saying "I"ll do what I want it's my vacation" - if they really really sail on Celebrity or if they are trying to influence a change in the dress code policy by encouraging others to disregard it. I find Celebrity to still be very dressy on formal nights and if the day comes that they do away with formal - then I might have to look else where because I enjoy it. There is so little left in travel that is romantic - I hope we can hang on to it.

I have come to the conclusion that it is just a case of a few who make the most noise, be they Celebrity Cruisers or outsiders (looking at Celebrity) I do not know.

What is for certain...

The majority (as proved out on any Formal Night aboard ship) comply, don't complain... And therefore are in agreement with... Or in the very least seem ok with the status quo.

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

I agree with you and I often wonder on CC when we get some people who are so adamant in claiming that you shouldn't worry about following the dress code or saying "I"ll do what I want it's my vacation" - if they really really sail on Celebrity or if they are trying to influence a change in the dress code policy by encouraging others to disregard it. I find Celebrity to still be very dressy on formal nights and if the day comes that they do away with formal - then I might have to look else where because I enjoy it. There is so little left in travel that is romantic - I hope we can hang on to it.
I have come to the conclusion that it is just a case of a few who make the most noise, be they Celebrity Cruisers or outsiders (looking at Celebrity) I do not know.

What is for certain...

The majority (as proved out on any Formal Night aboard ship) comply, don't complain... And therefore are in agreement with... Or in the very least seem ok with the status quo.

Cheers!

Agree completely! I note that that "vocal minority" continually try to claim (here on CC) that "times are changing and the majority want to be casual & wear shorts every night" but you two are both correct, the overwhelming majority do follow the suggested/recommended dress code onboard. There's certainly no "mass movement" as the complainers want to make you believe, to demand the right to wear shorts to the MDR every night!

What is for certain...

Cheers!

What is certain...:rolleyes:

Just the opposite for me, and I suspect most men.:( I comply, don't complain, but totally disagree with formal nights.:( I am not ok with the status quo.:( I would like to see formal nights ended.

I do appreciate X giving us the option of not dressing formally on formal nights. We will be traveling quit a bit before our upcoming TA, and I'd really prefer not to schlep those shoes, suit, shirts and tie around Europe.

DW might want otherwise, and I will gladly go along with her wishes.

I'll be happy when they do away with formal nights.

Agree completely! I note that that "vocal minority" continually try to claim (here on CC) that "times are changing and the majority want to be casual & wear shorts every night" but you two are both correct, the overwhelming majority do follow the suggested/recommended dress code onboard. There's certainly no "mass movement" as the complainers want to make you believe, to demand the right to wear shorts to the MDR every night!

You got it Gary! When I broached the subject of " I'd really prefer not to schlep those shoes, suit, shirts and tie" on our 11 day Equinox cruise, I got told that I best let thoes thoughts wash away with the wake of the ship! And go and get fitted for a new tux, cause the same old white dinner jacket was not going to cut it:D

429494760_1stformal.jpg.68bba2bf91aa3f2019cfb5882b9c5f57.jpg

You got it Gary! When I broached the subject of " I'd really prefer not to schlep those shoes, suit, shirts and tie" on our 11 day Equinox cruise, I got told that I best let thoes thoughts wash away with the wake of the ship! And go and get fitted for a new tux, cause the same old white dinner jacket was not going to cut it:D

And the two lovely ladies in that picture are certainly worth all your "schlepping" without a doubt! :D

On the silhouette in August we saw some beautiful gowns, my friend and I also took really formal dresses nothing looks out of place, meeting in the martini bar dressed up is a special part of the cruise so if I were you I would take your best dress and go for it !

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What is certain...:rolleyes:

Just the opposite for me, and I suspect most men.:( I comply, don't complain, but totally disagree with formal nights.:( I am not ok with the status quo.:( I would like to see formal nights ended.

Whilst I agree with you suspicion that most men just suffer in silence I don't think we need to end formal nights. Many people enjoy them and Celebrity gives options to those of us who don't (although I'd like to be given a no-cost option which is at least the equal of a proper MDR dinner - that's my main gripe).

To remove formal wear from Celebrity would change its image and perhaps force a change in the type of person that cruises. I like the average Celebrity passenger at the moment and I wouldn't want that to change.

Whilst I agree with you suspicion that most men just suffer in silence I don't think we need to end formal nights. Many people enjoy them and Celebrity gives options to those of us who don't (although I'd like to be given a no-cost option which is at least the equal of a proper MDR dinner - that's my main gripe).

To remove formal wear from Celebrity would change its image and perhaps force a change in the type of person that cruises. I like the average Celebrity passenger at the moment and I wouldn't want that to change.

Would be nice.

Passengers: booze cruises will not be the same as more exotic cruises.

I've noticed no difference on Med cruises, etc. Just nice folks trying to see a little of the world.

would be nice

I love the women who defend their husbands saying he hates to wear a suit or doesn't own a suit. Do they intend to bury him in a polo shirt and khakis?

Umm, ever heard of cremation? It's getting more popular all the time.

But i agree - if the guy croaks on the ship, put him in his tuxedo.

This qualifies as the most ridiculous reason for enforcing the dress code thst I've read yet. :banghead:

When you book your cruise you have the option for early/late dining.

You have the option for single or double beds in your cabin.

Why not a tick box option for dressing up a little or staying casual? It would certainly end the fuss!

If the majority tick for dressing up then have the main dining room just for them. Then a smaller waiter led dining room for the rest. Vice versa if the majority go for casual.

Shouldn't be hard for the on-board staff to arrange this as they will know the answer before the sail date.

I think that's way over the top. Those that want very casual should simply book another cruise line. Those that want semi formal and very formal are quite happy with Celebrity. I sincerely think the ONLY disagreement here is whether it is acceptable ON FORMAL NIGHTS for MEN to wear:

A) A dress shirt, tie and nice slacks, but no jacket;

B) A blazer/sports coat, dress shirt, nice slacks, but no tie.

I see plenty of men on formal nights in the MDR who fit either A or B, and they look fine. I see plenty of men in suits and they look great. I see a few men in tuxedos and they look spectacular.

I love the women who defend their husbands saying he hates to wear a suit or doesn't own a suit. Do they intend to bury him in a polo shirt and khakis?

If anyone tried to bury me in a suit I'd be sure to come back and haunt them into madness. Dump my body in a trash compacter or give me a sky-burial and feed me to the vultures just don't dress me in a suit :)

I think that's way over the top. Those that want very casual should simply book another cruise line. Those that want semi formal and very formal are quite happy with Celebrity. I sincerely think the ONLY disagreement here is whether it is acceptable ON FORMAL NIGHTS for MEN to wear:

I see plenty of men on formal nights in the MDR who fit either A or B, and they look fine. I see plenty of men in suits and they look great. I see a few men in tuxedos and they look spectacular.

Agree totally. I have never understood the concept of signing up for a Celebrity Cruise (buying the product literally) and then complaining that it is not a good fit because of their policy on Formal Nights

In my world, you do your homework BEFORE you buy a product (any product) to see if something is indeed a good fit / right for you

If Target doesn't work for you... Then all means don't shop there. Seems ridiculous to outright say you don't like the store policies / product but go there anyhow :rolleyes:

Re - Choice B

For the record NO WHERE in any Celebrity documentation on formal wear (or smart casual) is a tie ever mentioned

Although some would certainly argue that a Suit or Tux is not complete without one.

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

We've been on two Celebrity Cruises (as well as other lines) and got our 3rd booked for April.

Hubby has taken suits with shirt and tie for the past two but now owns a tux and can't wait to wear it! I will also be taking two formal frocks (dresses) with me. Both long and dressy. Our cruises are really the only time we can get dressed up and personally, I feel really nice when I do my hair and make up. When hubby was in his suit, he didn't feel over or under dressed.

On the semi-formal nights, he's usually worn a tucked in shirt with smart jeans and shoes but this time will probably take a pair or two of suit trousers too. I'll be taking a skirt and mixture of tops as well as some summer dresses that I can dress up with heels but then wear with summer sandals.

I would say go with what you're comfortable in.Personally I don't like to see people in shorts or flip flops in an evening but it clearly doesn't bother them. This is the one thing that I do think Celebrity could do better - enforce the dress code for the MDR (and by that, I mean no t-shirts / shorts) especially on formal night.

You will have a fab cruise though. She's a gorgeous ship :)

Edited by Cooso

We've been on two Celebrity Cruises (as well as other lines) and got our 3rd booked for April.

Hubby has taken suits with shirt and tie for the past two but now owns a tux and can't wait to wear it! I will also be taking two formal frocks (dresses) with me. Both long and dressy. Our cruises are really the only time we can get dressed up and personally, I feel really nice when I do my hair and make up. When hubby was in his suit, he didn't feel over or under dressed.

On the semi-formal nights, he's usually worn a tucked in shirt with smart jeans and shoes but this time will probably take a pair or two of suit trousers too. I'll be taking a skirt and mixture of tops as well as some summer dresses that I can dress up with heels but then wear with summer sandals.

I would say go with what you're comfortable in.Personally I don't like to see people in shorts or flip flops in an evening but it clearly doesn't bother them. This is the one thing that I do think Celebrity could do better - enforce the dress code for the MDR (and by that, I mean no t-shirts / shorts) especially on formal night.

You will have a fab cruise though. She's a gorgeous ship :)

I thought X had done away with "semi-formal" nights??????:confused:

Isn't it either Formal or CC Casual?:confused:

I thought X had done away with "semi-formal" nights??????:confused:

Isn't it either Formal or CC Casual?:confused:

Might be called casual. Sorry. Been a while since we cruised celebrity!

Either way, on the none formal nights we still wear clothes that we would wear out for a normal meal :)

A) A dress shirt, tie and nice slacks, but no jacket
I've never understood how anyone can consider this "formal" for dining. It's an "office look":rolleyes: Much better to wear a jacket and no tie!

Agreed. It just shows how far the cruise lines have already gone in an attempt to accommodate the "I don't wanna dress up!" crowd. Unfortunately, the highly vocal minority continues to press for even further "dress down" accommodations and probably won't be satisfied unless they can show up in shorts, tees & flip-flops EVERY night.

I sincerely think the ONLY disagreement here is whether it is acceptable ON FORMAL NIGHTS for MEN to wear:

On some of our cruises, the men in blazers are far better dressed than those in suits that may have fit a few years ago and poorly tailored rental tuxedos. The only men that consistently look spectacular on formal nights are wearing full Scottish dress.

On some of our cruises, the men in blazers are far better dressed than those in suits that may have fit a few years ago and poorly tailored rental tuxedos. The only men that consistently look spectacular on formal nights are wearing full Scottish dress.

I agree, particularly about the Scottish dress which ironically does not qualify as "formal" based on Celebrity's definition.

Agreed. It just shows how far the cruise lines have already gone in an attempt to accommodate the "I don't wanna dress up!" crowd. Unfortunately, the highly vocal minority continues to press for even further "dress down" accommodations and probably won't be satisfied unless they can show up in shorts, tees & flip-flops EVERY night.

The cruise lines haven't gone too far. The vast majority of those on Celebrity do follow the formal dress code where it is in place and many follow it even in venues where it is not in place. True they don't always enforce the requirement but there really are not very many not following it.

I agree, particularly about the Scottish dress which ironically does not qualify as "formal" based on Celebrity's definition.

I think the formal Scottish kilt attire definitely meets the sprit of the formal attire dress code - much more so than a sport jacket and tie. In general I find those from the UK dress much more formally overall.

We always wear formal wear and on most of our cruises at least 50% were properly dressed. On Equinox men in shorts were turned away from the MDR. I never feel over dressed on Celebrity... Others just look poorly dressed! Do your own thing. Love Celebrity. Back on in 6 days!!

Edited by Clairev