Evening wear Equinox

slhw

Hi

This is our first Celebrity cruise. I am just wondering about evening wear in the main restaurant on formal nights and non-formal nights. Should I take the type of long, strappy gown that I have taken on Cunard for formal nights and cocktail type short dresses for non-formal nights? Help please. My husband will be taking his dinner suit and smart shirts and trousers, with or without a tie. Should he take a jacket as well?

Thanks

Sandie

For the nights which are "smart casual and above" your husband will not need a jacket. There will be some men in jackets on those nights, but the majority of men won't be wearing a jacket. You'll see lots of men in polo type shirts, lots in plain button-down shirts.

Your long dress sounds perfect for formal nights. On the "smart casual and above" nights women will be much less dressy than you might have been used to on Cunard. A cocktail dress would be fine, but so would slacks and a nice top.

Actually, I think you'll find very few women in long gowns on Celebrity. Far less formal than Cunard. I know that many here on cruise critic are loathe to admit it, but even on formal nights, men eschew wearing a tie, wearing just a long sleved shirt and jacket.

Just off Celebrity Equinox. It really is a mixed bag in MDR on Formal nights. Many men in Tux, many in suit and tie, many without jacket or tie. Even saw a guy in flip flops and shorts in MDR on formal night. Mentioned it to Door Lady as I was under the impression thaat at least a jacket is required, she just shrugged it off.

I think it depends on where you are sailing, too. DH and I think it is more formal in Europe and less formal in the Caribbean, for example. We were on Equinox a few weeks ago and people were reasonably dressed up in the evenings. A lot of dresses for the women and jackets for the men. On formal night, there were quite a few tuxes,about 40% I would estimate, and many long gowns. I would estimate more shorter dresses than longer ones, but there were quite a few longer ones, too. ( I think men look great in a tux. I think if they knew how good they look, they would wear them more often.)

Just my observation.

Ohiodoglover

The second post above, by Cruisestich, matches my observations. On the cruises we've taken the vast majority of men and women were dressed very well on formal nights.

A jacket for smart casual nights is optional. You'll see a few men, but not many, wearing a jacket in the main dining rooms. There will be a much larger percentage wearing a jacket in the nicer specialty restaurants like Muranos or Tuscan Grill but they are not required so there will be men without jackets as well.

tbmrt, a vest alone doesn't fall within the Dress Code, as I'm sure you know. Your husband should be prepared that he might be handed a jacket to wear on formal nights, or worse, could be denied entry to the MDR. It could be that neither will happen, but both have been known to occur.

tbmrt, a vest alone doesn't fall within the Dress Code, as I'm sure you know. Your husband should be prepared that he might be handed a jacket to wear on formal nights, or worse, could be denied entry to the MDR. It could be that neither will happen, but both have been known to occur.

Prediction: No problem with his outfit. In fact, they will likely smile broadly and compliment his bow tie!

My H tends to wear a sportcoat to dinner on non-formal nights. I don't bring any long dresses, they are too heavy and take up too much room so the long gowns and tuxes went "out" with the airline regulations. For formal nights H wears a suit and tie and I wear a blingy cocktail dress. On non-formal nights H wear a sportcoat and I wear sundresses in warm climates and I wear more cocktail type dresses but not-too blingy in colder climes.

Hi

This is our first Celebrity cruise. I am just wondering about evening wear in the main restaurant on formal nights and non-formal nights. Should I take the type of long, strappy gown that I have taken on Cunard for formal nights and cocktail type short dresses for non-formal nights? Help please. My husband will be taking his dinner suit and smart shirts and trousers, with or without a tie. Should he take a jacket as well?

Thanks

Sandie

Don't listen to others on here make your own minds up and wear what you want to wear.

We are going on the Solstice shortly and my husband is bringing a sport coat for formal night and he will wear a tie. I have some light dresses to wear. Nothing fancy. The other nights I will be wearing jeans, khaki trousers, or a skirt. With some nice tops and sandals this will be perfect. You don't need piles of formal clothes.

Have a great cruise.

Ps can't edit the title. But it should be "what to wear"!

Edited by Theodorable

Agree Christine. On our last cruise to Alaksa we kept hearing how casual everything was but someone posted pictures of the dining room on a non-formal night and the entry to the dining room from their recent Alaska cruise and it really helped to see that most men had sport coats and that the women were wearing dresses. I'm pretty clear on what country club casual means, but Alaska was throwing me off. Having been on several lines in the past five years there are subtle differences, what goes on NCL and Carnival isn't necessarily the norm on other lines. Most people just want to know what constitutes under-dressed or over-dressed so they feel comfortable. There's tons of people's pictures posted - Google is your friend - if you want to see how people dress on a particular cruise in a particular region.

Actually, I think you'll find very few women in long gowns on Celebrity. Far less formal than Cunard. I know that many here on cruise critic are loathe to admit it, but even on formal nights, men eschew wearing a tie, wearing just a long sleved shirt and jacket.

Last sept on Equinox I would have agreed with you but on Eclipse a few weeks ago on Norwegian fjords cruise long dresses were definitely very popular and also many more tux as well. Seems to depend a lot on the cruise and the passengers of course as well.

Really helpful comment :rolleyes: People are just trying to answer the OP's question.

It is just another odd question people ask on here. Surely guests are able to make their own minds on what to wear each evening. They would not ask the neighbours what to wear to work tomorrow, would you?

Its like the question "I'm going on xxxxxxxx cruise next year, what tours shall I book, or what should I have for dinner?

The post was for them to make heir own minds up, not for them just to not listen to any of the posts on here.

It is just another odd question people ask on here. Surely guests are able to make their own minds on what to wear each evening. They would not ask the neighbours what to wear to work tomorrow, would you?

Its like the question "I'm going on xxxxxxxx cruise next year, what tours shall I book, or what should I have for dinner?

The post was for them to make heir own minds up, not for them just to not listen to any of the posts on here.

They haven't sailed Celebrity yet. People could dress like on Cunardor like MCL

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

As another celebrity first timer I find this thread very helpful...other than one unnecessary comment..but there is always one isn't there ;)

I have read and am quite clear on what is expected and we will adhere to it..but a "dress" means different things to different people...and as one helpful person pointed out it is simply a matter of not wanting to be over or under dressed, and another astutely pointed out, many of us fly and with restricted baggage allowance need to cut back on weight where we can...for us ladies shoes, accessories etc etc etc can really add up in the weight and bulk department.

With this in mind..my husband no longer desires to wear a suit or jacket and who am I or anyone else to force that on him? Personally I enjoy dressing up a little more, but we are all different in our comfort levels. It is his vacation as well as mine and we both need to be comfortable...so....on formal night what are our options since we will not be bringing formal wear (jacket)?

I assume the buffet will be open? Are there other venues open as well where the formal dress code is not in effect?

There is always room service if we get stuck :-)

Thank you for all constructive responses :)

As another celebrity first timer I find this thread very helpful...other than one unnecessary comment..but there is always one isn't there ;)

I have read and am quite clear on what is expected and we will adhere to it..but a "dress" means different things to different people...and as one helpful person pointed out it is simply a matter of not wanting to be over or under dressed, and another astutely pointed out, many of us fly and with restricted baggage allowance need to cut back on weight where we can...for us ladies shoes, accessories etc etc etc can really add up in the weight and bulk department.

With this in mind..my husband no longer desires to wear a suit or jacket and who am I or anyone else to force that on him? Personally I enjoy dressing up a little more, but we are all different in our comfort levels. It is his vacation as well as mine and we both need to be comfortable...so....on formal night what are our options since we will not be bringing formal wear (jacket)?

I assume the buffet will be open? Are there other venues open as well where the formal dress code is not in effect?

There is always room service if we get stuck :-)

Thank you for all constructive responses :)

As far as Dining Venues...

On Formal Night ONLY the MDR has the Formal Dress Code.

All other venues... Including The Blu DR (for Aqua Class Pax) and all Specialty Restaurants are Smart Casual (as they are every evening).

The Buffet is Casual... And Room Service is also available 24/7

And little known fact...

You can order Room Service from the MDR whenever the MDR is open... Just ask your Cabin Steward for a copy of the menu

Cheers!

As far as Dining Venues...

On Formal Night ONLY the MDR has the Formal Dress Code.

All other venues... Including The Blu DR (for Aqua Class Pax) and all Specialty Restaurants are Smart Casual (as they are every evening).

The Buffet is Casual... And Room Service is also available 24/7

And little known fact...

You can order Room Service from the MDR whenever the MDR is open... Just ask your Cabin Steward for a copy of the menu

Cheers!

Thank you!

Very helpful indeed!

I like that little tidbit about ordering MDR food!

BTW ...I had a smile on my face when I saw your profile name...and read your signature. I am technically too young to remember that song, but my mom loved it so I heard it often when I was little. It brought back a fond memory :)

It is just another odd question people ask on here. Surely guests are able to make their own minds on what to wear each evening. They would not ask the neighbours what to wear to work tomorrow, would you?...

Well....if I was starting a new job at a place I'd never been to before I'd definitely ask what the dress around the office is. I wouldn't ask the neighbors but I would ask someone familiar with the workplace. In the posts above people are not asking their neighbors either - they are asking those that have been on the ship and can relate their experience. Seems pretty appropriate to me.

...my husband no longer desires to wear a suit or jacket and who am I or anyone else to force that on him? Personally I enjoy dressing up a little more, but we are all different in our comfort levels. It is his vacation as well as mine and we both need to be comfortable...so....on formal night what are our options since we will not be bringing formal wear (jacket)?

I assume the buffet will be open? Are there other venues open as well where the formal dress code is not in effect?...

The buffet is casual and you can wear shorts and a t-shirt there if you'd like. They have nice food at the buffet but not a huge selection at night.

The specialty restaurants are all "smart casual and above" every night. On formal nights there will be people in the specialty restaurants dressed both formally and smart casual so one wouldn't feel out of place dressed either way.

There is a dress code on the ship for the MDR. As is frequently reported here there are times when it is enforced, at least to the extend of a jacket for men and appropriate slacks and shirts, and times when it is not enforced and people dressed casually are allowed in. Unfortunately you won't know if this is the case in advance although you can ask your waiter or one of the managers on board if he will be allowed in without a jacket. The dress code in the MDR does not force anyone to dress that way but most dining there do out of respect for the policy and their fellow cruisers.

Edited by Lsimon

The buffet is casual and you can wear shorts and a t-shirt there if you'd like. They have nice food at the buffet but not a huge selection at night.

The specialty restaurants are all "smart casual and above" every night. On formal nights there will be people in the specialty restaurants dressed both formally and smart casual so one wouldn't feel out of place dressed either way.

There is a dress code on the ship for the MDR. As is frequently reported here there are times when it is enforced, at least to the extend of a jacket for men and appropriate slacks and shirts, and times when it is not enforced and people dressed casually are allowed in. Unfortunately you won't know if this is the case in advance although you can ask your waiter or one of the managers on board if he will be allowed in without a jacket. The dress code in the MDR does not force anyone to dress that way but most dining there do out of respect for the policy and their fellow cruisers.

Thank you...so you are saying jackets for men every evening? This I was not aware of. Yikes! I guess we will have to bring one for him then. We will not disregard the dress code.

We enjoy MDR dining so he will grin and bear it...and take it off at the table. So he is comfortable and the dress code is enforced and everyone is happy.:)