Kids on Carnival- favorite things to do?

MaiTaiMary

My son loves the arcade, basketball court, and the "Dija You Ever" menu in the MDR. He thinks eating shark, frog legs, and escargot is way COOL! He is 13 and has been cruising since he was 6.

My daughter loves the family comedy show with her virgin Miami Vice frozen drink. She also enjoys the $10/$15 sales from the Funshops for jewelry, purses, and scarfs. She is 12 years old and has been cruising since 5.

They both like the movies under the stars for a wind down evening following a port day.

We also like to do family scavenger hunts together.

OP...was on the Miracle in May with two kids (10 & 8). They have a candy store next to the fun shops. Finding and walking through Gatsby's Garden with them was fun. Mini golf and giant chess. Family Friendly comedy shows. Camp Carnival is very small on this ship. Kids still went and had fun, but much smaller than on other ships we have sailed. No 'movies under the stars' and in Alaska anyway, only one in cabin movie channel, so it was hit or miss as to if it would be 'kid friendly'. Not an issue for us though as the kids loved just exploring the ship, swimming, eating ice cream, etc. Enjoy your cruise!

OP...was on the Miracle in May with two kids (10 & 8). They have a candy store next to the fun shops. Finding and walking through Gatsby's Garden with them was fun. Mini golf and giant chess. Family Friendly comedy shows. Camp Carnival is very small on this ship. Kids still went and had fun' date=' but much smaller than on other ships we have sailed. No 'movies under the stars' and in Alaska anyway, only one in cabin movie channel, so it was hit or miss as to if it would be 'kid friendly'. Not an issue for us though as the kids loved just exploring the ship, swimming, eating ice cream, etc. Enjoy your cruise![/quote']

Thanks!

The mini golf on Miracle looks rather... small and dull. :confused: But that's good to hear that your kids liked it! We will definitely try it.

I'll be sure and look for the family friendly comedy shows.

I hope the face that CC is "small" doesn't mean they don't have as good of a program as other ships!

Thanks!

The mini golf on Miracle looks rather... small and dull. :confused: But that's good to hear that your kids liked it! We will definitely try it.

I hope the face that CC is "small" doesn't mean they don't have as good of a program as other ships!

They offered the same programs and activities that we had seen on the Glory a year earlier. Still plenty for them to do, but just a smaller room to do it in!

Hope your family has an amazing trip!

We travel with our 7 yr old granddaughter who has been cruising since she was 3. Besides the occasional Camp Carnival she loves to hang out by the pool, loves the hot tubs, ropes course, putt putt golf, the family friendly comedy club, listening to the various live music around the ship, hasbro game show, and people watching. We always sit and people watch before we head into the MDR for dinner each evening. She visits the arcade about once or twice but that's only because she gets $5 free.

Besides Camp Carnival and the pool/water slide, what do your kids like to do the most while on board? :)

Make milkshakes using milk from the buffet and ice cream from the bar and order PB&J sandwiches from room service.

Edited by scooterpopsnana

Besides Camp Carnival and the pool/water slide, what do your kids like to do the most while on board? :)

We were on the Miracle for 16 nts with twin 8 yr old boys. It was important that we checked the camp schedule and worked around their favorite activities. We had something like 9 or 10 total sea days and we spent the afternoons at the covered pool every day when it was sunniest and warmest (even though there was an echo under the dome and very loud with the Marco Polo game going on). We brought UNO cards and played UNO every morning after breakfast in the atrium area, the library, or by the coffee shop. The boys went to elegant nights with us and we picked what shows to attend. I did have them go see the band once so they could see and hear a live band, and we went to the British Invasion show, excellent! If there is a naturalist on your cruise, pick a few of those educational programs- or all of them- to attend, as well as any talks on the ports visited. I try to teach my kids something about the area before we leave home, at least a few months before boarding we read a few books and watch movies about the area and people that live there. Eating ice cream is probably their no. 1 activity, though!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

My boys have cruised on the Spirit, which is in the same class, 3x. It has the best pool to passenger ratio (3 full size pools for a lot less people than say the Breeze, which only has two pools). Plus that style of pool is my kids' favorite. It has a large overflow area around the entire thing where they lay, play, chase, and splash.

And while they don't have a Cherry on Top, there is a formalities shop that sells bulk candy in bins. We would let them visit one of twice a day to choose a gummy shark or two.

Pay attention to the Camp Carnival activities. We bring a highlighter and they choose the ones they want to go to.

That class of ship is our favorite, you guys will have an awesome time and your kids will love it. Pay attention for the Chocolate buffet in your FunTimes and they also had times where they served real scooped ice cream. Those were other things we'd go to.

we love ordering room service ~ cookies and milk. Although theres only three of us, we order 8 orders of cookies (which is about 4 or 5 cookies each)

we love to walk around to the bow of the ship late at night, when its very dark, and star gazing. We walk backwards to see who can walk further, wind usually makes it very hard and the corn bag game! that's always fun

On the miracle it us called formalities. They sell candy in there. You will pay dearly for a quarter pound of candy. Use that money and let the kids get something special from the cafe. 4 Choc strawberries for 5 bucks.

We go to the family comedy after dinner. After walking the outside deck to move all that food

Then we head to the lounge and watch whatever is going on in there

• 11 months later...
Thanks!

With the mini golf, I think it's more the idea that you are playing on a ship than any thing else. The mini golf on all the ships isn't very impressive, but we still have fun.

Definitely go to the comedy shows. My kids were really disappointed that they didn't have any family comedy on the Allure and it's the main reason they voted for Carnival over Royal for our next cruise. Oh, I think it tied with 24 hour ice cream! Plus they like the food better.

We let them pick a night that they stay in and order room service by themselves and DH and I go to the dining room. They think that's incredibly cool.

We really like the different games and classes they have. Like line dances or towel folding etc. I know a lot of people really dislike the passenger entertainment things like Hasbro, but we love those.

My boys love chess so they really enjoy the big chess sets out on deck.

We also spent quite a bit of time in the cabins, looking at the ocean, using the binoculars and just relaxing.

DS, 12 for last 2 cruises will be 13 by January cruise, no longer interested in Camps for kids, gets his 1 time a day 30 mins in arcade on way back from dinner most days unless he has a chess game scheduled, one or twice for week in pools/hot tub (only if DH or myself happen to go in as he is not really into the people soup thing, something about the PH level :eek:), Hasbro game show (has won some cool stuff) and family comedy shows....

But his biggest attraction on the ship, the giant chess board, he plays tournament chess so he is always looking for a good game, last cruise in August he played 30 games and won 95% of them (all adults as no children willing to play him after watching although he is always happy to teach someone) to the point where we had crowds watching him take on one after the other on sea days, he just loves the game and the fact that he can play a variety people from all over the world in many cases and be on a cruise ship is the icing on the cake....he still plays a lot of these people online so he has made friends from many countries....DH and I get our seats early near the chess board in the sun, get our DOD's, some books, some food maybe and spend the day relaxing and watching the games....

Push the buttons by and in the elevator.

My son calls pushing all the buttons "Musical Buttons" (not sure why). :eek: He only did it once without us catching him and now, every time one of us has to guard the buttons so he doesn't end up pushing them all because he thinks its hilarious.

DS, 12 for last 2 cruises will be 13 by January cruise, no longer interested in Camps for kids, gets his 1 time a day 30 mins in arcade on way back from dinner most days unless he has a chess game scheduled, one or twice for week in pools/hot tub (only if DH or myself happen to go in as he is not really into the people soup thing, something about the PH level :eek:), Hasbro game show (has won some cool stuff) and family comedy shows....

But his biggest attraction on the ship, the giant chess board, he plays tournament chess so he is always looking for a good game, last cruise in August he played 30 games and won 95% of them (all adults as no children willing to play him after watching although he is always happy to teach someone) to the point where we had crowds watching him take on one after the other on sea days, he just loves the game and the fact that he can play a variety people from all over the world in many cases and be on a cruise ship is the icing on the cake....he still plays a lot of these people online so he has made friends from many countries....DH and I get our seats early near the chess board in the sun, get our DOD's, some books, some food maybe and spend the day relaxing and watching the games....

Our sons definitely need to cruise together! When is your Jan cruise? We sail the 2nd on the Breeze.

Edited by momof3cruisers

Mini golf, the night shows, the playground (next to camp ocean, but not used by them), magic show, Disney trivia, foosball table and giant chess, Dr. Seuss storytime, parade, and breakfast, tea time with my oldest daughter.

My son was 4 yrs old when went on the Freedom. His favorite things were watching movies on the Lido deck and getting the free popcorn; watching the ship's path on the in-room TV; pushing the elevator buttons for us; finding our room cabin by looking for the door decoration; the pool; and the ice cream. He tolerated the kids' club but didn't look forward to going there.

We didn't attempt the mini golf but will this coming cruise in Feb. Ourupcoming cruise will have the WaterWorks area so I'm sure he'll enjoy that.

• 1 month later...