Papeete Pre-Cruise Questions

mkcruise

We arrive in early October a couple of days before our cruise departs from Papeete - the flight is an early one, and we assume we probably cannot get our hotel room - IC Tahiti - until later in the morning - we will have a rental car - any suggestions for a reasonably priced place to eat breakfast? How difficult is it to find parking in town during the day? Also, a little off topic, but what are the typical sea conditions this time of year, for things like whale watching or other open water excursions?

People tend to trash to Tahiti because they don't know it. Mkcruise - you are doing the right thing in renting a car. Driving around the island is a superb way to spend a day. The scenery is stunning and make sure you go as far as Tautira. The black sand beaches on Tahiti sparkle like gold dust and the view from Matavai Bay, near Point Venus, is stupendous.

Parking in downtown Papeete can be tricky and needs a little patience. There are many cafes along the Promenade which serve a nice breakfast - think coffee and croissants rather than eggs and bacon. Papeete itself has a great vibe, a decent market, and while it doesn't have a must-see attraction I really like just hanging out there.

Tahiti is not generally a place for water excursions. The IC is a big, international-style resort with lots of facilities, except a beach, and a nice view across to Moorea.

Moorea itself is undoubtedly lovely but I wouldn't bother if it's just for a night or two. Too much hassle regarding ferries or flights and shifting luggage around. Assuming your cruise goes to Moorea it's pointless staying there.

Edited by Fletcher

I haven't trashed Tahiti. I've suggested that IMHO the South Pacific vibe can be found elsewhere. There are many, many islands in the region and few of us have explored most of them due to time and cost. For this reason most of us make choices and balance one option against the other.

If you want to stay on spectacular beaches with great views and world class snorkeling I would still recommend Moorea. Even if your cruise stops there it is still a great place for pre or post cruise. While other islands offer a different atmosphere Moorea is the only other island you can get to in expensively.

Thanks for the comments - I did consider going to Moorea for our first night but also wanted to kind of ease into the start of our FP vacation/cruise, so I opted for the night at the IC Tahiti and renting a car. Not knowing the territory I thought doing a one nighter over to Moorea might be pushing it a bit for our first visit. I probably should have come in even earlier and spent a couple of days on Moorea, but we really didn't have the extra time to do it this trip. Now all I have to do is keep my fingers crossed that the Air France pilots aren't still on strike....

We rented a car on Tahiti at the end of our cruise and recommend a drive around the island (there is a set route that you can get online). It is really interesting away from Papeete though I did not think Papeete was that bad. We saw quite a bit of the town because we kept getting lost trying to get out of town and onto the road that circles the island-if you do a circle tour, maybe go the other way not toward the town. It would depend on how tired you are when you get there whether you want to drive further than the IC when you arrive. We did not try to park in Papeete. Further out it was easy to park but not as many places to eat. Drive around the smaller island too if time. Incidentally on some of our wrong turns, we saw some very nice neighborhoods off the main road. There is more to Tahiti than the cruise terminal and airport (though Moorea is wonderful too).

I probably wouldn't do a one-nighter on Moorea. But if I had two nights pre-cruise, I'd spend it in Moorea for sure.

Tahiti and Moorea are as different as night and day. Some folks are night people, some are day people. I have to agree with FlightMedic555, I am one of the Moorea people.

I really enjoy the ferry ride to/from Moorea. I would never think of it as "too much hassle." But then, different strokes for different folks.

P.S. Sorry for the really bad pun.

I am thinking about a 11/18 cruise from Papeete but would have to arrive at 10:30 p.m on the 16th which means two nights at a hotel. Is it possible to get to Moorea that late at night or should we stay in Papeete?

No late ferries or flights to Moorea. We had a similar arrival so we prebooked a transfer with Carls Cab and stayed at the ICTahiti, a 10-15min drive from the airport. Check in was fast and we woke up to a fabulous view of Moorea the following a.m. Book a room with breakfast included.

cvn_060939.jpg

I'm arriving at Papeete cruise pier on the 4th January: does anyone know if there's an ATM or currency exchange machine on the pier for taxi payment? Last time I was there we arrived at the airport and had no problem.

We will be getting off the Pacific Princess on 11/28 but because we just booked the best flight we can find leaves at 11:30 p.m. on the 29th. I was going to take the ferry over to Moorea the morning of the 28th but looking at the ferry schedule we would have to return 4:30 p.m. on the 29th. That would mean a long wait at the airport. Any suggestions?

I'm arriving at Papeete cruise pier on the 4th January: does anyone know if there's an ATM or currency exchange machine on the pier for taxi payment? Last time I was there we arrived at the airport and had no problem.

There is a tourist info center/vendor area just beyond the start of the pier that may have had one - (I can't recall for sure), however there is a Bank of Polynesia with an ATM right across the street from the pier.

It's only a couple minutes walk from the gangplank of one's ship.

There is a tourist info center/vendor area just beyond the start of the pier that may have had one - (I can't recall for sure), however there is a Bank of Polynesia with an ATM right across the street from the pier.

It's only a couple minutes walk from the gangplank of one's ship.

Many thanks. I've boarded/disembarked at the PPT pier before, but it's a few years ago and I have forgotten!

Leave her clean for us...we are getting on, on 11/28. Will you blog or post anything while you are on the cruise?

I would love to know the exact formal nights so I can schedule my speciality restaurants for those nights. Thanks in advance

Y

>>I would love to know the exact formal nights so I can schedule my speciality restaurants for those nights.<<

No such thing on Oceania! Fortunately it's all smart casual ( UNfortunately sometimes more "casual" than "smart".)

>>My question was titled @PSDottie because she is getting off the

PACIFIC PRINCESS on November 28th...

I am well aware of Oceania's Casual cruising! Thanks tho! <<

Apologies, but I have no idea what @PSDottie means.

I read somewhere, that I can't find now, that there are pay storage lockers near the car rental place at the Papeete airport. We will be renting a car after the 5:35 AM arrival on 10/9 to do the circle tour, but would most likely need to store the bags. Anyone know if the lockers are there (or elsewhere), size, and cost?

There a half dozen ATM's across the street from the pier. You will be able to actually see 2 or 3 easily after you leave the ship

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks; will try them.