Buying a Tux??

dznymom

I am sure this has been discussed here, but I can't find anything and the search isn't helping me at all. Anyway, I have decided to purchase a tux for my 17 year old since his suit barely fits him, and he has a couple of proms coming up plus we cruise frequently. Sadly, I know nothing about tuxes, ao I am not sure what material or style I should be looking for. I would like to buy online, and I am hoping I can get him fitted at my local tux shop. I would appreciate feedback on where to buy. I am too wimpy to do E-bay. I don't want to spend a fortune, but I want it to be nice. I just hope he's done growing at 6'3 icon_rolleyes.gif

I might even buy one for my 12 year old if the price is right on kid sizes. He is quite the clothes horse.

Thanks icon_smile.gif

Chris in NH

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;8;14;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Until our GLORY Cruise!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=a0522d&cdt=2004;11;21;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Until we are BACK on the Radiance!

Sovereign of the Seas 2/04, Radiance of the Seas (Alaska) 8/03, Disney Wonder 2/03, Disney Magic 8/02, Disney Wonder 4/02, Disney Magic 7/01, Carnival Ecstasy 5/99, Carnival Sensation 12/96, Premier Majestic 12/95, Premier Atlantic 4/94, Premier Majestic 11/93, Premier Majestic 12/90

We bought my fiance a tux at Mens Wearhouse. They are a bit pricey however so here's some advice we learned during the buying process. Do your research about tux styles -- tails, no tails, double breasted/single, fabric, lapel styles - peaked/shawl/notch etc on sites like menswearhouse.com or even on wedding sites like theknot.com. They have a LOT of great style info. If you can get him fitted at a local store, you may even choose to buy a tux (albeit not the fanciest one out there) at Burlington Coat Factory.

Good luck.

Barbara

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;10;17;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Explorer Wedding Cruise!

We just bought a brand new tux for dh through e-bay. We bought from a seller with a 100% guarantee and were totally pleased. I didn't want to buy from a "used tux" seller or someone that didn't guarantee. Use the search and there are lots of sites online for buying tuxes at very good prices. Many also give instructions for measuring. We used the instructions and the tux fits perfectly. We were advised by other cruise critic posters to only buy 100% wool. We did and it is a very good quality, wear year around weight tux. Do your research first online, shop in tux stores if you like. There is lots of information available. Our tux cost $149. We thought it was a great deal with our cruise and daughter's wedding coming up soon. Some sites offer packages including vest, bow tie, shirts and even studs and shoes. There are good deals available. Good Luck & have fun shopping.

Can't wait till 5/19/04 on the Wind

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;05;19;20;00;00&timezone=GMT-1000

I bougth a tux last year for my 17 year old- same idea he had 2 proms and a cruise last year another prom and cruise this year. It was less expensive to buy then to rent 2 times. I bought online as well. I will try and find my info - Mr. Tux maybe??? In NJ. Do a google search and you will find several sites- some clearer than others.

You will find a complete listing of the different styles- the lapels and the number of buttons vary. I found it much easier to figure it out from the pictures than in a shop. They also give complete directions on how to measure. BUT if you are at all unsure go to a rental shop- try on several different styles- they will of course measure him and/ or try on different sizes. Thus you will have a pretty good idea about what size will be right for him as well as what he'll like.

You can also go to a local tailor , tell him you're buying a tux and will be coming to him for alterations but need measurements to order it. We have a great guy in town who actually does custom suits- but he was very happy to do the measurements and then alterations. He felt I had gotten a good deal with good quality and it was a sensible way to start a young man off- and I'm sure he hopes someday that young man will want and appreciate finely tailored suits!!!

Do buy a wool tux. A light weight wool can be worn year round and will last forever and look great.

I think the entire package- tux, shirt, tie, cumberbun, cufflinks and studs along with a garment bag was about $199. We did then later buy a vest and matching tie in a local shop for more "kid Like" flair.

Also One of the big differences I found online was that some sited allowed you to order pieces seperately- but still at a pkg price. Others had matched sets only. My son wears a 48 jacket but only 36 pants so a matched set was useless. My son also needed alterations to the jacket to taper it in- athletic build. My Husband on the other hand could use a matched set and all he needed was hemming- his days of athletic build are long past!!!

Goodluck with your son- I'm sure he'll look very sharp!!!

I am a tailor by trade, and endorse everything blueberry has said.

Skip the tails, frocks, and other "fringe" styles. They're fine for renting, but you will want something more conservative to purchase. Double breasted is on the way out too.

I normally recommend a single button coat, but due to your son's height, a two button would also be fine. Peak or notch lapel is appropriate, while shawl collar is better suited for white dinner jackets.

Don't worry about him growing out of the tux. If altered correctly, he should be able to grow another three or four inches before the tux gets too short to be realtered. Likely he'll grow out of the waist or chest before he grows out of the length.

100% Wool usually has a nicer feel than all polyester or a poly/wool blend.

Dan & Marlene

Us - NCL Norway 02/03

Her - NCL Southward 04/92

- Star Princess 05/95

- HAL Westerdam 09/96

Thank you so much! You guys are awesome. I think I am ready to start looking. From putting all your expertise together, I am looking for a tux that is 100% lightweight wool, single breasted, one or 2 button, peak or notch lapel and no tails. I should get a basic package, and add flash through an additional vest or cumberbund later.

I totally forgot about Burlington Coat, which was silly since I bought almost all their suits and sports jackets there when they were kids icon_rolleyes.gif I will check them out this afternoon after I look online to get a better feel for exactly what I am looking for. Maybe I will get lucky there, otherwise it's back online for me. I will find a good local tailor for alterations, and have the best dressed kid in town!

This is going to be fun!

Chris in NH

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;8;14;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Until our GLORY Cruise!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=a0522d&cdt=2004;11;21;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Sovereign of the Seas 2/04, Radiance of the Seas (Alaska) 8/03, Disney Wonder 2/03, Disney Magic 8/02, Disney Wonder 4/02, Disney Magic 7/01, Carnival Ecstasy 5/99, Carnival Sensation 12/96, Premier Majestic 12/95, Premier Atlantic 4/94, Premier Majestic 11/93, Premier Majestic 12/90

I've had very good luck through e-bay with thetuxxman. I've gotten a tux and several vests and ties from him. He can put a package together for you as well. you can call him and tell him what you want and he can make some suggestions. He will take credit cards and get your items sent right away. I'd say for a younger guy get a fancy vest and tie to dress things up and make it fun!

Spaceguy..ditto on the tuxxman. I've heard nothing but GREAT things about him. Wish he would have had DH's size, as we probably would have purchased one from him.

As it is, we rented online and DH will purchase a tux this year for use in the future. Just let time get away from us this time!

Lisa icon_smile.gif

Monarch of the Seas - 1994

Royal Majesty - 1996

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;5;9;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Until VICTORY is ours

I totally agree--Tuxxman on e-bay! He has some new merchandise as well, but even his used tuxes are beautiful. He is very nice about exchanging and he also carries boys sizes, so this would be perfect for your younger son.

Also, I just saw a picture of one of his double shawl collar , single breasted black tuxes--Oscar de la Renta I think--and it was BEAUTIFUL. I think shawl collars are very classic on a tux as well as a dinner jacket.

Good luck and let us know what you find! icon_smile.gif

Melody

Just an update icon_smile.gif The 17yo is out looking at tuxes today, and will tell me what he really likes and I will hopefully be able to get it from the Tuxxman. I know he wants a red vest icon_rolleyes.gif I was checking things out on The Tuxxman, and now the 12yo is begging me for a white dinner jacket. Would that be too much for a kid?

Chris in NH

Until our GLORY Cruise!

OK here's a stupid question...how the heck do you measure for a tux? How do you know if it should be regular or long, etc. I was once told that, for instance, a "48" was the combination of all of the measurements - chest, arms, etc. Is that right?? Thanks!!

~Holly

• 3 weeks later...

Any local tux rental will offer measure service for free. Due to the commonality of out-of-town weddings, they expect to have to do their share of gratis measuring.

A 48 coat, as the chart says, is for a man that measures 48 inches around the chest. Long is generally for the man over 6', and regular is under 6'. Over 6'4" is extra long, and under 5'6" is short.

Suit pants are 6" smaller than the coat size. 42 coat comes with 36" pants. Athletic or trim cut pants will be 7-8" smaller, and portly will be 4" less than the coat.

Dan & Marlene

Us - NCL Norway 02/03

Her - NCL Southward 04/92

- Star Princess 05/95

- HAL Westerdam 09/96

Another vote here for Men's Wearhouse. Great place, excellent service. DH has purchased 3 of them over the years and won't even think about going to another store.

1998 Imagination

1999 Voyager of Seas

2000 Ocean Princess

2001 Explorer of Seas

2002 Radiance of Seas

2003 Golden Princess & Navigator of Seas

2004 Tahitian Princess, Millenium & QM2

I thought long or short had to do with your torso length. My DH's father was 5'8" but wore a "long", he had a long torso but short legs. When he was seated next to my DH who is 6"1" they looked the same height!

Dan & Marlene- How do you know if the man's torso is a long? What measurement determines a long or short?

Thanks

Nancy

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;06;06;23;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

June 6-Golden

dznymom,

I married last year and purchased a tux from http://www.tuxedosonline.com/ . There is a great selection and no problems with the transaction or shipping. I got everything I needed, shirt, studs vest/cumberbund etc for the one site.

The pants needed finishing and the jacket taken in a bit, but a local tailor did that.

• 3 months later...

I know it's been a long time, but I wanted to post and thank everyone for all the great advice. We used the Tuxxman (an Ebay retailer) and are very pleased overall. There was some confusion about sizing, and I had to return a jacket twice, but Larry and company were extremely accomodating. As a matter of fact, we got so close to embarkation that they sent the correct jacket to our hotel in Florida for us. It was most appreciated, and my boys and DH looked fabulous. The quality of everything was very good, and the prices were excellent. My 13 year old did choose the white dinner jacket and he looked absolutely spectacular. I wish I knew how to link to photos!

Thanks again for all the help, and I highly recommend the Tuxxman.

It's refreshing to hear your two son's take an interest in getting dressed for dinner. The more I cruise the more aggravated I get that some men find it to be a nuisance to put on a jacket, let alone a dinner jacket. You're doing a great job as parent, good for you.

So glad to stumble on this site. We are going on a Med cruise in Oct. My 13 year old son wants a white dinner jacket. I liked the selection the Tuxxman had, but now am exactly unsure which size to order. What problems did you have with the sizing? We're at that difficult stage between boys and mens sizing. Can't believe it at 13, but...

Peak or notch lapel is appropriate, while shawl collar is better suited for white dinner jackets.
You made an excellent point about 1-button v. 2+ buttons; but, I am curious as to why a shawl collar is better suited for a white dinner jacket.

The problem I had on sizing was for my very 17 year old - very tall and lean. Either I didn't measure right, or they misunderstood me, but everything turned out fine in the end. For my 13 year old I just ordered a boys size 18 and it fit well (with a little growth room). It has the shawl collar and is very classy looking. I got the black pants and a shirt and he really looked great. I think the whole thing was about $60 including shipping. It was a real bargain!

I didn't know anything about styles at all until I got help on this board. All of the advice I got was right on and most appreciated. I will try to figure out how to post a photo :)

Archived