Is there any reason why I can't bring a 750ML bottle of Beer as my allowance?

threedjmay

Why can it only be wine or champagne? I understand they don't want hard liquor. For those who like beer (and not wine), there are some high quality beers that range from $10 - $25 for special occasions that are 750ML. ABV is similar to what a wine would be - from 8 - 12%. They often have a cork as well.

Any reason why this wouldn't be permitted?

Why can it only be wine or champagne? I understand they don't want hard liquor. For those who like beer (and not wine), there are some high quality beers that range from $10 - $25 for special occasions that are 750ML. ABV is similar to what a wine would be - from 8 - 12%. They often have a cork as well.

You wouldn't be allowed because it's against the beverage policy, which states you may bring one bottle of wine or champagne.

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Liquor_and_Beverage_Consumption_Policy.aspx

Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages on board. However, at the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day, guests (21 years of age and older) may bring on board one bottle (750ml) of wine or champagne, per person, only in their carry-on luggage. A $10 corkage fee per bottle will be charged should you wish to consume this wine in the main dining room; $14 corkage fee per bottle in the steakhouse. Guests may bring a small quantity (package of 12 per person) of non-alcoholic beverages. All prohibited alcohol, excessive quantities of wine/champagne or non-alcoholic beverages will be removed and stored for safekeeping until the end of the voyage. The retained item(s) will be delivered to your stateroom on the last night of the cruise. Unsealed containers with prohibited liquids will be discarded, as well as any unclaimed items left after the voyage, and no compensation will be given in either case.

Interesting question.

I have thought about trying this as well. Worst they could do is take it, I guess? I am not a big wine drinker but do appreciate some of the nicer, gift quality, beers. I am planning on Cheers but can't do it until the 2nd day so we planned to bring our wine allowance on for day 1.

I tried this in splendor in January - I brought chimay premier / red label in the approx 750 no bottle - cork and all. I was thinking the same thing, and sure enough it LOOKS like wine so I figured I'd give it a try. I carried it on just as if it was wine... And was SUCCESSFUL! They didn't bat an eye.

so, if you're inclined, I'd say give it a try. I'm sure there may be a bit of ymmv to this one but it worked for me!

Okay, I'll see if I can't pursue requesting making this change. I think the policy is a little outdated. It could be because there hasn't been enough demand. I think the demand will only be increasing.

I understand I can't because of "policy" but I want to know the reason why their policy is only for wine or champagne.

Until they start selling those larger bottles of beer on the ships like they do wine, its a shame to have a policy that probably just hasn't been reviewed in recent years now that there are more craft beer options than ever.

The wine/champagne thing really doesn't make sense to me either. We don't care for wine or champagne. If we purchase drinks on-board it's usually only a total of 5 on a 7 day cruise. We bought hard liquor through Bon Voyage once, it was expensive, we didn't use it all and had to haul it back home hoping it didn't leak all over our clothes. I goofed and packed one bottle of Amaretto in my carry on. Well airport security spotted it and the whole thing got tossed, about $60 worth!:eek:

So now we use Rum Runners, still purchase about 5 drinks per cruise and have never had any problems.

Try it and see what happens. Last cruise I had two bottles of wine in my carry on. Went through the x-ray machine and no one said a word and never looked at the bottles. If they don't inspect it I would suspect it would be hard for them to tell a wine bottle from a large beer bottle.

On our September 6th. cruise on the Freedom I brought three 6 packs of beer on board at two of the ports. One at San Juan & two at St. Thomas. I just put them in my wifes zippered tote bag and nothing was said. I like Bud but it could have been any beer. I did not bring it on necessarily because of the 6.61 cost per bottle on the ship but because I like to sit on my balcony and have a few beers when I feel like it. Incidentally the Fun Times specifically says all LIQUOR will be confiscated if brought on board. Nothing about beer.

Try it and see what happens. Last cruise I had two bottles of wine in my carry on. Went through the x-ray machine and no one said a word and never looked at the bottles. If they don't inspect it I would suspect it would be hard for them to tell a wine bottle from a large beer bottle.

That's a good point. Last 2 times at Port Canaveral they never even took the bottles out to see what they were.

The wine/champagne thing really doesn't make sense to me either. We don't care for wine or champagne. If we purchase drinks on-board it's usually only a total of 5 on a 7 day cruise. We bought hard liquor through Bon Voyage once, it was expensive, we didn't use it all and had to haul it back home hoping it didn't leak all over our clothes. I goofed and packed one bottle of Amaretto in my carry on. Well airport security spotted it and the whole thing got tossed, about $60 worth!:eek:

So now we use Rum Runners, still purchase about 5 drinks per cruise and have never had any problems.

A previous Carnival CEO, Bob Dickinson, was a real wine fan. He started this back in the day. I am surprised it has outlasted him.

Here are some of the 'wines' I looked at today. My buddy suggested Tank 7. I snapped a few pictures to come home to research and narrow it down since they are a little too expensive to try a bunch of them.

65302297faa6f39fb3de6e4ce39ff871.jpg

4060412df9de9a77be35643d9566b6a9.jpg

5bc86b5610a05014885f9cba344ec511.jpg

b4589126aae4a30f0d5133e3372109ee.jpg

7bf2eb675259bf863c44fcdf5ed26d6d.jpg

29ede6275eea708b4515e60e4c35aafc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by aggie182

Tank 7 is great. Its a classic, if you're not a cruise, you can buy it in a 4 pack too. If you like a whiskey barrel ale, the Rye on Rye is great. They use Templeton Rye Whiskey Barrels to age the beer.

Several others look like Belgium's, so it just depends on if you enjoy those or not. I personally like them, so I think they have a great selection, but I've never had Maredsons or Adelbert's before. They don't sell that in Iowa.

I am looking for something that doesn't need food to accompany it to be good, something that I don't have to chew (not a fan of a bunch of crap floating in my beer), and something that is better served cold. I want to enjoy it on the balcony the first night of the cruise. Any suggestions will appreciated!

I am not a beer snob but enjoy beer and can appreciate a good beer.

I am looking for something that doesn't need food to accompany it to be good, something that I don't have to chew (not a fan of a bunch of crap floating in my beer), and something that is better served cold. I want to enjoy it on the balcony the first night of the cruise. Any suggestions will appreciated!

I am not a beer snob but enjoy beer and can appreciate a good beer.

A Belgian style would be perfect for that or a saison.

It isn't wine?