Large Backpack or Small Suitcase

greenmind0428

Coming from a backpacking background, I'm a pretty light packer. When I go on a normal 7 day trip, I usually don't carry anything more than a small backpack.

Since I'll be packing a bit more for a cruise than I normally do (and probably bringing home a lot more), I was wondering the following: would it be easier logistically on a cruise ship to store a large backpack or a small rolling suitcase?

I would be packing grocery type bag inside of it to carry in port.

Would it even make a difference to the experience? I'm just having a tough time deciding having never cruised before.

This is all we had for our 3 day bahama cruise, but this was also the same for our 2 week non-cruise vacation to Japan.

i-GMnjTMd-L.jpg

1 travel backpack for each of us, meaning there is the large backpack for the majority of your things, but it also has a small day pack that attaches to it. I think backpacks are better for travel flexibility because if needed, you can use them for lots of walking over rough terrain or in crowded conditions. They often come with rain flies so no need to worry about your things getting wet if you're caught in a sudden downpour when exploring a city.

As far as your question about storage in the cabin, it doesn't matter because you're going to put your luggage under the bed which has plenty of room.

Edited by Sinewave4x4

We used to do rolling suitcases, but have found that we like backpacks better. We use this convertible bag from Ebags. Next trip is 8 days in Puerto Rico and a 7 night cruise. We plan to use only our TLS bags ( one each) and doing laundry between the land and cruise portion of our trip. We have a collapsible tote for bringing extra things home.

http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/tls-mother-lode-weekender-convertible-junior/241465?productid=10209115

I prefer not to check bags either on the plane or the ship and I really like the agility gained from having a backpack over a roll-aboard. Now that we have tested these bags, we plan to get one for each of our children before their next cruise and ditch all the suitcases. This also helps our general goal of having less "stuff". :o

There is plenty of room under the bed for either.

Since you are used to back-packing you might prefer the hands-free backpack.

Our cruises always involve connecting flights so we find it easier to have a backpack for our carry-on since it leaves hands free to carry other items.

Thanks for all of the advice! I think the small suitcase for checked baggage and small backpack for carry on is a great idea so I'll probably go with that.

Since gf picked the plane, I'm not sure of the luggage policy (or even what airline we're flying) but I *think* it's a one checked bag free one.

I think that sounds like a great way to keep either of them from getting too heavy.

Coming from a backpacking background, I'm a pretty light packer. When I go on a normal 7 day trip, I usually don't carry anything more than a small backpack.

Since I'll be packing a bit more for a cruise than I normally do (and probably bringing home a lot more), I was wondering the following: would it be easier logistically on a cruise ship to store a large backpack or a small rolling suitcase?

I would be packing grocery type bag inside of it to carry in port.

Would it even make a difference to the experience? I'm just having a tough time deciding having never cruised before.

I have done a roll on, before and had enough room to bring a nice out fit for Formal night.