Park West....

goduckies05

I bought some KinKade prints on the Imagination back in July. Paid 600 for three prints plus framing. I googled it and seemed in line with the value. But I heard Park West has been getting sued for fakes. I like the looks and am not planning on selling them. But do they scam people?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

I bought some KinKade prints on the Imagination back in July. Paid 600 for three prints plus framing. I googled it and seemed in line with the value. But I heard Park West has been getting sued for fakes. I like the looks and am not planning on selling them. But do they scam people?

I have not seen any items on fakes that park west is selling, but I have seen where a lot of people have indicated that the art is over priced.

There are hundreds of articles online about Park West, it would appear that they do sell fakes.

I always smelled a rat with these art auctions. Their pitch is that these are great investments that are going to do nothing but rise in value. If that were true, then their business model is crap, because they should just sit on their paintings and sell them at the higher price.

After a few cruises of course, you realize that they have the same paintings on every cruise. Dali must have been a busy man, I have seen an authentic signed painting by him on every cruise I have taken.

Its Kinkade, he didn't paint it anyway. He had a factory where he hired artists to add paint to his prints.

Art is pretty much subjective, I've always thought Kinkade was overpriced junk. But if you like it and you didn't buy it as an investment, go for it.

There were definitely some pieces I thought looked nice, but not for the prices they wanted at the local store. I have been able to find other pieces in the same style for much less.

I saw a painting of a ballerina, that I knew from my college Art History class, was a Degas.

Couldn't have been a real Degas though. If it were, they wouldn't be selling it on a cruise ship.

I just never make large purchases while on a cruise. If there's a problem, it's too much hassle to get it corrected, if ever.

Thanks for the article. Interesting. I didn't but it at the auction but after. They offered one for 400 or three for 6 hundred. Said it appraised for 800 each. I will enjoy them, but be very careful in the future. The framing was real quality though so I will give them that.

There are hundreds of articles online about Park West, it would appear that they do sell fakes.

I always smelled a rat with these art auctions. Their pitch is that these are great investments that are going to do nothing but rise in value. If that were true, then their business model is crap, because they should just sit on their paintings and sell them at the higher price.

After a few cruises of course, you realize that they have the same paintings on every cruise. Dali must have been a busy man, I have seen an authentic signed painting by him on every cruise I have taken.

Dali was pretty prolific and there are rumors that he signed a lot of blank litho paper too.

If you're buying any kind of art for investment purposes you better be able tell a fake from the real thing. I've never seen any "deals" on anything on a cruise ship. Park West does get a lot of bad reviews.

I have bought several Thomas Kinkade prints. I've compared the price I paid with the local gallery and I've always gotten cheaper with Park West. Below is a Kinkade print called "end of days". It is no longer available. I got it as a carry off for $125.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

1411701122826.jpg.6a6f1abb3ced72ca83264b2482e563ad.jpg

I would not waste my spit on Park West, however, if you are happy with something you purchased that is all that matters. Many things appraise for at least twice what they are worth. I would not purchase something as an investment without doing a lot of research.

The same is true for anything you purchase in the Fun Shops or for that matter, at your local Walmart.

I have a house filled with art from Park West auctions over the years. I enjoy each piece and they also bring back memories of wonderful vacations. I have a storage closet full of tubes from Park West containing many lovely pieces. But I got smart somewhere along the line I came to the realization that if I liked it enough to buy it, I should have it delivered framed and not add to the cardboard tube collection. They do a very nice job of framing. One piece did arrive damaged and they made it right without any hassle. I have read many negative articles but feel that if you buy something you really like and avoid the big ticket items that you may not understand you will be satisfied with your purchase.

I would definitely avoid it as an investment strategy. I read a news article about a couple who bought thousands of dollars of expensive art work thinking that it was worth double what they paid. When they went to sell it, they could only get about 50% of the value they paid.

Buy pieces of art you like and want to hang on your walls. Then you don't have to worry so much about the residual value.

I have a house filled with art from Park West auctions over the years. I enjoy each piece and they also bring back memories of wonderful vacations. I have a storage closet full of tubes from Park West containing many lovely pieces. But I got smart somewhere along the line I came to the realization that if I liked it enough to buy it, I should have it delivered framed and not add to the cardboard tube collection. They do a very nice job of framing. One piece did arrive damaged and they made it right without any hassle. I have read many negative articles but feel that if you buy something you really like and avoid the big ticket items that you may not understand you will be satisfied with your purchase.

And in the end, that's what really matters. Enjoy your art works. :)

And in the end, that's what really matters. Enjoy your art works. :)

Exactly. People should not be naive to think Park West is selling original masterpieces. The auctions are fun and entertaining. If you see some artwork that is inexpensive and you like it then buy it. Most of the Park West art is beautiful.

I have been to many Park West auctions and any art work I have purchased has never been misrepresented by the auctioneer. They quote a price and I have never paid any extra fees, shipping or insurance that was not already included in the final price paid on the cruise.

I really like all of the artwork I have purchased from Park West and by the way, have it framed by them because their framing is beautiful.

Go and enjoy the auctions with an open mind.:cool:

Edited by JohnSpo

• 3 months later...

Years ago…long before we had the opportunity to cruise, I belonged to an Army Spouses Club. As a fund raiser we responded to a company called Park West, who sent it’s brochures to all the Military clubs at the time. They came and set up the auction. They explained how fine are could be a wise investment and proceeded to sell many (signed and numbered) prints by famous artists. Two young lieutenants bought a few Norman Rockwell prints as I suppose an investment. After the auction they traveled to the Stockbridge Massachusetts Norman Rockwell Museum to authenticate their investments. They were all frauds. The lieutenants wanted their money back. Park West refused. Their headquarters is in California and long distance litigation would have been expensive. So the lieutenants sued our club. As a non-profit we were safe, but other entities didn’t have that protection. If you ever see the name Park West attached to any art. Run Run Run. There are literally hundreds of lawsuits against them as we speak. They have deep pockets from bilking people for so lon, and can afford to tie things up in court until people give up. They are CROOKS.

Many years later I won the raffle onboard a cruise ship. I was told that I had won a seriolithographic print, Summer Enchantment by Shaefer Miles. We went to the Park West desk to pick up my supposed prize, only to be told that they had no more on board, and they would have to ship it to us. I wanted to walk away, but they conned my husband out of $35.00 for packaging and shipping to receive MY FREE PRIZE. It arrived after several months. We went on EBAY and found dozens of the same print that folks couldn't sell for $5.00. Please warn your friends. They are con artists.

I doubt they are selling fake anything... However, they are selling copies of copies, prints, litho's etc.

They don't sell originals, they sell editions, and when those editions are sold, they commission another edition and series... why do you think they have 500 Norman Rockwells, etc. for sale at one time?

Yes, they water the actual pool down with thousands of copies, but most artwork you see, even in museums, is copies or prints..

Just a big game... and it isn't just Park West doing it.....

Artwork in general is a scam. And if you are sucker enough to buy artwork, thinking it's a million dollar original on a Carnival cruise line, while sipping cheap champagne next to a guy in flower shorts, you deserve what you get...

Edited by poison7fl