Medical Emergency on Cruises

DrGregB

I have just returned from a glorious 20 days on the Dawn Princess around PNG, Guadalcanal, Vanuatu and New Caledonia. My wife and I do around 4 Cruises a year, we have a tendency to stick with Princess as we know their processes very well. In Medical Emergencies onboard everyone has wild and fanciful stories and some really stick their noses in when people are in serious grief or shock, even taking photos and videos of people at the worst time of their life.

On the Cruise just completed we had gone ashore at Champagne Bay, (a glorious beach in Vanuatu), with 4 other Family members from my Wife's side. it was my birthday so we were in a heightened sense of fun and relaxation. I am a Dr (PhD) and also an Emergency Medical Technician with ACLS Training etc. I work in Pre Hospital Emergency Care in relation to Sport. I noticed the Ships Senior Dr. ashore on the beach under the beautiful shade trees with a Nurse treating a couple of young local children.

We went off, consumed a couple of lobsters for lunch, had a local beverage and were enjoying the magnificent area. My wife and I noticed a disturbance at the waters edge on the beach, I could see a male being dragged from the water. I ran down the beach and arrived at the patient (pt) about the same time the Ships Senior Dr and Nurses did. It was ascertained that the pt was not breathing, pulseless and in a state of asystole, no one could assist us with information on what had happened so we treated it as an unwitnessed arrest DESPITE there being hundreds in the water around this person BUT no one came forward.

Tragically his wife was there as well, my wife (who is also trained medically) took care of her as she went into shock. She witnessed the entire resus, she knew when we pronounced, after an extended period of resuscitation time that her husband was gone. I am not going into all the gory details of what we did to try and assist the pt, we could not get him back despite extensive interventions in the most terrible conditions of sun, cloud, water, sand and fast rising tide.

I have nothing but credit for the way Princess Medical Team not only handled themselves but the amount of equipment that was on the beach in case of this occurring. We wanted for nothing, ECG/Defib, ETT's, O2, suction, Cannula interventions, adrenalin and so on, they had it all there and it was with us to use instantly. Treatment was rendered within a couple of minutes of this man being dragged from the water.

My real concern was the terrible way a few of the 1,000 or more people on the beach that witnessed what happened behaved. Taking videos and photos, I dare say there are Facebook video posts now of us working feverishly to try and save this pt, it really upsets me to think that these people use this vision as part of their holiday clips..... I have done many resuscitations and it is always difficult but it really upset me to be jumping up and down on this mans chest to see some idiot zooming his video camera in on me let alone when we are trying to insert ETT's... The Crew and Staff were marvellous as they surrounded the area and held towels to try and prevent some of this from happening but people still tried to take invasive pictures.

The Ships Dr and I decided we would clear the beach so that we could wrap the deceased with dignity and transport him on a fast rib back to the Ship accompanied by his wife, I asked crew to clear people off the beach and out of the water around the awaiting fast rib, people didn't move. I realise that some may have been in shock but this was the lowest point for this poor Lady now being carried and placed into a boat beside her deceased husband.

Please people, if this happens to you and you cant assist medically then move on or at least stop the photo snappers. The next port my wife and I laid a small flower tribute in Vila at the bow of the ship for this poor family. My upmost professional respect for the great work of the Dawn Princess Senior Dr and his very capable Nursing Staff.

Greg Bath

Excellent post Dr.Greg, yes, having been involved in many emergency incidents myself during my career, the sticky beakers always disgusted me. No doubt at this incident the sticky beakers were a mix of Dawn Princess pax and other holiday people not from the ship.

Well done to you, your wife and the Medical team on board Dawn Princess.

Edited by NSWP

Thank you for your post. Our condolences to the family and thanks to people like yourself and the crew for your attempts to save lives. We had an emergency air lift on our Diamond Princess cruise earlier this year. Despite the Captain's continual request for no camera's to be used, the fools around us even though we were immediately under the rescue area, still decided that the photos were more important than the life of the patient, air crew and all other passengers. I am sure that they would be the first to complain if their loved ones were at the centre of the medical emergency.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Forums mobile app

Thanks DrGregB for reminding us all to be human and have compassion and empathy. I am sure the wife of the deceased was glad that both you and your wife along with the other medics were on hand to do what you could.

Sticky beakers will always be there to record what they feel is an exciting event but as you say if we are not helping directly, we should at least help indirectly by walking away.

Edited by MicCanberra

My wife and I were on the beach that day - very sad occasion. My wife is a nurse & she went to assist but could see there were plenty of people involved and was turned away as the area was being cleared.

I can't recall anyone taking photos/videos, but it sure would have been in poor taste.

Later on, we were talking to people at the other end of the beach, and the word was it was someone having a baby and no one knew (at that time) that it was such a tragic event.

Our thoughts are with the deceased's wife and family, and also the young man that first discovered the person in the water. He was rather in shock later that evening when my wife was talking to him and I hope the medical staff caught up with him for a de-brief as he did everything possible at the time.

The way the passengers and shore staff that responded was heartening to see.

Our thoughts are with the deceased's wife and family, and also the young man that first discovered the person in the water. He was rather in shock later that evening when my wife was talking to him and I hope the medical staff caught up with him for a de-brief as he did everything possible at the time.

The way the passengers and shore staff that responded was heartening to see.

My son assisted in bringing the man to shore. He was, as you noted, deeply affected by this tragic event. The senior DR on board Dawn provided (at no charge) counseling that afternoon on-board the ship. He also followed up 2 days later. Thanks to Dr Cameron and Princess.

RIP

Coincidently, a few years ago, also on board the Dawn Princess there was a medical emergency while we were heading home from The Cherry Blossom cruise. It happened off the coast of Cairns and the patient, who was diagnosed with a DVT and ? pulmonary embolus, was evacuated from the ship by helicopter. The bow of the ship was cleared of all passengers and a medical team was winched down onto the ship while the chopper hovered overhead and waited. Amazingly the ship remained at a fair rate of knots while this was happening. It was all done very professionally by the ship's crew and the medical team. Yes a huge crowd had gathered at every vantage point but were very quiet as the retrieval took place. As the poor unfortunate patient was winched into the chopper the passengers waved and clapped them on there way. Those around me were so impressed by the efficient, quick and safe way it was done they were full of praise for everyone involved. It's great to know that even on board a ship at sea we are in pretty good hands.

Coincidently, a few years ago, also on board the Dawn Princess there was a medical emergency while we were heading home from The Cherry Blossom cruise. It happened off the coast of Cairns and the patient, who was diagnosed with a DVT and ? pulmonary embolus, was evacuated from the ship by helicopter. The bow of the ship was cleared of all passengers and a medical team was winched down onto the ship while the chopper hovered overhead and waited. Amazingly the ship remained at a fair rate of knots while this was happening. It was all done very professionally by the ship's crew and the medical team. Yes a huge crowd had gathered at every vantage point but were very quiet as the retrieval took place. As the poor unfortunate patient was winched into the chopper the passengers waved and clapped them on there way. Those around me were so impressed by the efficient, quick and safe way it was done they were full of praise for everyone involved. It's great to know that even on board a ship at sea we are in pretty good hands.

We had a similar thing on the Infinity off the coast of Argentina earlier this year. Lots of people were taking photos of the helicopter but respectfully most (not all) put their cameras away when the patient was being uplifted.:D

I understand people wanting to show others what happened by way of pics, but its people like me that are acutely aware that at the other end of this there are someones loved ones that are trying to deal with what is happening, especially if it is a tragedy. As you can see by my post the Father of the Lad who assisted in dragging this gent from the water has commented, you never know who is watching or reading.

My son assisted in bringing the man to shore. He was, as you noted, deeply affected by this tragic event. The senior DR on board Dawn provided (at no charge) counseling that afternoon on-board the ship. He also followed up 2 days later. Thanks to Dr Cameron and Princess.

RIP

Please pass on my thanks to your son, Collin said he was trying to get around to people who assisted, including your Son. It can be very difficult for people who help in these circumstances. I certainly would suggest that your son may need further discussions to assist him. I have had trained Medics working under me that suffer badly from a resuscitation like this, it can haunt them for a long time. If your Son is suffering from this please let me know and I will give you a number to contact me so I can assist him or organise someone he can talk with locally.

Please pass on my thanks to your son, Collin said he was trying to get around to people who assisted, including your Son. It can be very difficult for people who help in these circumstances. I certainly would suggest that your son may need further discussions to assist him. I have had trained Medics working under me that suffer badly from a resuscitation like this, it can haunt them for a long time. If your Son is suffering from this please let me know and I will give you a number to contact me so I can assist him or organise someone he can talk with locally.

Thanks DrGregB for your kind words and your offer of assistance for my son. I will pass on your post to my son. To make matters worse, my son witnessed a motorcyclist being run over by a truck only 2 months previous. These sad incidents have deeply affected him.

Thanks DrGregB for your kind words and your offer of assistance for my son. I will pass on your post to my son. To make matters worse, my son witnessed a motorcyclist being run over by a truck only 2 months previous. These sad incidents have deeply affected him.

Young men seem to think they are 'bullet-proof' and he might brush off the way this might have affected him. I am sure you are giving him a lot of support and hugs but maybe he needs more. Please encourage him to get help. :)

Young men seem to think they are 'bullet-proof' and he might brush off the way this might have affected him. I am sure you are giving him a lot of support and hugs but maybe he needs more. Please encourage him to get help. :)

Agreed, everyone can have a differing reaction to a tragedy like this. There are trained professionals to help with situations like this and it may be just what he needs to help him through it.