Jewel of the Seas ~ B2B ~ Sept. 6th and 13th ~ My Diary

maxs mom

This is a great place to rent a jet ski! Dan and Donna did just that. They had a ball!! The prices were pretty reasonable...they will deal with you a little. I think they paid $40 for thirty minutes. We had fun watching them.

DSC_0433_zpscee03f37.jpg

DSC_0434_zps4521f7d8.jpg

DSC_0443_zps307ac724.jpg

DSC_0439_zps722c1fbd.jpg

DSC_0444_zps00ae656b.jpg

We will be on our first Royal Caribbean Cruise aboard the Jewel in March. I was already looking forward to it, but after reading your review, I am extremely excited. Do you have any tips for first time RCCers? Thanks!!

Congratulations on your first Royal Caribbean cruise. I think you will love it!

Well....one thing I already mentioned. When you get on board.....don't go immediately to the Windjammer for lunch. It will be a zoo. Wait until you get into your cabins at 1:00 and then go to lunch. It will have calmed down by then.

Don't feel like you have to make specialty restaurant reservations ahead of time. They always have plenty of slots available. You can get on board and then see when you feel like going. But be sure and go. They are wonderful!

Be sure and find the Seaview Café.

Take a large rubber band with you to put around the handle of the hair dryer. It will hold the button down for you and you don't have to:

DSC05445_zps87b12500.jpg

Also take a full sized bar of soap. The little hotel sized bars that they give you just don't cut it.

If I think of anything else, I'll let you know.

Beautiful sunset tonight:

DSC_0448_zpsecae44d5.jpg

DSC05107_zps7f4005a0.jpg

DSC05111_zps4850e861.jpg

Went to the CL around 7. Enjoyed drinks there and then went to Portofino for dinner tonight.

DSC05112_zps9234beb8.jpg

This is the bar tender in the CL, Joseph! He was absolutely fantastic. Always remembered what we wanted to drink and brought them to us without us even asking. He was taking all the liquor out of the CL this evening. It does not stay in there.

DSC05113_zps54ec8a1e.jpg

Next we made our way down to Deck 6 and Portofino. We were seated at a nice table by the window with a great view of the full moon.

DSC05184_zpsf7affa47.jpg

We knew exactly what we wanted and ordered right away. We both got Caesar salads. I got the tenderloin and John got the T-bone. We don't ever eat beef at home, so we make up for that on cruises!!

DSC05114_zps889a51e0.jpg

DSC05117_zps4617b597.jpg

I will have to remember to tell them not to put the sauce on my steak next week. It just makes it too salty.

DSC05116_zps4bc88374.jpg

John said his steak was quite tasty.

The couple sitting behind us was celebrating their 5th anniversary. I just happened to mention that this day was the anniversary of the day we met in 1983. Well....at dessert time, they brought us a nice dessert plate with "Happy Anniversary" on it and candles....and they sang for us, too. Ha! That was really neat!

DSC05118_zpsb75dd992.jpg

DSC05120_zps034f73dc.jpg

DSC05119_zps5560111c.jpg

I also ordered tiramisu and it was as wonderful as ever!

DSC05121_zps402f201d.jpg

I really hate to see them replacing all the Portofino's with Giovanni's Table.

After dinner we went to the theater to watch the Love and Marriage Game Show. It was just OK tonight. The middle couple was our very own Cruise Critic couple of Rebecca and Brian.....nice job, you guys......I thought you won, but they gave it to the oldest couple. This was our first time seeing the cruise director, Dennis Charles.

DSC05124_zps5602a8ce.jpg

After the show we wandered back to our cabin. Many folks were enjoying the music in the Centrum.

DSC05126_zps8495472f.jpg

When we got back to our cabin we found an invitation to have dinner with the Captain the next night. It had been slipped under our door. Nice!

Loving your review. We board Jewel on Saturday cruising the same ports as the second leg of your trip. Can't wait to read your reviews of those islands. Thanks for the tip about the rubber band for the hair dryer, after 18 cruises I had not even thought of that!!!

Edited by MA cruisers

We just got off Jewel yesterday!!! As a matter of fact, I saw you in the airport on Saturday, 9/20. Like you, we flew in on Southwest and as I was making my way through the terminal to baggage claim I saw you and thought that maybe we would be sailing together. Then I realized that you were flying home and not arriving, like me. At that point I knew a review would be coming. :)

We had My Time Dining and one of the nights we also had Kasa (from Turkey) as our waiter! Unfortunately we only had one night with him.

We also went to Valley Church Beach. It was my first time going there and I was so excited because of all the goods things I had read online.

Being in a Grand Suite, we also had the pleasure of meeting Diego. He was so great and very attentive. I don't know how he did it but he knew my name as soon as I walked into the CL on the first night. Oh, and he's quite a cutie too!!!

Looking forward to the rest of your review and pictures. Can't wait to see if we have other similarities.

Being in a Grand Suite, we also had the pleasure of meeting Diego. He was so great and very attentive. I don't know how he did it but he knew my name as soon as I walked into the CL on the first night. Oh, and he's quite a cutie too!!!

He takes your name, looks it up in the internal database that cross references the name with the picture that's taken when you board, and voila! - the concierge knows who you are before meeting you.

He takes your name, looks it up in the internal database that cross references the name with the picture that's taken when you board, and voila! - the concierge knows who you are before meeting you.

Still, pretty amazing doing this for all those new people every week!:)

After dinner we went to the theater to watch the Love and Marriage Game Show. It was just OK tonight. The middle couple was our very own Cruise Critic couple of Rebecca and Brian.....nice job' date=' you guys......I thought you won, but they gave it to the oldest couple. This was our first time seeing the cruise director, Dennis Charles.[/quote']

I enjoyed Dennis when we did Jewel in 2012, but this past Spring we had Carly and she did the Love and Marriage show in about 20 minutes between the first and 2nd seating of dinner. Was this at least later in the evening?

What beach is this? How much is the taxi fare?

Thanks!

Luv......this is Valley Church Beach in Antigua. The taxi fare was $8pp each way. The taxi drivers are very friendly here and most will not charge you until they pick you up and take you back to the port.

Loving your review. We board Jewel on Saturday cruising the same ports as the second leg of your trip. Can't wait to read your reviews of those islands. Thanks for the tip about the rubber band for the hair dryer, after 18 cruises I had not even thought of that!!!

Oh stay tuned.....the next week was amazing!!

LOL! I found out about that rubber band trick when another cruiser left it on a hairdryer on the Enchantment. I wondered why it was there.....and I soon figured it out. I always leave my rubber bands on there in hopes of helping of other cruisers. On the last review I did, someone said they were in the same cabin as us a couple of weeks later and it was there.

We just got off Jewel yesterday!!! As a matter of fact, I saw you in the airport on Saturday, 9/20. Like you, we flew in on Southwest and as I was making my way through the terminal to baggage claim I saw you and thought that maybe we would be sailing together. Then I realized that you were flying home and not arriving, like me. At that point I knew a review would be coming. :)

We had My Time Dining and one of the nights we also had Kasa (from Turkey) as our waiter! Unfortunately we only had one night with him.

We also went to Valley Church Beach. It was my first time going there and I was so excited because of all the goods things I had read online.

Looking forward to the rest of your review and pictures. Can't wait to see if we have other similarities.

Girl!!!! That is amazing! Why didn't you come and say hello!!? We were in the airport a long time that day!

We had Kasa almost every night and he was fabulous!

One day about mid cruise, this couple was sitting in the CL in the morning and Diego walked in and went right over to them and said, "Good morning Mr. & Mrs. (whatever). I haven't seen you yet."...and blah, blah, blah.....Apparently that was their first time in there. Amazing. Yes.....he does find your pictures and he knows who's supposed to be in his lounge! One of the best Concierges in the fleet for sure!!

It is amazing that they do that. It always makes me feel so good when the Concierge greets me by name every time I go in there. Not all of them do that. Some very rarely get up from behind their computer.

Im following along. Great review so far! I'll be doing this same itinerary on the Jewel as well in two weeks. Just wondering why my sailing lists St. Croix first before St. Marten. Loving the pictures!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

These itineraries on the Jewel switch up quite often. We are going again in Nov/Dec and the itineraries are very different.

I am really enjoying your diary. My husband and I will be joining the Jewel in November. We've never visited any of the ports before, so your tips and recommendations will be most useful. Thank you :)

You are in for a real treat. These islands are great!!

I enjoyed Dennis when we did Jewel in 2012, but this past Spring we had Carly and she did the Love and Marriage show in about 20 minutes between the first and 2nd seating of dinner. Was this at least later in the evening?

Dennis has been around a long time!! He knows his stuff. Yes...the L&M was done around 10:30, I think. He kind of dragged it out just a little too long, though.