Roatan Havana Beach Club

Guest 2000

Roatan Havana Beach Club was mentioned in Trip Advisor.

The web site is not working properly. I found this slideshow.

The place looks lovely, shallow clean water, a boat to take people to the reef for snorkeling.

Has anyone been?

I haven't been but from the photos and descriptions, looks and sounds just like Palm Beach Resort to me, which I had thought about going to at one time.

Maybe new owners/management, or just renamed after problems earlier in the year.

We spend lots of time in Roatan each year.

We’ve never eaten there, but.....

Havana Beach Club has a new chef.

And we know the chef and he is amazing.

He makes the best Lion Fish ever.

We will be there in December on a cruise, then we’ll be there for an extended winter stay.

Havana Beach Club will be our very first stop.

I really think you will love the food.

Second choice - if you’d like a small beach, pool, outdoor bar & good food - Castaways Bar & Grill at Wilson’s Blue Lagoon.

It is on the main road, not far from the airport.

They have changing rooms, shade, cold beer & drinks, etc.

You also have Cal’s, Cafe Escondido, and many, many more.....

We will be there in December on a cruise, then we’ll be there for an extended winter stay.

Second choice - if you’d like a small beach, pool, outdoor bar & good food - Castaways Bar & Grill at Wilson’s Blue Lagoon.

Since you seem to be familiar with the local establishments perhaps you can confirm if it is in fact Palm Beach, or if it is another location?

If it is Palm Beach, is it under new management, or just new chef in new restaurant? Where has the chef moved from?

Thanks for the recommendation for Castaways. I hadn't heard of that one before. I had a look at their website and looks like a good place to try in the future. Not really looking for a restaurant recommendations when we are on a cruise ship but a small beach bar close to the port looks good. I guess this is close to Las Palmas?

We have not been to Havana Beach Club, but we know the chef at the restaurant.

He is awesome.

There is a cover charge for the beach, but not for the restaurant.

It is toward the East end of the island, which is much quieter and not as crowded as the West End. The beaches at the East End - one the north side - tends to be very beautiful and quiet.

We are going in December and we will probably try this.

If not, we’ll be back in January for an extended stay & we’ll definitely go then.

If you cruise into Coxen Hole, I would try Castaways at Wilson’s Blue Lagoon.

It is much closer and is very nice. No cover charge, just order food and/or drinks. It is also quiet.

From Mahogany Bay, both spots are around 15 to 20 minutes away.

Hope this helps.

Judy

Edited by Travel Junkie Judy

We have not been to Havana Beach Club, but we know the chef at the restaurant.

He is awesome.

There is a cover charge for the beach, but not for the restaurant.

It is toward the East end of the island, which is much quieter and not as crowded as the West End. The beaches at the East End - one the north side - tends to be very beautiful and quiet.

We are going in December and we will probably try this.

If not, we’ll be back in January for an extended stay & we’ll definitely go then.

If you cruise into Coxen Hole, I would try Castaways at Wilson’s Blue Lagoon.

It is much closer and is very nice. No cover charge, just order food and/or drinks. It is also quiet

From Mahogany Bay, both spots are around 15 to 20 minutes away.

Hope this helps.

Judy

So, I did some more research & this is in WEST END, not toward the east.

As I mentioned, we’ve not been here YET.

We just know the chef.

It is convenient to either port, as is Castaways.

So, I did some more research & this is in WEST END, not toward the east.

As I mentioned, we’ve not been here YET.

We just know the chef.

It is convenient to either port, as is Castaways.

Thanks so much for returning to this thread. I think we will certainly look out for Castaways when we don't want to travel too far.

There still seems to be some confusion over the location of Havana Beach Club and not sure if we are all talking about the same place, if you know of one in West End. I have also been doing further research. The website seems to be up and running now and describes the location as "just past Black Pearl Golf Club", which would put it further west than I thought. Tripadvisor says, Milton Bight. However I found a YouTube advert which seemed to confirm "Havana Beach Club aka Palm Beach" so now I am fairly convinced they are the same place and on the north shore.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks so much for returning to this thread. I think we will certainly look out for Castaways when we don't want to travel too far.

There still seems to be some confusion over the location of Havana Beach Club and not sure if we are all talking about the same place, if you know of one in West End. I have also been doing further research. The website seems to be up and running now and describes the location as "just past Black Pearl Golf Club", which would put it further west than I thought. Tripadvisor says, Milton Bight. However I found a YouTube advert which seemed to confirm "Havana Beach Club aka Palm Beach" so now I am fairly convinced they are the same place and on the north shore.

I will try to contact Jack - chef.

If I can find his email, he will clear this up.

My last search showed it in West End. ???

It IS confusing.

Judy

I sent emails two weeks ago to both Havana Beach Club and Castaways for further information. Followed up with a second email to both a week later.

Unfortunately no replies to to any of my emails so far so it seems neither of these new locations want to encourage new business from cruisers.

I sent emails two weeks ago to both Havana Beach Club and Castaways for further information. Followed up with a second email to both a week later.

Unfortunately no replies to to any of my emails so far so it seems neither of these new locations want to encourage new business from cruisers.

Not to defend, but the restaurant at Havana Beach just reopened a few days ago.

I don’t know why Wilson’s doesn’t answer.

I will try.

Judy

• 2 weeks later...

Havana Beach Club is the new name for what was formerly known as Palm Beach. As former residents of Roatan who have relocated, we spent a happy time or two on Palm Beach:). HBC is about a 10 minute ride East of Pristine Bay and very close to Cal's Cantina (best food on Roatan - we ate there often enough that's for sure!). I probably would beach it at HBC and then head to Cal's for lunch - the food and the views cannot be matched!

Havana Beach Club is the new name for what was formerly known as Palm Beach. As former residents of Roatan who have relocated, we spent a happy time or two on Palm Beach:). HBC is about a 10 minute ride East of Pristine Bay and very close to Cal's Cantina (best food on Roatan - we ate there often enough that's for sure!). I probably would beach it at HBC and then head to Cal's for lunch - the food and the views cannot be matched!

Thank you so much for the information.

Do you know if Cal's Cantina was once The View?

No - The View Restaurant closed 4 years ago and is now just a stopping point for pictures and some kiosks selling Island made goods. Carl (owner/chef of Cal's) built his restaurant several years ago and has already expanded once! Heading East, drive about 2 miles PAST the View. Cal's will be on the right hand side of the road. Cannot tell you how yummy his food is - if lobster scampi is on the menu, ORDER IT!

Is this correct for location?

Cal's Cantina is on the right between The View and turn off for Parrot Tree Plantation? Then, you follow the road across the island and turn off left to Havana Beach Club, before turn off to Turquoise Bay?

Edited by c-leg5

Is this correct for location?

Cal's Cantina is on the right between The View and turn off for Parrot Tree Plantation? Then, you follow the road across the island and turn off left to Havana Beach Club, before turn off to Turquoise Bay?

Cal's (BEST food on the island) is past the Parrot Tree on the right and Havana Beach Club is beyond that. There are signs (unless it still says Palm Beach) The turn off ifor Havana BC is on the left before you get to Turquoise Bay - also on left.

If I remember correctly, The view is before Parrot Tree & is on the left. The shops there are only open when ships are in port. You can't miss the view there is a turn to the right & then you'll see the shanty shops.

We live there in January & February and this will be our 3rd year.

I's a different island when there are no ships.

We will be there in December on the NCL JEWEL to check & see how our friends are doing.

I still enjoy Castaways at Blue Lagoon. Small beach, volley ball court in the great sand - medium to small pool and hot tub.

Great bar. Clean changing rooms. great food & no cover charge for using pool, court dressing rooms. Just gotta eat or drink there.

Judy

Judy thanks so much for the info. I envy you ever since I visited roatan 7 years ago on a cruise I've wanted to live there. Probably should have opened up a business back then as the island has really developed! Does the beach at castaways and the Havana beach club compare to paya bay on the east end at all? We were there a few years ago and loved it but it's a long drive on the short cruise schedule.

Are there any hiking trails or secluded beaches you recommend? I always try to stay way off the beaten path which used to be easy in roatan but it's alot different now! Any parks,or places to swim,hike, or little places to eat?Ill have a rental car and have driven on the island before so I'm excited to find some new places, especially on the north and east ends.

Judy thanks so much for the info. I envy you ever since I visited roatan 7 years ago on a cruise I've wanted to live there. Probably should have opened up a business back then as the island has really developed! Does the beach at castaways and the Havana beach club compare to paya bay on the east end at all? We were there a few years ago and loved it but it's a long drive on the short cruise schedule.

Are there any hiking trails or secluded beaches you recommend? I always try to stay way off the beaten path which used to be easy in roatan but it's alot different now! Any parks,or places to swim,hike, or little places to eat?Ill have a rental car and have driven on the island before so I'm excited to find some new places, especially on the north and east ends.

Have you been to La Sirena de Camp Bay? It is at the far East end - beyond Paya Bay.

It is a restaurant that is probably the most secluded on the island. It is rank #7 of 143 on the island. Jimmy & his Honduran wife run it and we love it for peace and quiet. They have a beach and you can get a ride out to snorkel. It takes longer from Coxen Hole - NCL & ?? Mahogany Bay - Carnival and ?? Check Trip A has photos & so does their web site.

I would allow an hour to be safe, but it is worth the drive. The restaurant sits out over the water. Check it out on Trip Ad.

I have not been to Havana Beach Club, but plan to go when we get there. La Sirena has NO cover charge. There is a charge for Havana Beach - or so I am told. The Beach looks prettier at Havana, but I don't know how crowded. I can almost guarantee there will be few people at La Sirena - there are only a few tables. Almost no one from the ships heads east.

Castaways at Wilson's Blue Lagoon is closer. The beach is small - it is in a cove. Good sand (brought in) but we did not go in the water. There were not many people there when we were there in February. Fun volleyball court. Nice pool - not very big. Nice hot tub attached to pool.

Nice clean dressing rooms. Google them. Web site is Wilsons Blue Lagoon.

If you want to stay in West End - try Tita's Pink Seahorse. VERY Nice beach. Local food. Never saw cruise ship folks, but locals love it - mostly late afternoon I think. That's when we go. It can be hard to find. It's at the end of the road (turing left at entrance to West End.) It's after the pavement ends. Locals can tell you how to find it.

If you want to stay close but somewhat remote, I'd say Tita's or Castaways. Tita's has a long beach that joins others, but I don't think it gets crowded. We tend to avoid most places until late afternoon on cruise ship days, so I'm not sure.

Judy

I must be confused about where Tia's is.. I was back there one day.. the beach looked very small with a volleyball court covering most of it, and so many piers would not bother to get in the water.

Now then, it is a delightful place with many interesting people, local children having a grand time of it but if you wish a beautiful beach with relaxing and swimming I would not recommend the place I know as Tia's.

As a disclaimer, I am a beach snob. I want fluffy white sand, clear blue water and enough of a view I can ignore the whole of the world.

I must be confused about where Tia's is.. I was back there one day.. the beach looked very small with a volleyball court covering most of it, and so many piers would not bother to get in the water.

Now then, it is a delightful place with many interesting people, local children having a grand time of it but if you wish a beautiful beach with relaxing and swimming I would not recommend the place I know as Tia's.

As a disclaimer, I am a beach snob. I want fluffy white sand, clear blue water and enough of a view I can ignore the whole of the world.

Are you referring to TITA's or TIA"S?

I meant TITA'S PINK SEAHORSE. Far West End.

They have a Facebk page.

Maybe we mean 2 different places.

If you mean Tita's, then you must be very picky. LOL

Check Trp Adv or this review:

happytravels.com/hidden-gems-of-roatan-titas-pink-flamingo-restaurant/

Judy

I know very little about hiking though Paya Bay offers a local guide to take people up a hill near their property. I love Paya Bay, with the beaches and coves.

Carambola Gardens has a nice nature trail with an amazing view but it is very close to West End.

The last time I was in Palmetto Bay, Marbella still had not been developed. The only way I know to get there is to walk the beach from Palmetto toward West End. It is picture postcard beautiful but there is not so much as a port a potty much less anything else.

I know very little about hiking though Paya Bay offers a local guide to take people up a hill near their property. I love Paya Bay, with the beaches and coves.

Carambola Gardens has a nice nature trail with an amazing view but it is very close to West End.

The last time I was in Palmetto Bay, Marbella still had not been developed. The only way I know to get there is to walk the beach from Palmetto toward West End. It is picture postcard beautiful but there is not so much as a port a potty much less anything else.

I forgot about Carambola Gardens.

It is beautiful, but I've never been on a cruise ship day.

Check out their web page.

If I went, I'd go first thing in the AM, right when they open.

Hours are 8 AM to 5 PM.

Get off the ship & go there first.

*Just my opinion.

Judy

Are you referring to TITA's or TIA"S?

I meant TITA'S PINK SEAHORSE. Far West End.

They have a Facebk page.

Maybe we mean 2 different places.

If you mean Tita's, then you must be very picky. LOL

Check Trp Adv or this review:

happytravels.com/hidden-gems-of-roatan-titas-pink-flamingo-restaurant/

Judy

Apologies, yes that is the place..see the volleyball court on the sand in blue? I was only over there once and the volleyball was going full bore.. not the least bit relaxing. I s'pose one's enjoyment is effected by so very many things. I would not hesitate to go for food but spending the day seeking quiet.. nahh.

Diversity makes the world go round. Good on you for finding a spot you love.