San Francisco excursions

Grammy J

We love old Victorian homes. what is the best way to see the "Painted Ladies"? We used to have a book showcasing them and used it as a guide to pick our paint colors when we lived in one of the grand ladies in Illinois.

There are literally hundreds of gorgeous Victorians in various parts of The City. The ones you're probably thinking of, the row on Alamo Square, are famous because they've been photographed so many times and used in TV shows, and because they have downtown in the background, not because they're any more magnificent than many others in neighborhoods like the Mission and Liberty Hill. Heck, I can look out my window and see lovely Victorians, and I'm miles away from "the Painted Ladies."

Because so many tourists want to see those same few houses, the neighborhood has become inundated with tour buses, to the chagrin of those who actually live there. Therefore, tour bus visits are being restricted. My suggestion would either be to grab a taxi to Alamo Square Park or just hop on the 21 Hayes bus, which goes right there.

Edited by shepp

There are literally hundreds of gorgeous Victorians in various parts of The City. The ones you're probably thinking of, the row on Alamo Square, are famous because they've been photographed so many times and used in TV shows, and because they have downtown in the background, not because they're any more magnificent than many others in neighborhoods like the Mission and Liberty Hill. Heck, I can look out my window and see lovely Victorians, and I'm miles away from "the Painted Ladies."

Because so many tourists want to see those same few houses, the neighborhood has become inundated with tour buses, to the chagrin of those who actually live there. Therefore, tour bus visits are being restricted. My suggestion would either be to grab a taxi to Alamo Square Park or just hop on the 21 Hayes bus, which goes right there.

Thanks!

As a Bay Area resident, I would recommend that you try some exquisite meals in any number of our outstanding restaurants with food from everywhere (that's the major form of entertainment here...try Dosa on Mission or Fillmore for South Indian or go for Dim-sum at Yank Sing or get a window table with a view of the Bay at Slanted Door, a Vietnamese restaurant in the Ferry Building at the bottom of Market Street...our Main Street) and avoid the tourist traps.

As much as I agree, and as good as your suggestions are, realistically speaking, most people who visit here are more likely to want to shop for dreck at Pier 39 than tell their friends back home, "I ate the most delicious idli sambar at Dosa!"

One problem with threads like this is that the OP rarely pins down what the questioner is most interested in. If someone is into Asian art, then of course the Asian Art Museum, one of the greatest in the Western World, is a must-see. But many people couldn't care less about statues of Shiva.

I, for instance, might suggest getting a gourmet picnic lunch and making a day of it in Golden Gate Park, visiting the stunningly designed DeYoung Museum (with great views from the free-to-access tower) the lovely Conservatory of Flowers, the Japanese Tea Garden, and the pricey-but-fascinating science museum, all within walking distance of one another, and wrapping it up with a stroll through the Arboretum. On Sundays, when JFK Drive is closed off to cars and filled with roller bladers and bikers, even better. But hey, when we go to new places, we're the sort who usually check out museums, not Margaritaville.

By the bye, most "Alcatraz cruises" just circle around the island and don't let passengers off there, and right now, those interested in the arts can check out installations by a Chinese dissident artist in the prison buildings.

Oh, and the free PresidiGo Shuttle will take passengers from downtown on a scenic route that includes stops at or near the Golden Gate Bridge, the Palace of Fine Arts, the Disney Family Museum, Lucasfilm HQs, the historic Presidio buildings, and the walkway along Crissy Field, with its great views of the GGB and Alcatraz.

Edited by shepp

Oh, and the free PresidiGo Shuttle will take passengers...

Sorry. Just to be totally accurate, a transfer is necessary in the Presidio to get from downtown to all the places mentioned.

Edited by shepp

Hummmm I've taken a few Alcatraz Cruises and they always involved a tour of the prison .... We always got off!

There's only one company - Alcatraz Cruises - given permission to land passengers on the island. There ore other cruise companies that take you "around Alcatraz," though, and for those with mobility difficulties or limited time, that might suffice.

Oh, and any other tour companies selling trips to the island are just resellers of Alcatraz Cruises tickets at a mark-up.

Edited by shepp

No get my tickets right down in the pier .... Huge building and I think possibly trips to Alcatraz is all they sell as you immediately go thru the turn style and onto the boat!!

A very interesting trip :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We just booked the Infinity 17 day Panama Canal out of San Francisco for Sept 18, 2015 and are now looking for a hotel for 3 nights precruise. Kind of having sticker shock at the hotel prices. Anyone have any recommendations for a small boutique type hotel?

Thanks

Gail and Nels

We just booked the Infinity 17 day Panama Canal out of San Francisco for Sept 18, 2015 and are now looking for a hotel for 3 nights precruise. Kind of having sticker shock at the hotel prices. Anyone have any recommendations for a small boutique type hotel?

Thanks

Gail and Nels

Gail try the Coventry Motor Inn on 1901 Lombard St.

Very close to everything.

They have wonderful reviews on trip advisor. (check it out)

We booked through their site for our stay, which is in mid March, for after our cruise.

• 1 month later...

Hi Everyone,

This is an interesting thread for sure. What about winter time ?

We have a couple of nights at the Grant Plaza Hotel near the end of January which I believe is at China Town brfore we do a 10 night cruise on the Star Princess and then return to S.F. (Club Quarters) for one night before joining the Queen Elizabeth on the 8th feb.

As we are from New Zealand which is in mid summer at that time of year , we will find S.F. cold , we think. So, with that in mind and the fact that my wife has limited mobility , what tours would anyone recommend ?

We are not interested in boat/ferry trips as we have plenty at home. Over view of S.F. with reasonable pricing would suit , so any one experienced any good companies that do half day or full day trips ?

• 3 weeks later...
As much as I agree, and as good as your suggestions are, realistically speaking, most people who visit here are more likely to want to shop for dreck at Pier 39 than tell their friends back home, "I ate the most delicious idli sambar at Dosa!"

Not this tourist! Saw the seals, early morning at Pier 39 but didn't actually do the pier. However, I did go to the DeYoung where I saw a Chichuly installation and also went to see Frida Khalo's work at SFMOMA. Spectacular! I was searching around for something special this April but as yet, haven't found it. I am also on a search for a little french bistro where I had an amazing lunch. Hopefully, I'll run into it again.

Hi sassyredhat, we are on the October 3rd. sailing out of San Pedro. Less than a year to go! We have been waiting for rccl to have a coastal cruise like this one. Have a great Sunday. Jan

Hi Jan.. Nice to chat with you again. :)

We are land locked until March.

We booked 2 ships city tours, as we have mobility issues. We took one city tour in Nov and it was very enjoyable.

Patti

Jewel has never done the itinerary before. There is no one with direct experience.

I did a hop on hop off trolley in San Francisco several years ago on a Celebrity cruise - may be someone who has done it recently and can comment. I didn't have a night option but did enjoy the sight seeing .

Glad to see there are some fun options for San Francisco. We are so looking forward to the stop there. My brother and SIL will be with us and all of us are beyond excited. Just a little over 9 months until our coastal cruise! Cheers!!

Jan

We have 5 days in San Francisco in Sep 15. The responses on this post have been amazing and I'm sure we won't have a moment to spare. If my daughter has her way we'll do a walk over the Golden Gate before we do the cruise from Bridge to Bridge (Sydney). Thanks to all for your advice.

Thanks

Gail and Nels

Check out priceline for 4* hotels. San Francisco has great public transit (busses and trolleys). The financial district will get you easy access to transportation. You want to be near the center of the city (not Richmond, Japan Town, or the Avenues). Before you book see how close you are to the 'Tenderloin'. Not an area to walk around late at night. Taxis are reasonable and usually easy to flag down.

We like the Marina area with the 'Chelsea' Inn chain not at all fancy (2*) but convenient to transit. Great neighborhood restaurants. We lived in the city for 5 years so we spend less on the room and more on the entertainment and food. If you have time - see a show - maybe the long running Beach Babylon (Hat Show). If you are into the blues and don't mind dive bars the original Saloon is an interesting place to have a cheap drink or two.

Thanks

Gail and Nels

We stayed at the Hotel Mayflower on Bush Street. Convenient location, good public transportation. Less than $150 per night. Check it out on Tripadvisor.

Rick