Which side of plane to see Mount Rainier?

CruisinMama7

Assuming your flight approaches Seattle from the south, I'd sit on the right side (starboard). Just before Mt Rainier will also see Mt St Helens and Mt Adams is just behind it.

But sitting on the left side also provides nice views too; Puget Sound, the islands, boats/ships and the Olympic Mtn range in the background.

I flew in from Dallas last sept and sat on the left side and we came in from the east. All the notable mountains were on the lest side of the plane. (the pilot pointed them out to us. I have pics some where). Probably just depends on weather and what route the plane takes.

I play golf with about 10 Alaska pilots and they say it depends on more than one factor. Sometimes the plane lands to the south and other times it lands to the north. It is a crap shoot according to them.
Landing to the north or to the south depends on the wind direction. Most of our wind comes from the south, so they land from the north. (On warm summer days the wind tends to come from the north, hence they land to the north.) However the standard approach from the east vectors north of Mount Rainier; it's after that that the base and final approach directions are determined.

Landing to the north or to the south depends on the wind direction. Most of our wind comes from the south, so they land from the north. (On warm summer days the wind tends to come from the north, hence they land to the north.) However the standard approach from the east vectors north of Mount Rainier; it's after that that the base and final approach directions are determined.

I just posted what they told me.:)

Flying into and out of SeaTac 4 - 6 times a year the majority of the time planes land from the north which generally mean that the port side is the best views. Taking off is usually to the south which also means the port side is the best views of Rainier. But as said sometimes the winds change and landing is the opposite.

Much gratitude for all responses! I'm not a frequent flyer so I will be a window watcher.:o We're booked left side (port) for both legs of the flight so I will remain where we are presently seated. Sounds like it is a toss of the coin. It really doesn't matter where I'm seated just as long as I get to Alaska!