Golden Princess - Pacific Coast Getaway through the eyes of a blue card holder!

Tapi

Is there any kind of enrichment stuff on these 3- and 4-day coastals, or do they just kind of figure that's unnecessary on a trip to Hussong's and back?

This 4 night cruise was very casual, and I don't recall any enrichment lectures or activities listed on the Patter. Also, there were no formal nights (all evening were classified as smart casual). In addition, the list of shore excursions was fairly short, at least compared to the list at other destinations that we've been to. There were maybe 4-5 excursions total per port of call. I don't know if the limited number of excursions was due to the short duration of the cruise or simply because that's all that these destinations had to offer.

Overall, the cruise was excellent for a short, relaxing getaway, but I don't know if those looking for a more well rounded experience that included the elements traditionally found on longer itineraries would've enjoyed it as much as we did.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

This 4 night cruise was very casual, and I don't recall any enrichment lectures or activities listed on the Patter.

Thanks, Tapi. That was my suspicion. While I love cruising, I've been disappointed in general with cruise lines' offerings in the way of lectures and educational classes, but my one pleasant surprise was a 7-day Princess cruise to the Mexican Riviera. They had a survival-type Spanish class.

I guess I still think back to when my parents were cruising in the 1970s and 80s and every cruise offered such things. Of course, they didn't have 4-night cruises to Baja.

Jim

Temperature throughout the ship was consistently comfortable. We didn't find any venue to be "too cold" or "too warm". In our stateroom, I was happy that the thermostat was very responsive to temperature change commands.

I was grateful to have a fall jacket with me though as the temperature on outdoor decks, specially at night and early in the morning, was a bit on the chilly side.

Thanks for all the well wishes! :)

We were on the same cruise! In fact, I'm pretty sure your lovely sunset shot was taken from below our balcony (on Dolphin). We were in the Donatello dining room, early traditional. The last two nights our table was freezing! I think it may have been beneath a vent.

On a side note, the Australian couple you sat with, were their names Mick and Stacy?(or something close to that) We watched the marriage match game the last night and there was an Australian couple who were absolutely hilarious!

Hi Tapi,

Just wondered what cabin number you

Please pardon me for not sharing my specific stateroom number. I have learned (the hard way) that providing ship, sail date, AND stateroom number is not a good idea in these forums. :o

On a side note, the Australian couple you sat with, were their names Mick and Stacy?

I know that her name was Stacey but I don't remember his name. I wouldn't be surprised if it is them. They were a very entertaining and outgoing couple, and kept everyone at our table engaged in conversation and laughing. :)

Hi Tapi,

Just wondered what cabin number you had when on the Golden Princess,

as haven't seen many Oceanview cabins on the ship that are not Obscured?

Cheers

Pete & Carol

Post #46 on this thread has a link to a site that shows actual views from every obscured OV cabin on the Golden and most other Princess ships. Many are not very obscured at all!

Please pardon me for not sharing my specific stateroom number. I have learned (the hard way) that providing ship, sail date, AND stateroom number is not a good idea in these forums. :o

:eek:

A bit OT: I've wondered if it is wise for Princess to place passenger names at the cabin doors from a security standpoint? Perhaps just initials for those who tend to forget their cabin #s would be better.

A bit OT: I've wondered if it is wise for Princess to place passenger names at the cabin doors from a security standpoint?

I thought that it was a nice touch, but the question about security concerns did cross my mind briefly. I guess if someone is REALLY concerned, they can always remove the little tag as soon as they get to their cabin for the first time.

The thing that I did like about those tags was was walking down the hallway and getting a feel for how many past guests and their levels were onboard.

I thought that it was a nice touch, but the question about security concerns did cross my mind briefly. I guess if someone is REALLY concerned, they can always remove the little tag as soon as they get to their cabin for the first time.

The thing that I did like about those tags was was walking down the hallway and getting a feel for how many past guests and their levels were onboard...

I like seeing guest levels as well. I was thinking they could keep the current tags with level on them, but instead of "Mr. William Jones" it could say "Mr. W. J." or "Mr. William J." for those who have forgotten the cabin # they are looking for.

Edited by Ryndam2002

Thanks for your great review, it was nice that you included pictures. We are on the Golden in two weeks for the same itinerary. We live between Santa Barbara and the port so these short cruises are perfect for us. Last year we also did the La Bufadora trip and are going to do it again this time with our kids.

Side note, we took our boys with us on a 7 day Mexican cruise with Princess for our 10th and created cruising monsters! Just celebrated our 19th. Glad you enjoyed Princess!

As always, great and detailed review. I was pretty sure you'd enjoy Princess. They are a step above. Congrats on 10 years. We are headed out on Princess in a couple of weeks to celebrate 38 years.

Thanks! I do remember you saying that we would like it. And I agree. Princess is a step above. Congrats on your 38 years! Gives me something to look forward to. :)

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi Tapi,

Thanks for posting such a great review with very impressive photos.

We've cruised twice with Princess and loved both of them. We're only cruising P&O this next time as my wife wanted to try a different company. If it were down to me, we'd have stuck with Princess.

Cheers,

Rob.

• 5 months later...

Thank you for your good photo review...could your share what you have learned the hard way? :):):):)

• 2 weeks later...
I believe all obstructed OVs on the Golden are on Emerald deck. Some are far more obstructed than others. You can get a better look here:

https://sites.google.com/site/cabinviewbyrenmar/home

Thanks a lot for your link to Emerald Deck on the Golden. Our cabin view has a clear spot in the middle, not that we will be there that much.