One thing, you just don't want to miss on a cruise?

Dunderess

Hi all cruise enthusiasts!

On October 4th, I and my husband go on our very first cruise. We'll go with MSC Preziosa, route: Venice, Bari, Olympia, Izmir, Istanbul and Dubrovnik.

Now I'm wondering and hoping to get some responses from you, more experienced, out there:

Tell me, One thing, you just don't want to miss on a cruise?

Looking forward to your reply.

On October 4th, I and my husband go on our very first cruise. We'll go with MSC Preziosa, route: Venice, Bari, Olympia, Izmir, Istanbul and Dubrovnik.

Now I'm wondering and hoping to get some responses from you, more experienced, out there:

The shows at night!!! :D

Without a doubt - departure from Venice.

This the #1 show.

Unfortunately MSC Fantasia ships are not "sea views friendly". Views forward is a privilege of YC guests and even there it's as limited as views from inside observation lounge.

So you'll need to find an acceptable viewing position so that you don't miss the best part of the cruise.

Don't stay on your balcony.

Viewing areas on the Divina marked in green:

39_zpsc2cd4549.jpg~original

Upper deck mid ship will be crowded.

I would be on the aft pool deck (port side) or on a small open area in the aft corner (deck 13 or 12 port side).

Our departure from Venice.

Views made possible thanks to a beautiful forward observation deck on Costa ship:

[YOUTUBE]gKc6DvRwZUE[/YOUTUBE]

Enjoy your cruise!

Having done this cruise twice this year - May and August - believe me, you do not want to miss the sailaway from Venice. Make sure you're on the port side. If you're fortunate enough to have a balcony cabin with an odd number you'll be in the best spot possible to enjoy an amazing experience of sailing down the Grand Canal!

Another vote for the Venice sailaway!

Also the sail down the Bosphorous at Istanbul is rather good too with all the Western archetchture on one side and very Eastern on the other.

Breakfast on your balcony is great too, weather permitting

Beamafar,

We have a balcony cabin on deck 12, but unfortunately even numbered. Which means that I'll have to get up early on the entrance sailing and see Venice in the morning light... ;-)

Yes - absolutely - you'll have that alright! I was very fortunate to be able to view the arrival into Venice from the Top Sail Lounge (forward viewing) but it really is better to view it from the side.

I also agree with Mairi (Amomondo) about the sail into and out of Istanbul. I love when others remind me of things like this.

Thanks for the tip. I will be on the same cruise but 18th oct instead.. so is it bettr from my balcony (yc 15030) or from the topsail?

Not got time to look up cabin location on the dek plans right now, but you need to be on port (left side of the ship) even numbers are normally Starboard. I'm not familiar with Te YC, so numbering there may be different.

I prefer to be on my balcony if I'm on port side as you get a better view and can take pictures easier as not lots of other passengers milling around. Again Top Sail may be different. Best view in my opinion is more looking tonthe left side than straight ahead.

Yes, Venice either leaving or arriving, if it isn't foggy. Go freelance (no organised tour) in Istanbul, wander the backstreets and finish with a hamam (Turkish bath). The buskers of Dubrovnik - most of very fine music students. wander down to the old port. Ephesus (from Izmir) is a must - possibly the finest ancient site in the World. Be up early and on deck to see Venice at her most beautiful as you return. Don't forget the ship - some quality time aboard while others are ashore can be a highlight too. Lunch in the MDR on a port day, a jacuzzi before breakfast, cocktails on the stern for a private sail away, a daily visit for something different at the Vitamin Bar, freshly squeezed orange juice and a Marochino with breakfast .....

Edited by Skipper Tim

Hi dundress..we can organise a meeting if you like. We are staying in the yacht club so not sure how likely we will run into each other. We are my husband and 3 year old daughter..we might stick out..mixed race family ..One english black girl..One aussie white guy and an italian toddler..hahha

Thanks for the tip. I will be on the same cruise but 18th oct instead.. so is it bettr from my balcony (yc 15030) or from the topsail?

Top Sail for the sailaway - balcony for the arrival. The great thing about YC is you're not under pressure to vacate your cabin early on debarkation day :)

Edited by Beamafar

Why limit yourself, take all these suggestions in!:D

What a great idea! I will try to implement all good suggestions for our trip from the departure & arrival of Venice,

a jacuzzi before breakfast,

breakfast on our private balcony,

quality time aboard on the ship with lunch in the MDR,

Ephesus (already booked a tour)

a drink watching the sun set at sea,

the shows at night,

a daily visit for something different at the Vitamin Bar (my favorite so far, so unexpected :-),

the sail down the Bosphorous at Istanbul (sounds great),

hamam in Istanbul,

the old port of Dubrovnik,

cocktails on the stern,

freshly squeezed orange juice and a Marochino with breakfast.

Thanks for all the great tips on value-added cruising!

Keep them coming!

Without a doubt - departure from Venice.

This the #1 show.

Unfortunately MSC Fantasia ships are not "sea views friendly". Views forward is a privilege of YC guests and even there it's as limited as views from inside observation lounge.

So you'll need to find an acceptable viewing position so that you don't miss the best part of the cruise.

Don't stay on your balcony.

Upper deck mid ship will be crowded.

I would be on the aft pool deck (port side) or on a small open area in the aft corner (deck 13 or 12 port side).

Our departure from Venice.

Views made possible thanks to a beautiful forward observation deck on Costa ship:

[YOUTUBE]gKc6DvRwZUE[/YOUTUBE]

Enjoy your cruise!

As you can see from the video there is no disadvantage to not having "sea views" when leaving Venice the things to see are on the port side - we followed a Costa Ship out when we left on the Magnifica and we could see it in front of us and the best views from the deck above Lido deck. It wasn't too crowded and was absolutely FABULOUS. It is the most magical of journeys and we have put a repeat at the top of our bucket list. This time in a corner suite at the front of the ship so I will let you know the difference, if any when I get back.

Edited by Janet&Carl

The Orchestra class ships have a kind of observation decks forward. The Fantasia class does not.

This video is just a window - probably 1/5 of what we could see enjoying panoramic views from absolutely beautiful forward observation deck on Costa.

This is a must for sail away from Venice.

Another description for proper forward observation decks: "I can see what the Capitan can see".:)

Edited by cruisetrail

I have a picture that shows the view from Magnifica - but I don't have the knowledge of how to add pictures to my posts. I have tried to attach it :)and maybe it will work. With the internet at our fingertips we can all cherry pick to prove our point ;)

1342374841_gymviewmagnifica.jpg.d1c71cfdcdcbde834f542a6b250c0533.jpg

Edited by Janet&Carl