Local currency Middle East?

jollyjones

I'm shortly cruising the Silver Wind Athens to Dubai and will travel with plenty of $US and Euros in cash, but I am rather perplexed about how to handle local currency for brief stops in Egypt, Jordan, and Oman. I'm solo and am unlikely to spend much, if any, time ashore except on ship excursions so I wouldn't need much cash. I'm dubious about ATMs when I won't be around to sort it out if one eats my card, and trying to get these currencies here in Bermuda is likely to be difficult, not to mention very expensive.

How have those of you who have travelled this itinerary handled it? Whilst I don't expect to be able to use $US, is it possible to do so when all the cash I need is for tips for the tour guides? Even at a lousy exchange rate, it'd still be cheaper than ending up with all sorts of odd cash I won't use again.

And will the taxi from the ship to my hotel in Dubai take $US? I could probably get some Dirhams before I go if I'm lucky.

I doubt that taxi drivers in many cities other than the US will accept US Dollars.

I understand your concern.

People in the tourism industries are likely to gladly accept USD.

Re. the taxi: One way I get around this problem is to have the hotel pick me up at the airport and charge the transfer to my room bill. It has worked well over the years. No problems with currency issues. And no fear of getting ripped off by an unscrupulous taxi driver taking me the (very!) long way from the airport to the hotel.

PS: I just see that you are concerned about transfer from ship to hotel -- not from airport. Sorry. Hotel might still pick you up at the port. Or the Silversea Shore Excursions desk will gladly arrange a private car on arrival -- for a price! :)

Edited by Observer

In Egypt and Oman we've been able to use USA currency for everything including tours, taxis, etc.

In Jordan if you go to The Lost City of Petra you will need local currency to entrance fees unless you take an organized tour where this is built in to the price. If you do take an organized tour that includes Petra I would also include a guide once you arrive who works there in lieu with whatever guide you have on your way over there. That guide can be paid in USA currency.

On our way to Petra we had them make a stop where we went to a money exchange store. In the scheme of things even if the exchange rate was not 100% optimal it was no big deal.

The Taxi in Dubai will take USA currency.

Keith

In Egypt and Oman we've been able to use USA currency for everything including tours, taxis, etc.

In Jordan if you go to The Lost City of Petra you will need local currency to entrance fees unless you take an organized tour where this is built in to the price. If you do take an organized tour that includes Petra I would also include a guide once you arrive who works there in lieu with whatever guide you have on your way over there. That guide can be paid in USA currency.

On our way to Petra we had them make a stop where we went to a money exchange store. In the scheme of things even if the exchange rate was not 100% optimal it was no big deal.

The Taxi in Dubai will take USA currency.

Keith

Hi Keith,

Thank you so much - you have settled most of my worries! I am on a ship excursion to Petra so I really didn't want to have to worry about getting dinars - I'm happy to know I can tip in $US.

Ditto for the other ports - I opted for ship excursions even though they are more expensive but as a solo female traveller, I felt it would be safer in the Middle East - I just would like to be able to tip the guides and maybe buy some local souvenirs (if I can find anything not made in China, an increasingly difficult task!)

jollyjones you are very welcome and you are very wise to book excursions.

You most definitely can tip in USA dollars and you can purchase items in USA currency at each of the ports.

The Lost City of Petra is amazing. It is one of the most fascinating places we have visited.

I know exactly what you mean about finding items unique to the area and not made in China.

Keith