Credit cards, Travelers Checks or cash

Nottoold

Of course there are. Most banks have ATM cards w/o any credit card attached.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Was asking about debit, not credit. My bank tells me that to access my account by ATM, I must use their debit card which can also be used at a pos device.

I actually like ChuckTownSteve's idea of opening a "Travel Bank Account" and getting a separate debit card for access to your travelling money, but NOT ACCESS TO YOUR REGULAR BANK ACCOUNT.

I had my Debit card held by an ATM at my work on a Friday night. So for the weekend, I had no card, no cash and no access to a person to explain my plight. I had to wait until Monday to go into the Credit Union Office to retrieve it. If you are on a cruise and only in port one day, how would you do that.

Since our cruises are usually 21 days and we have several before and after cruises, we do take Traveler's Checks as we do not wish to carry a large sum of money. We can cash them in hotels and on the ship.

For small purchases we use cash and for large purchases we use a credit card.

We bring traveler's checks with us to be used in case we run out of the cash we've brought with us. Most times we never use them but, when we did, we have never had a problem cashing them on our cruises. We try to use cash as much as possible with credit cards being used for any large purchases.

Marianne

It all depends on where you are going and what line you are using.

In Europe last summer, we took ATM cards and credit cards. We opened a travel checking account and got ATM cards for it. One for DH, one for me, and one for Mom. That way, if one debit card was compromised, the others would still work.

I use a small bank, so I arranged with the staff to transfer a set amount into the account when I emailed them. I also checked my balance online a few times when I made withdrawals to see how the exchange rate worked out. When the card was used at a POS, they emailed me to make sure the amount was authorized. They were also able to text me if they needed a faster reply. I also carried a low transaction fee chip and Pin card. The chip and Pin cards and finally becoming available regularly in the US, but that wasn't the case a year ago.

We bring traveler's checks with us to be used in case we run out of the cash we've brought with us. Most times we never use them but, when we did, we have never had a problem cashing them on our cruises...

I'd check the cruise line current policy before using TCs. (Cunard, as one example, doesn't accept TCs for anything.)

The number of places which stopped accepting TCs has accelerated - as in some major hotel chains. American Express closed ALL of their storefront offices in 2013. One has to go to a participating bank. (A lot of help that is on a weekend or holiday.)

If you cannot conveniently cash a TC it's like having no money.

My hotel is part of a world-wide family of hotel brands. We are not permitted to take cash nor traveler check deposits at check-in. We do not do exchange traveler checks for cash, either. We can cash a check for $100, but only if the guest is an elite member of our frequent guest program.

For those that DO use the traveler checks, it would help those who want to do the same if you would post the exact place you exchanged: ship or specific country, town, and bank/hotel….