Disembarkation from San Diego

qsuzi

Any port can have a bad day. I've read "horror stories" about Ft. Lauderdale, Vancouver, and Miami....you name it.....sometimes its just bad planning....or bad luck.

San Diego has a lot to offer....great weather.....port proximity to the airport....and smaller ships. (We don't have 12,000 guest a day as they have had in FLL and MIA arriving at the airport in one day.)

The street in front of the pier has been under construction for 3 years, and is now complete.

Two lanes are open in each direction, and the major intersection at Broadway is finished.

We may be in for another round of sequastriton, and TSA was a very big problem last time.

Give San Diego another try....Disney has 10 sailing scheduled in the next year, and the NCL Sun is going to homeport next fall here.

David

David- I have cruised in and out of San Diego more times than I can count. I guess I've been lucky, we have never been held up at disembarkation. Have been delayed by medical emergencies and fog, but that had nothing to do with the port or officials.:rolleyes:

I love San Diego and cruising out of San Diego. :D Would never book the first plane out, but have been lucky any time after noon.

Looking forward to coming to your fair city again next March!;)

Edited by localady

Would like the following information from those of whom have disembarked from San Diego. The itinerary states a 7am return/arrival time in San Diego, but told disembarkation is more likely to be delayed in this port. Questions are:

1. What time do they make you leave your cabin? Don't have to.

2. What time does SELF ASSIST disembarkation start most of the time? 7:30

3. What time does SELF ASSIST disembarkation start most of the time when there is a delay? ?

4. How long does it take to disembark and go through customs generally when you are among the first to disembark? No time at all

I know the airport is less than 15 minutes from the port and airport arrival should be at least 60-90 minutes before your flight.

Thank you!!!

Just came back from Mexico and they started calling for Non US citizens at 6:30,

when they cleared, Self Assist start around 8:00.

Airport is 5 mins away, I still would not book a flight any earlier then

12 noon. Just incase there are any problems.

Thank you for the current information Pathfinder. We booked a 11:45am flight. While any port can have a bad day, we booked a later flight than usual at this port based on our experience and comments from cruisers.

Just off the Zaandam this past Thursday (9th). There were two tables with five border officers each so that process went well. The thing that held us up were the few folks who were tardy in getting to the immigration tables so the disembarkation process was delayed until about 9:30.

We were getting a tad anxious since our Amtrak to LAX was departing at 10:38 but all was well in the end (almost). Got to the Amtrak station only do discover that we had not picked up two of our smaller bags. We discovered the error at 10:00! (with a call to the platform for 10:20) I'm no long distance runner but I ran like the wind back to the pier, finagled my way back into the customs shed (without passport but with our pass card (now expired)). All shore side personnel were very helpful, even though they had to play by their rules, found my bags and grabbed a cab back to the Amtrak station with 3 minutes to spare (heavy tips were given).

Moral of the story: count your bags!

Edited by Mr Astro

Just off the Zaandam this past Thursday (9th). There were two tables with five border officers each so that process went well. The thing that held us up were the few folks who were tardy in getting to the immigration tables so the disembarkation process was delayed until about 9:30.

We were getting a tad anxious since our Amtrak to LAX was departing at 10:38 but all was well in the end (almost). Got to the Amtrak station only do discover that we had not picked up two of our smaller bags. We discovered the error at 10:00! (with a call to the platform for 10:20) I'm no long distance runner but I ran like the wind back to the pier, finagled my way back into the customs shed (without passport but with our pass card (now expired)). All shore side personnel were very helpful, even though they had to play by their rules, found my bags and grabbed a cab back to the Amtrak station with 3 minutes to spare (heavy tips were given).

Moral of the story: count your bags!

10 Border Officers??? No wonder it went well.:D We had a ship of around 800 "non-US" to clear, and only had 4 officers (could have been 5) last time.:eek:

Perhaps more pleasant banter would be more appropriate for a cruise board.

igraf

In San diego that is going well. Oh pardon me, everything always goes smooth there:D.
Edited by igraf

Perhaps more pleasant banter would be more appropriate for a cruise board.

igraf

What is unpleasant? Should we only make positive comments instead of telling the truth? Why is this so upsetting? The op has asked a question and posters have answered. It's totally up to the op to listen or disregard what is written.

What is unpleasant? Should we only make positive comments instead of telling the truth? Why is this so upsetting? The op has asked a question and posters have answered. It's totally up to the op to listen or disregard what is written.

I was not offended. Many of the comments made me think, provided information I did not know or I needed to help me make my decision.