King Tut Tickets Dance!

JoyAnn

OK, I need to just happy vent a little! I am staying with hubby in San Diego (first time in CA) for a few days after our Hawaiian cruise. On our last day we decided to visit LA so I could see the city and visit the La Brea tar pits and museum (I've been a major archaeology buff among other things, since childhood). Well, I didn't realize the King Tut exhibit was going to be at the LA County Art Museum at the same time, basically right next door. I tried to get tickets back in the 70's but I was carrying my youngest child and couldn't travel to NYC to wait in line for tickets (no telephone sales for this event then), so I missed it. This is something I've always wanted to see. They won't have "the" gold mask or Tut's mummy (both are too fragile for this trip) but they have 150 pieces from his tomb and his family member's tombs.

I'm very excited. Childhood dream to go to Egypt, but this will do for now.

Congrats on the tickets for the exhibit, had an email from a HAL cruiser friend and he recently viewed the show in L.A., told me it was awesome. It must be at least twenty years ago that an exhibit ran in Toronto, about 200 miles from my home. Only a certain amount of tickets were sold for the day and you received a specific time for viewing. My husband has always been very interested in the Egyptian History, so we just had to go, it was quite a detailed showing and I enjoyed it very much, am sure you will too.

Happy sailing and make the most of your stay in Southern Cal, wonderful area. . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I'm so excited, I'm almost busting. My dad was supposed to go get those tickets for me at the Met in NYC all those years ago but he was working and I couldn't stand on line for hours in my condition at that time. So to find out the new exhibit is in LA when we were going to be there is quite a thrill. I had to try to book the tickets 3 times because you only had 2 minutes to input the information (and you have to pick a time "beginning at" for each date), but I finally got them, and audio "tours" by Omar Sharif.

You are so lucky you got to see the original tour! That must have been awesome.

Thanks for joining me in my dance tonight!

Congrats on the tickets for the exhibit, had an email from a HAL cruiser friend and he recently viewed the show in L.A., told me it was awesome. It must be at least twenty years ago that an exhibit ran in Toronto, about 200 miles from my home. Only a certain amount of tickets were sold for the day and you received a specific time for viewing. My husband has always been very interested in the Egyptian History, so we just had to go, it was quite a detailed showing and I enjoyed it very much, am sure you will too.

Happy sailing and make the most of your stay in Southern Cal, wonderful area. . . . . . . . . . . . . .

You'll really enjoy that. I saw the exhibition that came to London in the 1970s and was just overawed. Everything was so beautiful and looked as though it had been made just the day before - couldn't believe the artifacts were thousands of years old!

I'd love to see them again. By the way, we had to stand in line for 5 hours when we saw them in London!! At least once we were inside the museum we could stay for as long as we liked. :)

Living in NJ, I have visited the Met quite a few times and their extensive Egyptian Antiquities exhibits. I even stayed in Vegas last year at the Luxor (where else) and took the King Tut tomb tour (which was very good for only $5.00). But nothing is like seeing the real thing, or at least things that come from his tomb. This will be a dream come true for me. I do hope someday to visit Egypt, as well.

I well remember a King Tut museum show in Boston in the early 60s. You just don't forget something like that. susana.

Are you sure it was the 60's. ? There was a big exhibition in the the 70's that travelled through out the US. I saw it in DC. Great exhibition. :)

One of the reasons....actually there were several......for picking the Volendam cruise out of Ft Lauderdale was the chance to see the Tut exhibit. We timed the cruise so that we'll be staying a couple of days longer at the end of the cruise to see the exhibit. The hotel we're staying at, both pre and post, has a nice package deal that includes tickets, etc., for the exhibit. I'm excited! :D

I'm sure you'll love the exhibit. I saw the Tut exhibit in the 70's in LA. Have a marvelous time. FYI, one of the Egyptian curators is usually around. My DH had a great talk with him and he answered several questions DH had. The jewelry was so amazing also.

OK, I need to just happy vent a little! I am staying with hubby in San Diego (first time in CA) for a few days after our Hawaiian cruise. On our last day we decided to visit LA so I could see the city and visit the La Brea tar pits and museum (I've been a major archaeology buff among other things, since childhood). Well, I didn't realize the King Tut exhibit was going to be at the LA County Art Museum at the same time, basically right next door. I tried to get tickets back in the 70's but I was carrying my youngest child and couldn't travel to NYC to wait in line for tickets (no telephone sales for this event then), so I missed it. This is something I've always wanted to see. They won't have "the" gold mask or Tut's mummy (both are too fragile for this trip) but they have 150 pieces from his tomb and his family member's tombs.

I'm very excited. Childhood dream to go to Egypt, but this will do for now.

Wow, others that get into Egypt as much as I do! I have always wanted to visit Egypt too, but don't think that will be happening anytime soon unfortunately.

We will be going to LA too a few days in Nov. just before the exhibit ends. Can't wait! Be sure to post a full review upon returning.

One of the reasons....actually there were several......for picking the Volendam cruise out of Ft Lauderdale was the chance to see the Tut exhibit. We timed the cruise so that we'll be staying a couple of days longer at the end of the cruise to see the exhibit. The hotel we're staying at, both pre and post, has a nice package deal that includes tickets, etc., for the exhibit. I'm excited! :D

That is a great reason to take a cruise, IMHO!!

I sure will. Make sure you buy your tickets early, so you aren't disappointed. They sell them through Ticketmaster at the museum web site or you can call.

Wow, others that get into Egypt as much as I do! I have always wanted to visit Egypt too, but don't think that will be happening anytime soon unfortunately.

We will be going to LA too a few days in Nov. just before the exhibit ends. Can't wait! Be sure to post a full review upon returning.

The jewelry is one of my favorite parts of any Egyptian exhibit. I LOVE jewelry.

Thanks about the tip about the curator, I'll be sure to watch for one.

I'm sure you'll love the exhibit. I saw the Tut exhibit in the 70's in LA. Have a marvelous time. FYI, one of the Egyptian curators is usually around. My DH had a great talk with him and he answered several questions DH had. The jewelry was so amazing also.

According to all of the advertising being done down here, the "Tutankhamun and the Golden Age of the Pharaohs" tour will be at the Museum of Art in Ft Lauderdale from December 15/05 until April 23/06 before moving to Chicago's Field Museum (May 19/06-January 1/07) and Philadelphia's Franklin Institute (January 31/07-September 30/07). The exhibit will feature 130 artifacts associated with the "boy king", some to be shown for the first time.

For more info you can visit http://www.nationalgeographic.com/tut or http://www.KingTut.org.

Are you sure it was the 60's. ? There was a big exhibition in the the 70's that travelled through out the US. I saw it in DC. Great exhibition. :)

After your question, I really wondered. But I left Boston in 1964 so it had to be before then. That's when you're happy to find Google.

http://www.lacitybeat.com/article.php?id=2427&IssueNum=113

Overall, about 1.1 million people saw the ’60s Tut show in Washington, Philadelphia, New Haven, Houston, Omaha, Chicago, Seattle, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Cleveland, Boston, St. Louis, Baltimore, and Dayton. (Statistics aren’t available for two other stops, Detroit and Toledo.) Yet its memory seems to have receded from the public consciousness – as well as institutional records – in Los Angeles, where it was difficult to find anyone who recalled the show. (A reader originally alerted CityBeat about the first exhibition’s existence.)

I had the pleasure of seeing the Tut exhibit in Chicago at the Field Museum in the 70's. I still have my souvenir book which is dated 1976. It was magnificent and hope to catch it again as it makes the rounds this time.

Thank you Traveller! It will be a fantastic end to a wonderful vacation (I hope).

Enjoy the exhibition--we saw it in Seattle with our six week old son in October 1978. We bought the set of slides and still show them sometimes--fantastic show and I hope you will enjoy every minute.

I had the pleasure of seeing the Tut exhibit in Chicago at the Field Museum in the 70's. I still have my souvenir book which is dated 1976. It was magnificent and hope to catch it again as it makes the rounds this time.

I read that they are not going to allow the artifacts to leave Egypt again, so it may be our last chance to see them.

JoyAnn: we have been to LA and the King Tut exhibit in June. One thing we found was that the actual King Tut part is at the end of the exhibit. The first part is a major exhibit of Egypt artifacts, not necessarily King Tut stuff. We spent two hours winding through the exhibit and got to the King Tut portion with little time to really look at it. We were on a time schedule and thought the 2 1/2 hours would be long enough. We probably spent close to 2 hr looking at exhibits before we got to the King Tut portion. Both my wife and I felt that we could have spent another hour just on the King Tut portion. It is not set up with galleries branching off that you can go to one or another; instead it is a long winding show and everyone moves along at some pace. Some pieces are hard to get near due to number of people and some are not. The let you in in groups of about 30 people but inside you can move at your own pace. Just don't spend so much time on the first part that you do not have time for the King Tut part which is about 1/2 way though. Also, we found the recorded narrative to be confusing. Not all exhibits are talked about only certain ones and you have to look up near the top corner of the exhibit case to see what number it is. Food and water were sold near the tent they had erected for waiting under, sure helped in the hot sun. There are also portable toilets near by. The tar pits are not much these days but it is about a 5 min walk from them to the Tut exhibit which is on the next block; a long block away.

You'll like it. I visited Egypt a few years back and went to see the King Tut artifacts at the museum in Cairo. I enjoyed it so much that I spent almost 8 hours alone on that floor....my traveling companions decided to go off on their own and catch up with me later. Guess they weren't as enthralled as I was!

They would have had to close the place with me in it. ;-P

You'll like it. I visited Egypt a few years back and went to see the King Tut artifacts at the museum in Cairo. I enjoyed it so much that I spent almost 8 hours alone on that floor....my traveling companions decided to go off on their own and catch up with me later. Guess they weren't as enthralled as I was!

Thank you, Fred, for this valuable advice, I'm putting it down in my travel notes so we don't waste precious time during our visit to the museum.

We don't have to leave at any particular time, do they make you leave the exhibit after a certain period of time once you enter?

JoyAnn: we have been to LA and the King Tut exhibit in June. One thing we found was that the actual King Tut part is at the end of the exhibit. The first part is a major exhibit of Egypt artifacts, not necessarily King Tut stuff. We spent two hours winding through the exhibit and got to the King Tut portion with little time to really look at it. We were on a time schedule and thought the 2 1/2 hours would be long enough. We probably spent close to 2 hr looking at exhibits before we got to the King Tut portion. Both my wife and I felt that we could have spent another hour just on the King Tut portion. It is not set up with galleries branching off that you can go to one or another; instead it is a long winding show and everyone moves along at some pace. Some pieces are hard to get near due to number of people and some are not. The let you in in groups of about 30 people but inside you can move at your own pace. Just don't spend so much time on the first part that you do not have time for the King Tut part which is about 1/2 way though. Also, we found the recorded narrative to be confusing. Not all exhibits are talked about only certain ones and you have to look up near the top corner of the exhibit case to see what number it is. Food and water were sold near the tent they had erected for waiting under, sure helped in the hot sun. There are also portable toilets near by. The tar pits are not much these days but it is about a 5 min walk from them to the Tut exhibit which is on the next block; a long block away.

Hubby surprised me by taking the morning off from work. Bought tickets for the 9:00 a.m. entry. There were no crowds. However, by the time we left, there were already masses of people. Suggest you buy tickets for an early, non-weekend time. The audio was wonderful. We enjoyed the first exhibits as much as the Tut stuff. The condition of the artifacts is amazing. Color is magnificient. Have a wonderful time.

We have tickets for 10 AM entry on a Wednesday morning. We are coming in from San Diego by train, which will arrive around 9 am.

You have a nice husband!

Thanks for the advice.

Joy

Hubby surprised me by taking the morning off from work. Bought tickets for the 9:00 a.m. entry. There were no crowds. However, by the time we left, there were already masses of people. Suggest you buy tickets for an early, non-weekend time. The audio was wonderful. We enjoyed the first exhibits as much as the Tut stuff. The condition of the artifacts is amazing. Color is magnificient. Have a wonderful time.

Archived