Not impressed with new pricing structure

VASOXFANN

Agreed Tim!!! Fantastica experience guests have priority dining preference over Bella,,,wondering how the Aurea experience pax "My Time" dining will affect the number of early and late dining pax. I suppose we will have to wait a few months after the program is in effect to see how many Bella and Fantastica experience pax actually were approved or declined their dining preference.

The 'My Time' dining is also interesting. As Bella and Fantastica guests cannot choose it - at any price - I wonder if there will be a tendency, even among those Aurea guests who prefer traditional dining, to choose My Time in order to be 'first class'.

One can already start to imagine the Aurea experience as a slighter broader Yacht Club. On the Lirica and Musica Class ships, Aurea is practically Yacht Club with the exception that the lower classes are allowed to pay to enter the first class sun deck for a day or half day. Then they have to pay for their drinks too.

The 'My Time' dining is also interesting. As Bella and Fantastica guests cannot choose it - at any price - I wonder if there will be a tendency, even among those Aurea guests who prefer traditional dining, to choose My Time in order to be 'first class'.

One can already start to imagine the Aurea experience as a slighter broader Yacht Club. On the Lirica and Musica Class ships, Aurea is practically Yacht Club with the exception that the lower classes are allowed to pay to enter the first class sun deck for a day or half day. Then they have to pay for their drinks too.

I kind of find it odd that nothing was added to the Yacht Club experience. Yes,,we have a private area,,yes all of our drinks are included within the YC venue which we pay a premium for,,,but other than a better stateroom location, a butler and private concierge,,which we hardly ever use,,there really isn't much difference between YC and lets say the Fantastica or Aurea experience. Heck,,,if I want a drink at the Black and White Lounge,,I have to pay for it,,where as a Fantastica or Aurea experience pax will get them for free. Add in gelato, pastries,,,etc,,and the YC experience doesn't seem all that appealing anymore.:(

Except now they can honour the requests of non-Bella class guests and tell the Bella class guests who did not get their request that they were told they were bottom of the pile from the time of booking. MSC no longer has to work-around the randomness of the distribution for late and early sittings.

And that's my concern. I don't want to get on the ship and find out that we didn't get our preferred dining time. As a Bella guest, we'd be at the bottom of the list. Guess I'll just monitor these boards and see how things shake out. We really liked the idea of trying MSC. Not sure now that it will happen:(

there really isn't much difference between YC and lets say the Fantastica or Aurea experience. Heck,,,if I want a drink at the Black and White Lounge,,I have to pay for it.

When I was in YC on my recent trip I actually bought the Allegrissimo package for that reason, Mike. All the entertainment is outside the YC area which is where I hang out at night so the all-inclusive drinks in YC aren't of much benefit to me. In fact, one night I wanted to get a brandy in Top Sail Lounge and they wanted to charge me for it!! I told them I was drinking it down around the rest of the ship with the package and that it was shocking to think it wasn't available in YC. I was then given a choice of three brandies - none of which I knew - an Italian, a Greek and a Spanish one!!! I opted for the Spanish one. It was undrinkable :mad:

Add in gelato, pastries,,,etc,,and the YC experience doesn't seem all that appealing anymore.:(

While I enjoy the YC I will only book it when it's on offer which is very seldom. Most of the "suites" are identical in size to B2 balcony cabins. Adding an Allegrissimo premium package to a well-priced Fantastica (now) balcony gives me an alternative luxury cruise to YC. The ONLY extra I miss is the YC restaurant as I do think the MDRs are far too crowded.

When I was in YC on my recent trip I actually bought the Allegrissimo package for that reason, Mike. All the entertainment is outside the YC area which is where I hang out at night so the all-inclusive drinks in YC aren't of much benefit to me. In fact, one night I wanted to get a brandy in Top Sail Lounge and they wanted to charge me for it!! I told them I was drinking it down around the rest of the ship with the package and that it was shocking to think it wasn't available in YC. I was then given a choice of three brandies - none of which I knew - an Italian, a Greek and a Spanish one!!! I opted for the Spanish one. It was undrinkable :mad:

While I enjoy the YC I will only book it when it's on offer which is very seldom. Most of the "suites" are identical in size to B2 balcony cabins. Adding an Allegrissimo premium package to a well-priced Fantastica (now) balcony gives me an alternative luxury cruise to YC. The ONLY extra I miss is the YC restaurant as I do think the MDRs are far too crowded.

Bea,,,we'll still continue to book the Yacht Club,,just for it's privacy and less congested pool area,,and of course the restaurant. It just seems as though MSC could have bumped the amenities up a little,,,we are already paying a premium. I think they could have at least extended the drink policy to the rest of the ship or given us double loyalty points.

It just seems as though MSC could have bumped the amenities up a little,,,we are already paying a premium. I think they could have at least extended the drink policy to the rest of the ship or given us double loyalty points.

I agree totally. I've always felt it's unfair to allocate the same number of points for an inside cabin and a YC one considering the price difference.

Bea,,,we'll still continue to book the Yacht Club,,just for it's privacy and less congested pool area,,and of course the restaurant. It just seems as though MSC could have bumped the amenities up a little,,,we are already paying a premium. I think they could have at least extended the drink policy to the rest of the ship or given us double loyalty points.

Totally agree with you Mikesa1721, double loyalty points and also free wifi when sailing in their Premium product, the Yacht Club.

I don't see what is big fuss about ? I really think other cruise line have same thing don't they :confused:? All this " dinning choice " and " priority embarkation " for my opinion just a bull.... to make some people fill "special" ,in reality everyone get what they want . Same on Celebrity all this VIP and Aqua classes just a other excuse to have couple extra $$ from customer. Do I fill low class not booking Aqua cabin ? Not at all .

I've never had priority dining (it's dining, not dinning) assignments or whatever it's called on any of my cruises. I've just booked my choice and gotten it. I don't eat dinner after 8 PM at home, and I'm not about to be forced into it on a cruise.

Edited by VASOXFANN

Why don't you write to the MSC rep about that? It seems their changes have messed a lot up!

Edited by VASOXFANN

Why don't you write to the MSC rep about that? It seems their changes have messed a lot up!

Unfortunately MSC Cruises USA has about as much pull with the shot callers in Geneva as I have. We are very happy with YC product and like I stated before,,we will still book the YC just for the perks that we do receive now,,,it just would have been nice to see a little bump in perks thats all.

I kind of find it odd that nothing was added to the Yacht Club experience. Yes,,we have a private area,,yes all of our drinks are included within the YC venue which we pay a premium for,,,but other than a better stateroom location, a butler and private concierge,,which we hardly ever use,,there really isn't much difference between YC and lets say the Fantastica or Aurea experience. Heck,,,if I want a drink at the Black and White Lounge,,I have to pay for it,,where as a Fantastica or Aurea experience pax will get them for free. Add in gelato, pastries,,,etc,,and the YC experience doesn't seem all that appealing anymore.:(

I agree Mikesa. Looking at the packages it looks like our next booking will be the Aurea Experience rather than YC (unless there are sale prices). That "Experience" at first glance appears superior in it's inclusions to the YC package. We do not book YC to feel "superior" to other guests but for it's inclusions. Is it the Premium Algrissimo package included with Aurea? If it is I would definitely book that over YC ........

Is it the Premium Algrissimo package included with Aurea? If it is I would definitely book that over YC ........

Unfortunately, not. In fact when the "Experiences" pricing level was first introduced, the included drinks package was the "Cheers" one which only included wine and beer at mealtimes. In their wisdom (?) MSC upped it to the basic Allegrissimo.

Unfortunately, not. In fact when the "Experiences" pricing level was first introduced, the included drinks package was the "Cheers" one which only included wine and beer at mealtimes. In their wisdom (?) MSC upped it to the basic Allegrissimo.

Bea,,,would the all inclusive drinks in the YC be comparable to the basic Allegrissimo package minus the gelato and pastries??

Bea,,,would the all inclusive drinks in the YC be comparable to the basic Allegrissimo package minus the gelato and pastries??

It would be very similar except for, in my recent experience where I could get cognac on the drinks package (XO on the premium :D) but not in YC without charge. However, bottled beer is included in YC whereas it's only draught that's included in basic All.

I've noticed from the Divina threads over time that there are quite a few differences in the range of drinks available. I get the distinct impression that MSC are catering to the American market more than you may realise. Same goes for dining - menus seem to me to have items included that I haven't seen in MDRs in the Med.

Bytheway, gelato is available on the basic (it's Classic Allegrissimo I think on your side of the pond), the pastries are included on the premium package. Don't forget, you have them available all day in Top Sail Lounge (I'm drooling at the moment at the image of the TSL buffet LOL)

Edited by Beamafar

It would be very similar except for, in my recent experience where I could get cognac on the drinks package (XO on the premium :D) but not in YC without charge. However, bottled beer is included in YC whereas it's only draught that's included in basic All.

I've noticed from the Divina threads over time that there are quite a few differences in the range of drinks available. I get the distinct impression that MSC are catering to the American market more than you may realise. Same goes for dining - menus seem to me to have items included that I haven't seen in MDRs in the Med.

Bytheway, gelato is available on the basic (it's Classic Allegrissimo I think on your side of the pond), the pastries are included on the premium package. Don't forget, you have them available all day in Top Sail Lounge (I'm drooling at the moment at the image of the TSL buffet LOL)

Thanks Bea!!! I'm hoping our repo next October will be more reminiscent of The Mediterranean Way. We would really like to experience MSC the traditional way without the American influences. This would be a great way to prepare us for the Med cruise we are looking to book in the summer of 2016.

Just curious...are you able to get the frozen "fruity" drinks from the bar menus in the YC? Like pina coladas and such?

Just curious...are you able to get the frozen "fruity" drinks from the bar menus in the YC? Like pina coladas and such?

Absolutely!!! Our bartender would make all sorts of concoctions for everyone at the bar to try,,,some we loved,,some we didn't.:D

,,there really isn't much difference between YC and lets say the Fantastica or Aurea experience. Heck,,,if I want a drink at the Black and White Lounge,,I have to pay for it,,where as a Fantastica or Aurea experience pax will get them for free. Add in gelato, pastries,,,etc,,and the YC experience doesn't seem all that appealing anymore.:(

Allegrissimo is only included with the Aurea experience not Fantastica.

Pastries must be a Divina thing, I have never come across those. What sort of pastries do you mean? Mince pies? Jam tarts?

Yes, most Yacht Club guests I have met have also paid for Allegrissimo otherwise they are 'prisoners' of the YC area. The ones I didn't meet were either prisoners or teatotallers.

Remember only the Fantasia class (four ships) have Yacht Club. The other eight don't. Aurea looks like the new Yacht Club except without the butlers but with freedom of all the bars and across all the fleet.

Pastries must be a Divina thing, I have never come across those. What sort of pastries do you mean? Mince pies? Jam tarts?

MSC uses the term "Pastry Shop" in the Allegrissimo premium info. It actually means the cakes and creams in the little shot glasses in the Gelateria place in the Phoenician Plaza/Piazzetta/Piazza Del Doge (Preziosa/Splendida/Divina) area on Deck 6. It always drives me nuts as it conjures up images of big thick wedges of apple-filled pastry :mad::

"as well as all items from the 'Gelateria' menu and Pastry Shop".

Edited by Beamafar

Thanks Bea!!! I'm hoping our repo next October will be more reminiscent of The Mediterranean Way. We would really like to experience MSC the traditional way without the American influences. This would be a great way to prepare us for the Med cruise we are looking to book in the summer of 2016.

That's funny as I was hoping Divina would keep a little of her "Americanisation" when I try her out in the Med next September. Just goes to show MSC has its work cut out trying to please all the people all the time when we all are looking for different experiences on the one ship :D

I think when it comes to drinks and meals MSC will attempt to incorporate some elements for the majority nationalities onboard any given itinerary, hence there are brands more familiar in the US onboard Divina while she sails from Miami.

Repos are a different animal, altogether. Just read the thread about the Grand Voyages to get a flavour. As I haven't done one, I can't really say how your's might be. It will depend on which market MSC pushes it - that may give an indication on the predominant nationality MSC plans to cater for onboard. I've been told to expect some Brazilian food, music and dance on my repo from South America in March so hopefully yours will be have more of a Med vibe seeing as you're starting from there.

MSC uses the term "Pastry Shop" in the Allegrissimo premium info. It actually means the cakes and creams in the little shot glasses in the Gelateria place in the Phoenician Plaza/Piazzetta/Piazza Del Doge (Preziosa/Splendida/Divina) area on Deck 6. It always drives me nuts as it conjures up images of big thick wedges of apple-filled pastry :mad::

"as well as all items from the 'Gelateria' menu and Pastry Shop".

Many thanks for that. It is a Divina thing! I haven't seen those on MSC before.

I am afraid I even had to resort to Wikipedia to shore-up my understanding of the word 'Gelataria'.

"Gelato (Italian pronunciation: [dʒeˈlaːto]; plural: gelati) is the Italian word for ice cream, derived from the Latin word "gelātus" (meaning frozen). In American English this word commonly refers to varieties of ice cream made in a traditional Italian style."

I am starting to appreciate the culture shock many North Americans have on a regular MSC ship! The claims that the pizza just isn't pizza etc.... :)

Edited by Skipper Tim

Many thanks for that. It is a Divina thing! I haven't seen those on MSC before.

Tim, I'm not sure what you mean by it being a Divina thing - you've been on Fantasia. The cake shop in the Piazza San Giorgio is referred to by MSC as the "Pastry" shop. The Gelataria menus in that area on Fantasia class ships use the heading "pastries" if memory serves me. (Memo to self: take photos of menus for future reference LOL)

MSC in a press statement some time ago said that Divina will remain as it is while in the Med next year ie Americanised, when it comes out of drydock to return to Miami it will have even more things that make it more Americanised.

Mike ... I doubt that unless you take a cruise around Europe on MSC you will get what you are hoping to find on Divina on the trip back to Miami.

Last November heading to Miami from Venice they removed most if not all of the Italian wines from the ship and replaced them with Canadian and American wines despite the fact that the majority of passengers were from Europe, on the first day of the cruise they also changed most of the drinks available much to the annoyance of the bar tenders who had to resort to making cocktails from a hand written book.

It will be interesting to see what they do change next year.

Tim, I'm not sure what you mean by it being a Divina thing - you've been on Fantasia. The cake shop in the Piazza San Giorgio is referred to by MSC as the "Pastry" shop. The Gelataria menus in that area on Fantasia class ships use the heading "pastries" if memory serves me. (Memo to self: take photos of menus for future reference LOL)

I have been trying to jog my memory. I remember the space "Piazza San Giorgio". I can only remember it as a beautiful, deserted space with a fountain surrounded by shops.

I have never heard mention of "pastry" or "pastries" aboard MSC.

Especially if the word does not mean "pastries", I am sure my mind would have taken note. Then, my Fantasia voyage is 18 months ago and things may have changed. Still, I cannot remember any mention of "pastries" on the Armonia earlier this year.