Not impressed with new pricing structure

VASOXFANN

Having cruised long enough to where we get the extras on Carnival and RCL, yes we get more in our cabins, and yes we do get to go to places others with less benes. get to go! Perhaps you haven't reached the levels of loyalty to experience the extras in the cabins, and around the ships?

That is a form of 'class structure' also!

I also said I don't know much about the new pricing structure yet, but I think the pricing structure shouldn't have been changed!

You're comparing apples and oranges. One room where some drinks are served is a lot different than an entire sun deck! And when did RC and Carnival remove turn-down service from it's Gold (RC) or Blue and Red-card (Carnival) guests?

Edited by VASOXFANN

Can't agree with you, RCL and Carnival are every bit as involved in giving more to people who spend more, and to those having more benes.!

A few niceties(?), go to a line on one of these ships and see the dirty looks people give those who can go to the shorter lines because of their 'loyalty status', or can sit in the nicer reserved areas of the theater, or who can go to the front of the line on Port days! You've never seen the Diamond Lounge, or the Concierge Lounge where only higher members, and suite cruisers can go! Yes, money spent, and class status gets you more on RCL and Carnival, you just haven't noticed!

As far as MSC goes,,,

Are children of lower ages still going to cruise free?

Are children aged 12-17 still going to cruise at half price?

We don't have young children, and thought this past practice unfair to the rest of the paying guests!

We didn't complain about it, we accepted it as what MSC wanted to do!

There's too much to enjoy on a cruise to complain about every little thing!

Yeah I don't agree with this at all. And I have noticed and I don't care about perks people have earned or payed for extras, and they aren't that great of perks, not the type I would sit and say, gosh i wish i had that perk.

The principal is horrible. A steerage class of people who may or may not be treated differently. Many who will be duped by a low price but get a sub standard cruise, and be dictated to where their cabin may be, what time they can eat dinner, etc...

Children sailing free is irrelevant.

And frankly those who are unhappy with the other end of the spectrum have a legit beef, why should I be forced to get a drink plan I don't want and won't use.

My DH and I enjoyed our cruise on the Poesia, and we hoped to try the Divina in the near future.

I received an Email offer, so I logged into the MSC website. I was surprised to see the "experience levels" listed. Curious, I read the available information about them. I'm not thrilled that MSC is creating different classes of passengers, and putting the levels on cruise cards for everyone to see :(

I realize that all cruiselines have perks for suite guests, etc, but this is different! When I pull out my cruise card to get into my room or buy a drink, I don't want other cruisers seeing how much I paid. I wish MSC would have just left things alone.

I have a real problem with classifying passengers as steerage and/or different classes. This bothers me to the point of continuing to take my business elsewhere!

you should see X and Cunard then;)

It is not the anti-class sentiment expressed above that I suffer from at all.

I am critical of MSC for not respecting that we are all different and prefer to spend our hard-earned holiday budgets in totally different ways, for taking the choice away, for ignorantly lumping us into homogenous, mindless marketing groups.

The 'experience stereotypes' should never have escaped the wild internal memos of MSC's marketing department. They are offensive, naive and say far more about the company than they do about its customers.

Hi all,

We've read your feedback and want to clarify about our new Inclusive Experiences and what they offer. Please note that there are slight differences between what is offered in the North American market and in our other markets.

The Inclusive Experiences are designed to allow guests to customize their cruise experiences. Guests who select the Bella Experience will receive the best price and have the option to add on any additional amenities they desire. The Inclusive Experience chosen will not impact the level of service received.

Here are the answers to some of the questions mentioned:

-The Bella Experience will receive cleaning twice per day and turn down service. This is offered fleet wide.

-Guests traveling together can book both the Bella and Fantastica Experiences and put in requests to dine together. Requests will be confirmed on board and will be based on availability.

-All guests can still pay to access the adult-only sun decks. Aurea Experience guests will receive complimentary access.

-Guests who have booked the Bella Experience, still have the option to have their children participate in all complimentary kids activities and have access to the kid's clubs. For the special DoReMi Chef and Language Classes there is an additional fee of $30 per child.

For additional information, visit our FAQs about Inclusive Experiences at: http://www.msccruisesusa.com/us_en/Multimedia/MSC-Cruises-New-Pricing-FAQ.aspx

Regards,

You're comparing apples and oranges. One room where some drinks are served is a lot different than an entire sun deck! And when did RC and Carnival remove turn-down service from it's Gold (RC) or Blue and Red-card (Carnival) guests?

We can live without turn down service!

And its not just one room, its 2 rooms where you can't go, it's every line you stand in on the ship, its every time you get on or off the ship, its every time you go to sit in the theater to watch a show, so you call it apples and oranges, I'll call it all fruit!:eek:

As I said previously I wouldn't think this change MSC is making is good, but all the cruise lines have changed in the last few years! And none of them have added!

AS far as the pay sun deck, you'll still be able to pay to go there!

Edited by American Bear

Yeah I don't agree with this at all. And I have noticed and I don't care about perks people have earned or payed for extras, and they aren't that great of perks, not the type I would sit and say, gosh i wish i had that perk.

The principal is horrible. A steerage class of people who may or may not be treated differently. Many who will be duped by a low price but get a sub standard cruise, and be dictated to where their cabin may be, what time they can eat dinner, etc...

Children sailing free is irrelevant.

And frankly those who are unhappy with the other end of the spectrum have a legit beef, why should I be forced to get a drink plan I don't want and won't use.

Well Legion, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree!

Irrelevant to you might not be for others!;)

I do agree that MSC would be better served to leave well enough along, and not change things!

There has always been extras/perks/etc. on cruises for passengers paying more, which was my point to several on this forum, and it certainly isn't unique to MSC!

Some will be satisfied with the new MSC plan, and others will not!

I remember the changes RCL, Carnival, and NCL made a few years ago, the Forums were alive with anger! But everyone settled down, and its all forgotten now!

We can live without turn down service!

And its not just one room, its 2 rooms where you can't go, it's every line you stand in on the ship, its every time you get on or off the ship, its every time you go to sit in the theater to watch a show, so you call it apples and oranges, I'll call it all fruit!:eek:

As I said previously I wouldn't think this change MSC is making is good, but all the cruise lines have changed in the last few years! And none of them have added!

AS far as the pay sun deck, you'll still be able to pay to go there!

That concierge lounge stuff really doesn't matter to me. I'm not a big drinker, and standing around chatting with a bunch of stuffy people really doesn't appeal to me.

Re: the sun deck, none of us knew that until the MSC USA rep came on and posted, so don't even try that. I'm glad they made that change, as well as changing the cabin service back. While I remain skeptical, the fact that MSC is at least listening and responding to the criticism is encouraging.

I requested the MSC Cruises USA rep look at this thread and all of its posts to clarify some of the misconceptions that were associated with the new experience packages,,in particular,,the sun deck(deck 18) and the kids programs.

Nothing has changed with the sun deck,,it has always been and always will be an area which is available to everyone as well as all of the kids programs. You can choose to pay upfront for them by purchasing the experience,,or buy them ala cart by choosing the Bella experience. Here is the new deck plan which now lists the staterooms available for each experience package. http://www.msccruisesusa.com/us_en/Images/Divina_deckplan_experience_tcm12-104568.pdf

That is the deck plan of the Divina. MSC Experiences apply across the fleet of all twelve cruise ships. This topic is far broader than the Divina.

Here is the chart currently on display on MSC UK's website indicating the differences between the 'experiences'.

experiences.png

Here is the link to the live page. You can check to see if they have changed it to be consistent with the MSC rep's remarks above.

This clearly shows that only Bella guests do not receive:

• Cabin service twice a day
  • Free delivery for 24-hour room service
  • Breakfast in your cabin (delivery + breakfast are free)
  • Recreational activities for children
  • Opportunity to choose among the best cabins available
  • Maximum flexibility in booking (changing guest name, changing dates, lower cancellation fee)
  • Opportunity to book a SuperFamily cabin for the whole family
  • Priority in choice of dinner sitting

These were previously all available at the base fare. A new 'lower' class has been introduced with the worst cabins, worse service and lowest priority. There are no "misconceptions".

What is particularly galling is that the new lower class has been slipped out dressed with all the skilled misdirection of the MSC marketing machine, as if it were an improvement, and with considerably higher like-for-like fares than the superior "standard" experience just a year ago.

Let's be clear, Bella is not a 'low cost option with add-on extras' as has been portrayed by MSC. If you book Bella, you are guaranteed to have one of the worst-positioned cabins on the ship. You are guaranteed to have the lowest priority in choosing your dinner sitting. And, in direct contradiction to the rep, there is no second cabin service per day. There are no paid options to change any of these other than paying for Fantastica instead.

MSC have pulled a fast one by packaging together a new low in service level, extra charges for more things than ever before, the worst cabins on the ship and the lowest priorities, and calling it 'Bella'! LOL. You have to laugh at the audacity of the marketeers. Bella is a con.

'Bella' means 'beautiful' in Italian.

'MSC Bella' = the worst cruise experience ever offered for sale.

Beware! For the previous 'standard' baseline experience, you need to book Fantastica.

Edited by Skipper Tim

Tim ... Just re checked the UK site and the brochure displayed is for March 2015 to April 2016 which shows the changes i mentioned in my earlier post.

Cabin service twice a day that is/was not available on Bella has been removed.

Mike ... The Deck 18 area was available to Adults only and at a charge for a Half or Full Day and with extra costs for the Cabana things.

Well like a politician, MSC seems to have said all the correct things. Time will tell but the whole idea of the Bella experience just sounds wrong.

but if people choose to sail at the lowest wrung or can't afford anything else and MSC wishes to classify those people in that way, then so be it.

Who am I to tell MSC anything.

That concierge lounge stuff really doesn't matter to me. I'm not a big drinker, and standing around chatting with a bunch of stuffy people really doesn't appeal to me.

Re: the sun deck, none of us knew that until the MSC USA rep came on and posted, so don't even try that. I'm glad they made that change, as well as changing the cabin service back. While I remain skeptical, the fact that MSC is at least listening and responding to the criticism is encouraging.

I really know no more about this program other then what you all have stated here, but it does seem from MSC's response so far to Mike, should calm the worries by some! I guess we'll see!

I'm sure there will be postings here in the Forums addressing the new pricing put out by MSC in the future.

As the Divina 'experience' in the Caribbean is different then the rest of MSC's ships, it would make sense that some changes MSC will make in the future won't affect the Divina! I guess we'll see!

By the way, the specialty lounges don't necessarily mean stuffy people, most of the people in them are really friendly and nice just like the rest of the ship!

Happy cruising to all !:)

Tim ... Just re checked the UK site and the brochure displayed is for March 2015 to April 2016 which shows the changes i mentioned in my earlier post.

Cabin service twice a day that is/was not available on Bella has been removed.

Mike ... The Deck 18 area was available to Adults only and at a charge for a Half or Full Day and with extra costs for the Cabana things.

I must have used a blanket statement when referring to the Solarium (Sun Deck) area,,but you're right,,it is "supposed to be" for adults only, with full and half day pricing for loungers and clam shells.

I don't see what is big fuss about ? I really think other cruise line have same thing don't they :confused:? All this " dinning choice " and " priority embarkation " for my opinion just a bull.... to make some people fill "special" ,in reality everyone get what they want . Same on Celebrity all this VIP and Aqua classes just a other excuse to have couple extra $$ from customer. Do I fill low class not booking Aqua cabin ? Not at all .

The single biggest issue for me in booking the Bella experience is that they won't guarantee my dining time preference. That in itself would be the deal breaker. Unless this changes, MSC just lost a new cruising customer:(

It’s just a words . Same on HAL and X . Even if you book year before cruise they will not give you early diner unless you qualified but 2-3 times before cruise they will confirm it. Plus we all know we can change time on board .

The single biggest issue for me in booking the Bella experience is that they won't guarantee my dining time preference. That in itself would be the deal breaker. Unless this changes, MSC just lost a new cruising customer:(

You weren't guaranteed either Early or Late Dining before the packages were released. When you booked,,you requested one or the other and once you checked in, that's when your dining time would be assigned to you,,,nothing has changed here.

You weren't guaranteed either Early or Late Dining before the packages were released. When you booked,,you requested one or the other and once you checked in, that's when your dining time would be assigned to you,,,nothing has changed here.

Except now they can honour the requests of non-Bella class guests and tell the Bella class guests who did not get their request that they were told they were bottom of the pile from the time of booking. MSC no longer has to work-around the randomness of the distribution for late and early sittings.

Edited by Skipper Tim

Except now they can honour the requests of non-Bella class guests and tell the Bella class guests who did not get their request that they should have known they were bottom of the pile from the time of booking. MSC no longer has to work-around the randomness of the distribution for late and early sittings.

Agreed Tim!!! Fantastica experience guests have priority dining preference over Bella,,,wondering how the Aurea experience pax "My Time" dining will affect the number of early and late dining pax. I suppose we will have to wait a few months after the program is in effect to see how many Bella and Fantastica experience pax actually were approved or declined their dining preference.